The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #46
jujuwwhite
Capnhowdy's #1 smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
you need to be able to be comfortable being with just yourself before trying to date. That way, you won't need to be with the other person 24/7.
I agree 100%. Before I met Capnhowdy, I was single for almost 5 years and I learned to 'date' myself. (already folks, not just the dirty kind of self dating. HAHA) But I would make a time for myself, get dressed up and go out to eat at my favorite resturant or movie. I even got brave enough to go to some musical events by myself and found I actually enjoyed myself. Being alone at some of the events gave me the opportunity to meet new people without worrying about neglecting a date.

In fact, it was at one of my 'self dates' when I met Capnhowdy by chance and the rest is history!!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #47
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Hey TG. I've been there. I'm still recovering from my ex running away with another man while I was in the hospital. It's hard, but everyday it gets a little easier.

I highly recommend you not try to contact her & avoid any place you might run into her at.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #48
jujuwwhite
Capnhowdy's #1 smasher

AMEN Big Sarge!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:01 AM   #49
disenchanted
Resident President

TG, it's not too far back from me recanting my own trainwreck in this same corner of the cellar. However things are going for you, here's my words of advice: Take some time and figure out who you are today; if there isn't the "us" anymore in your life, get to know the "me" again (cut the snickering, I'm being sincere.) Find something to do with your time, capitalize on all of that emotional wreckage. My distraction was buying a bicycle and riding the crap out of it. (bonus, distracted myself quite a bit, and got into way better shape than I was, which did a lot for my confidence, which turned out to be good armor about trying to be rational about things rather than sitting around blaming myself for everything (yeah, could've done things differently, but at least it wasn't thoughts of "I deserved to be treated even worse than I was" 24/7)) It turns out if you go see a movie on your own, nobody around you cares, they're watching the movie. You go on a trip alone, nobody notices, they don't know you anyhow. Go to a restaurant alone, no big deal. If they make a comment while seating you, walk away if it bugs you. (preferably before ordering/being served.)

All I'm saying is find yourself again. Or meet yourself as you are today.
disenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #50
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Thumbs up

Great advice here, TG, from dis.