The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #61
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

See, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Especially after delving in to the foot locker.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #62
glatt

How did you take that picture, anyway? The self timer on my camera is either 2 seconds or 10 seconds. If you set yours for 10 seconds, you would need to run into the shot, and then there would be a trail behind you in the water of ripples and bubbles, and disturbed plants. It looks like you took a minute or two to get to where you are in the water, everything is so still.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #63
infinite monkey

Oh fine. I confess. I was there.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #64
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
How did you take that picture, anyway? The self timer on my camera is either 2 seconds or 10 seconds. If you set yours for 10 seconds, you would need to run into the shot, and then there would be a trail behind you in the water of ripples and bubbles, and disturbed plants. It looks like you took a minute or two to get to where you are in the water, everything is so still.
I think he said he had it on automatic, taking a pic every 30 seconds
Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #65
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Spex and Infi have it. Auto camera, I'm cool with mud, and yeah, , you know. In that photo, I had already been in and under, parting the lily roots with my hands as I went; by this time I was coming back, and turned to face the sun.

Other areas of the dam were much clearer. I think they even did the sand-dump trick at the main swimming point.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #66
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
do you have a canon point and shoot? maybe not... I think I remember you are a panasonic man. chdk is the friend of canon p/s owners everywhere. intervalometer plus beaucoup more
Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #67
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I somehow lost my CHDK card and I'm too cheap/stubborn to go out and buy a new one, but I really miss the features. Maybe I'll go out and get another one.

But it drives me bats that I can't find the other one. Probably got vacuumed up.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #68
infinite monkey

Preventive medicine: stop vacuuming.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #69
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
You can clearly see the pale grey disc of the moon with the fleecy corona streaming out. There was a planet - looked like Venus - above and to the right. The light is strange, soft and silvery.

Words just don't cut it. See one for yourselves.
No, your words completely cut it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
I sat meditating for a while, then, under the waxing gibbous sun, did the obvious thing.
A ship an isle a sickle moon
With few but with how splendid stars
The mirrors of the sea are strewn
Bewteen her silver bars.

An isle within an isle she lay
The tall ship anchored in the bay

Don't know the rest.
It just reminded me of your post. I always loved that poem for the words.
Am deliberately not Googling it because I don't even know who it's by (John Masefield?) and don't want to cheat.

Gibbous.
Not a word we hear often enough these days.

I remember a line from Kes - the moon was full, save for a blur on the waxing curve (again this may not be 100% accurate.)
I did not understand it at all and went to my English teacher who first taught me the phases of the moon, then about waxing and waning.
I may have forgotten much of it, but the experience of a whole new language stayed with me.

Now. Where's my photo of eggs?!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #70
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

The moon is a lock of witch's hair-
golden and tawny and red
and the night wind stops to stare
to see a lock of a witches head.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #71
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Well, the next day was all about recovery, naps, journal writing, and swimming.

The day after, I felt it was time to move on. I was a little sad to be leaving, possibly related to the come-down from all that shit I did.
I packed up, gave a hitch-hiker a lift to the next main town, but didn't want to plunge back into the hectic mayhem of a big city, like Cairns with its 200,000 people.

I wanted to go camping in a national park, of which I know there are many in the area, but all the information I got was that the old turn-up-and-self-register system has been replaced by some stupid shit involving an account, pre-booking, internet, phone calls and credit cards.

So, I found my way to a private nature park where I paid cash and spent a few days. The mountains here are granite, and there was a stream to swim in, although with better pools than this one.

Name:  Granite pool.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  84.1 KB

There are plenty of wallabies here, carefully trained to manipulate tourists into buying bags of wallaby food. I didn't, sod 'em, little buggers should get jobs.

Name:  feeding.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  98.7 KB

After two nights here, I went to Cairns, stopping on the way at this touristy waterfall (this is the end of the dry season, give it three months and this would be roaring).

Name:  falls.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  62.6 KB

I also stopped at Kuranda, a village that has become the hippy location of the north. The markets there sell everything with rainbows, every kind of hemp product (except, you know, the real one), crystals, clothing, etc. Even "diet soap" - "the more you wash with it, the thinner it gets!" They have a mini-golf course in the rainforest.

I bought lunch here, the hippy interpretation of eggs on toast, here named a "breakfast crepe". Ok, Sundae, this is for you:

Name:  food.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  59.6 KB

With the home-made lemonade it came to $20, a bit pricey, but !! There's fried mushrooms in there as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #72
glatt

that's beautiful country!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #73
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, some of the nicest pictures I've seen.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #74
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
At least the hippies put ham on that crepe. That is ham I hope.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #75
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

If by ham you mean bacon, then yes. Thick chunks of organic free range . Mmmmm-mmMMMmm!