The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-10-2019, 05:34 PM   #1801
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #1802
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Light pollution has been a problem for awhile. People like having the street lit up enough to be able to walk or bicycle without lights but don't want the yard lit up, especially at soul searing levels like vapor lights. You'd know that if you listened to people instead of lecturing them on what you've decided they want/need.
The best thing about LEDs is you can have more of them to light small areas where you want some light instead of having to carpet bomb the whole area to get light where you need it. The net result is using a lot less juice and not having the hedges growing night and day.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #1803
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
If you don't like that company, here's a Swiss company successfully doing carbon capture
Don't like it? It's great!

I only don't like it as an excuse not to have governments combat climate change, because it itself benefitted and is benefitting from just such a government program.

In fact, I like it so much that, even if they don't break even financially, selling the fuel they make, but they do do well enough ecologically I would support strong government subsidies to build them up.

Likewise the Swiss company.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #1804
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yes I did, that's why I refuted it. Did you read mine?
Do you even post, bro?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #1805
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

(HM)

O! I understand now, yup and I agree entirely.

They will also want to address other gases
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #1806
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The best thing about LEDs is you can have more of them to light small areas where you want some light instead of having to carpet bomb the whole area to get light where you need it.
So that is your feelings. Where is the research that says less light? It does not exist. And that was a point in that IEEE Spectrum article. Despite your reasoning, the amount of light generated and the amount of power used for lighting just keeps increasing.

Clark Griswold demonstrates a trend confirmed by research. Only speculation (contradicted by many decades) assumes this trend will reverse.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #1807
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Clark Griswold? The guy from the Nat'l Lampoon Vacation movies?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:11 AM   #1808
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Guessing. They know how much power I'm using, not a clue what I'm using it for, I could be reanimating corpses for all they know.
The population has been increasing, more households more power but not necessarily on lighting, probably farming bitcoins.
Trump will stop those terrorists from coming over the Rio Grand and using wasteful incandescent bulbs.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #1809
Griff
still says videotape

Ok what in the living fuck are you people doing with your weather in the middle of the country?
Old 03-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #1810
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Rite now it's 46 and raining. The snow and ice are melting, and you can hear the ice on the river making noise.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #1811
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's your basic bomb cyclone, an inland hurricane
Old 03-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #1812
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If I had a windmill, I'd be rich, rich I tells ya.

If it didn't blow away.

It's a might airish.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:10 PM   #1813
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Ok what in the living fuck are you people doing with your weather in the middle of the country?
Trying to figure where to stow all that extra water.

It'd take one hell of a pipe to get it all to the Colorado River. From there, dry SoCal can stick its straw in.

A vast -- even a half-vast -- civil engineering project would be capturing floodwaters to recharge the immense Ogallala Aquifer at many points.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #1814
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Sunny and mild today. Yesterday, I got busy and planted my early veg garden - two types of lettuce, spinach, two types of everbearing strawberries, Chinese peas, potatoes, green onions, broccoli, garlic, and dill. I'm anxious for the local garden centers to begin stocking veg starts for later in the season - cukes, zucchini, tomatoes, beans, peppers, and so much more.

My blueberry bushes are starting to put out buds, as are the peach, plum, and apple trees.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #1815
Urbane Guerrilla

Are you really sure you want to include zucchini in your plan for world domination? Edible Triffids, those things. You could feed, like, three or four Chinese Red Army platoons (several hordes per, you know) on your zucchini harvest.

There are stories in some regions about people who *never* lock their doors and their cars except in zucchini season. That's to keep people from leaving shopping bags full of zukes in their cars' passenger side seats.