The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Let's be nice to them.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Whenever I hear about a tent city, I think of that Ted Nugent live album, "Intensities in Tent Cities".
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #18
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Having been homeless, and being "not skinny", let me assure you: You can be fat and hungry. I wouldn't recommend it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #19
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Having been homeless, and being "not skinny", let me assure you: You can be fat and hungry. I wouldn't recommend it.
/*channeling douches*/ you must be a lazy slob then. Don't expect US to help you out /*end channeling douches*/
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 03-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I could be described as a lazy slob. But I ain't. I got myself up. No help from anyone, but my best friend, he let me stay with him while saving money for my own place again. No gov't help, skin's the wrong color, I have a dick, and not enough kids.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From ABC news;
Quote:
Garren Bratchin from the Loaves and Fishes charity says the organisation has seen a 20 per cent jump in the number of homeless people using its services.

"It's been entire families, not just the guy that decides to leave his wife and get drunk - whole families; three or four, five people at a time," he said.

New figures show in February another 650,000 Americans lost their jobs, fuelling fears tented communities like this one will become more common.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #22
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

from the International Herald Tribune

"American International Group, the insurer that has received more than $170 billion in taxpayer bailout money from the U.S. Treasury and Federal Reserve, plans to pay about $165 million in bonuses to executives in the same business unit that brought the company to the brink of collapse last year"

It's nice to know that we have our priorities straight, eh? Let your brothers and sisters starve in a tent, we've got billionaire kings to keep in shrimp and titties.

—James Barrie

Old 03-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mmmmm... shrimp and titties.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #24
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

There was an article in my local newspaper a few days ago about how motels are the new homeless shelters. The number of school children in my town who are living in motels jumped from 30 last year to well over 300 this year. It is so easy to get there....lose a job, get house foreclosed on...where do you go? Apartments require a job, security deposit, and decent credit. All these people losing their jobs (unemployment rate) and houses (foreclosure rate) have to find new places to live.

Having been there, in a motel room, with my 2 children, I know it's not easy. We were there for 3 months. An eternity. Mine was due to a domestic violence and divorce, but not having a 'real' place to live was rough. If I hadn't had a decent job (two of them, actually) and able to afford the motel cost, I'd have been living somewhere in a tent too.

I don't believe that all homeless people are just lazy and happily living off the system. I know too many that would give anything to not be in that situation.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #25
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Prosecute the lot of them, on charges of loitering within tent.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think you're right, Stormieweather, these aren't the normal homeless and bums. This is a new class of people, newly set adrift by the world events, with nowhere to go. These tent cities are patrolled by the police, and populated by people in the same boat, giving them a smidgen more security than under a bridge somewhere.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #27
monster
I hear them call the tide

I think the "homeless" title is misleading. These people are making new -albeit temporary- homes to help them handle the rough times in which they can no longer afford their former homes. they are neither homeless nor helpless. it's just that they might be experiencing a glitch in their american dream. They should be applauded for making the best of a really nasty situation, for having the foresight to move into a tent and give themselves a base from which to start out again, rather than selling their tents and last remaining possessions to buy food and then relying on charity to house them.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #28
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

They should all start pitching their tents in Texas....

say on Bush's front yard? That or they could occupy a few of the offices/conference rooms over at PIG, Shitibank et all..
Old 03-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But they are also jobless which makes recovery difficult.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #30
jinx
Come on, cat.

Might be a good place for Radar's dog stand.