The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nov 6, 2010: Cut Paper Letters

Annie Vought takes hand written letters/notes/lists, blows them up to giant size and prints them. Then she cuts out all the paper without print on it.

Quote:
Email, text messages, instant messaging and Twitter are all examples of fun and immediate means of “written” communication. Through the computer I am in touch with people I may never have seen before and I can respond in real time to a loved one. But with the ubiquity of this access and convenience, we are losing the tangible handwritten letter. Handwritten records are fragments of individual histories. In the penmanship, word choice, and spelling the author is often revealed in spite of him/herself. A letter is physical confirmation of who we were at the moment it was written, or all we have left of a person or a time.
I have been working with cut out correspondence for the past four years. I meticulously recreate notes and letters that I have found, written, or received by enlarging the documents onto a new piece of paper and intricately dissecting the negative spaces with an Exact-o knife. The handwriting and the lines support the structure of the cut paper, keeping it strong and sculptural, despite its apparent fragility. In these paper cutouts, I focus on the text, structure, and emotion of the letter in an elaborate investigation into the properties of writing and expression. Penmanship, word choice, and spelling all contribute to possible narratives about who that person is and what they are like. My recreating the letters is an extended concentration on peoples’ inner lives and the ways they express their thoughts through writing.
I think I'd be cutting my wrists before I got one finished.

Link
via
Old 11-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I wonder if you couldn't just program a computer to do that.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sure, just use a 3-D printer.

mumble soulless grumble damn sputter nerds spittle...
Old 11-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

spittle

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
SPUCK
Professor

Wow. Blow up the writing and then over days, using an exacto knife, render it illegible. Amazing.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I can read it, you better check wth spexx.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Adak
Lecturer

Clearly, Annie has no friends bold enough to remove the knife from her grip, and take her out for some *fun*.

Begeezus, get a life, Annie!

This is the kind of modern art that you just have to turn your back on, and walk away from, in order to appreciate it clearly.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Art is highly subjective, but everyone should be able to appreciate the difficulty and dedication of craft.
I guess cheap plastic crap from wallymart is the only thing people can identify with anymore. Sad.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Overheard in a wallymart-like store years ago and stuck with me:

"That picture can't be very good. It only costs $10"
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
Adak
Lecturer

If she was cutting out letters from beautifully formed letters, like the monks made in the middle ages (calligraphy), then it would look good.

This looks like mundane penmanship, at best. At worst, it's a scribbled mess that you can't even read. It looks no better after Annie cuts it all out.

Art should kick-start a spark in your inner-most being. No sparks, here.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you go to the link in the op, you'll see she does all kinds of different writing. These aren't something she makes up, these are actual documents, letters, notes, doodles, lists, that mean something to someone. Some get blown up 4 to 6 feet high, before she starts cutting them. Some aren't continuous, like doodles or snippets, and the segments have to be supported on pins.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
Adak
Lecturer

Went there, viewed them all.

Nary a spark of anything beautiful, to be found. She could be cutting out pictures of dog kibble, imo.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Savage. They're not suppose to be pretty, they're significant in content and context to the owner. Annie's contribution is the craft.

You can go here.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I can appreciate someone's dedication to craft, and the difficulty required to create such things as in the picture above without liking the end result, or recognizing it as art as I see it. And it is possible to have this type of opinion without being all Wal-Mart and shit.

And besides, it's Wal-Mart, not Walm-Art. Who would go to Wal-Mart to look for art anyway?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
Adak
Lecturer

She's got craft - but it's wasted on the mundane scribbles of writings she has chosen as subjects.

Not only is calligraphy beautiful - thus making her end product much better looking, but the paper it's written on, is high quality.

She works too hard to only have her art appreciated by the few who wrote out the scribbled originals she chose to cut out.

If pearls before swine is stupid, surely scribbles before an artist, is a caution, at least.

I see her end product as just a tad creepy:

"Yes, Monday through Friday she labored for years, to cut these delicate shapes out of paper."

"Had to lock her up, when it drove her mad. She took to cutting out artwork on the sidewalls of tires, poor thing."