The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 12-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
Lorac
Non-Newbie Sort

cloned bi-products

This incredible new product from cloned animals brings to mind a million possibilities. The media has alerted us that meat and milk and eggs from cloned animals is an idea we need to digest. I am scared in multi dementions. What effect will there be? Cheap produce? Strange species of SPAM? WHAT??? Your input? (as a spouse, I know that this will not take 5 posts to involve how to cook what.......)
Lorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Hot DOGS ??
Chihuleshules with Hot souce ??
Whale Peni in penna ??
Spam in a can that opens it self for you " Don't worry about those sharp edges , OOPs I cut my self , ohhhh look I'm bleeding GRAVY !!!!! "
Old 12-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

I don't see it happening anytime soon.
It currently costs $3k-$4k to clone a single calf. A traditional cow/calf ranching operation can breed and sell a weaned calf (at a profit) to a feedlot for $200-$300 to be raised until butcher age.
Starting costs for a cloned calf at several thousand dollars is NOT the way to bring 'cheaper' food to the grocery stores. The only thing that would do is price more and more people into becoming vegetarians.
hh
Old 12-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Pie
Gone and done

Cloned food has been happening for a long time. Just ask anyone who's planted the eyes from a spud...
Old 12-31-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

And we mustn't forget the avocadoes. They have been cloned for years.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Cloned food has been happening for a long time. Just ask anyone who's planted the eyes from a spud...
Isn't that "normal" reproduction, as opposed to cloning?
Old 12-31-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
Pie
Gone and done

You say po-TAH-to, I say po-TAY-to.

It is cloning. The "daughter" potato has identical DNA to the parent.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
wouldn't that be true of any cutting which is rooted?

Now, a potato grown from seed (as opposed to a seed potato) would have the dna of both parents. Come to think of it, I've never heard of potato seeds. Do they make seeds? Usually the tops die back, I've never seen a seed pod...
Old 01-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Pie
Gone and done

Yep. I'm just pointing out that nature has used cloning as a method of procreation for a very long time.
Aside from all that, HH's point is the overriding factor -- why would you bother? It might be worthwhile to create such an offspring for a champion racehorse (although I believe the Jockey Club forbids this) but why do it for food, when the usual process is so much cheaper and easier?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Just to be clear, the term is by-products.

A cloned bi-product would be Anne Heche.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
Lorac
Non-Newbie Sort

Isn't growing a spud eye more like having a child, not cloning? I imagine a more genetically produced item. If you were referring to something llke starter for bread, they would have killed yeast long ago.
Oh, and isn't SPAM "PRE-CLONE?, merely space-age like TANG?

And Rich, Yes, but My bi-product clone would be a mix of Rosie and Ellen...very happy
Lorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
Pie
Gone and done

How is it like having a child? There is no sexual reproduction involved; the daughter entity has the same genetic material as the parent.

Last edited by Pie; 01-01-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: didn't know the smiley code as well as I thought.
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I heard on the radio, yesterday, they have bred a cow that lacks the specific protein that "Mad Cow" needs to survive and grow. They're are injecting this cow with the disease to make sure their theory is correct.
If it works out well, I can see them wanting to clone this cow... a lot.

I think I'll start on my screenplay, hmmmm.....resistant cow....inject...cow doesn't contract disease....sun comes out...children dance....happy, happy....inside the cow the injected disease, not finding the protein, morphs into a time bomb disease, infecting every part of the cow....even the blood the insects are drinking...... [intermission], Lets all go to the lobby, Lets all go to the lobby, Lets all go to the lobby, And get ourselves a treat. [/intermission]...... Everybody dies .... The End.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Pollyanna.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #15
Pie
Gone and done

Yeah, and the LHC is going to make black holes and kill us all. Next!