The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Aug 3, 2009: Freedom the Eagle

Freedom is a rescued bald eagle and Jeff Guidry is his handler at the Sarvey Wildlife Center in Arlington, Washington.

The picture is amazing but the story is even more so.

Quote:
It was mid-summer when a call came in reporting a fledgling Bald Eagle had fallen out of a nest on a Seattle golf course. Our very own Crazy Bob went to the rescue and transported her to the Center. She arrived with two broken wings. When asked to take her to the vet, I jump at the chance.

When I load this hurt and terrified baby into the car, she neither whimpers nor fights; she can't even stand. This is not a good sign; she is obviously in very bad shape. As I drive to Sno-Wood Veterinary Hospital, I constantly look back to check on my very special passenger. She stares at me with big beautiful brown eyes, her mouth slightly agape. I drive a little faster—this Bald Eagle must live!

She is operated on and has both wings pinned; they are now immobile. Back at Sarvey we lay her in the bottom half of a huge carrier filled with shredded newspaper for support.

The fight for her life begins.
The story details the struggle to get Freedom healthy enough to stand up, or they will have to euthanize her. Obviously she lived, but would never fly, so since she couldn't go back to the wild maybe they could use her for educational programs.

Quote:
I started getting her used to the glove, a little at a time. At first she was thinking, "OK, I'll step on your hand but only with one foot." Then, "OK, I'll use both feet but only for a second." Later, "Yeah you can take me part way out of my cage, then I'll jump right back in." And finally, "OK, I'll let you walk around with me on your arm. Hey, this is fun!"
Jeff worked hard so save this Eagle, so turnabout is fair play.

Quote:
When Jeff was later diagnosed with a serious illness requiring chemotherapy, he found himself turning to Freedom for support. Two or three times a week, whenever he felt well enough, he would drive from Bothell to Arlington to walk with Freedom around the grounds. Now it was Freedom's turn to give Jeff a reason to fight for his life.
Jeff made it too...
...and they all lived happily ever after.

link
Old 08-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Stuffing and cranberry sauce?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

So when Freedom was hurt, God gave him Jeff. When Jeff got sick, God gave him the bird.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I can't think of a better way to start my week than reading this story. Life has its beautiful moments.

Damn... I love the Cellar. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Tick
Do-er of Deeds

Tastes like California Condor, but less corpsy.
Nothing to see here folks. Carrion.
Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Thank you tick, that was touching. Sniff.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Cloud

The pic is just . . . awwww!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick View Post
Tastes like California Condor, but less corpsy.
Nothing to see here folks. Carrion.
But they seem so enRAPTORed with eachother.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Franklin’s Letter to His Daughter (excerpt)
“For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.
“With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country . . .
“I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America . . . He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.”
So turkeys are better than eagles...and tastier too.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #10
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
So when Freedom was hurt, God gave him Jeff. When Jeff got sick, God gave him the bird.

buahahahahahaha, you are soooo going to hell....but I will at least see you there.

Oh, and you need to clean my screen.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
treehugger
Antagonistic Antagonist

I live in Arlington and I've seen Freedom at Sarvey. I even got to hold her.
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #12
SPUCK
Professor

Sweet.
I saw an owl once at a show. They asked everyone to be very quiet as at a previous show there was a loud noise and an owl spontaneously dropped dead on the spot.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Make sure to parboil these animals prior to grilling to enhance texture and intensify flavor.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
treehugger
Antagonistic Antagonist

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post
Make sure to parboil these animals prior to grilling to enhance texture and intensify flavor.
that is soooooooooooo gross
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Thank you.