The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #31
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

The Mars Rovers.

Yeah, I know they're machines. But they're resilient, hardworking, brave little machines out exploring a dangerous new world, soldiering on way past their designed lifespan, until they slowly build up malfunctions and breakdowns until, one cold winter, they finally fail forever.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #32
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sort of like Huey and Dewey in the movie, Silent Running.
...at least as emotional as for us old folk.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #33
Rrrraven
Coronation Incarnate

Reading Robert Munsch's I'll Love You Forever out loud to my girls. Even though they're all grown up (sorta) now.
Rrrraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #34
monster
I hear them call the tide

Driving tonight in lots of rain. Stupidly scared after my accident.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #35
Griff
still says videotape

It takes a little time but you'll get there. I spent way to much time watching tailgaters after getting rear-ended but now I'm back to spiking the brakes for fun.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #36
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Danny Butterman: Hey, why can't we say "accident," again?
Nicholas Angel: Because "accident" implies there's nobody to blame.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #37
monster
I hear them call the tide

Ok, I'm all better already. Kinda. beest did pick up and reported it was unbelieveably slippy for no apparent reason. i wasn't imagining shit...... (It's been raining all day, but it's 9C.... shouldn't be slippy, and there are strong cross winds reported, but it's dark, so you can't see that)
Old 12-15-2011, 03:37 AM   #38
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Watching little kiddiwinks perform their Christmas shows. They're not mine but Best Beloved teaches some of them music so we have to be at the shows. And the teeny-weeny ones are so cute
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #39
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
It gets better, but it does stay with you. I still expect some 19 year old lying loser punkass to be lurking around the corner, text partially composed on cell phone, waiting for the light to be red so he can run it and smash my brand new car to smithereens. Well, now he'd be smashing into my not brand new car. A split second sooner for me or later for him, he would have straight hit ME.

I haven't left the bitter barn yet, I'm going to play in the hay awhile.

Anyway, as to driving, I have a really bad sense of direction. I'm not talking about mild confusion, I'm talking about hardly any sense of it at all. Invariably, if I am going anywhere different, I'll get lost.

I got lost coming to work one day, when they'd closed my normal road. I could see work, the campus only covers about 4 city blocks for pete's sake, but I couldn't get where I needed to be. I called my boss and said I'd be at work when I found the college. One way streets make it ten times worse. I get so turned around I don't even know if I'm in town anymore. After about 20 minutes, the tears start welling. Because it's so damn frustrating. I'll pull over, try to check directions, they don't help or I follow for a while then get lost again. I got lost going to conference on Monday, in C-bus. Same thing: one way streets and crappy directions. I found the turn in for valet parking just before the tears started. Crisis averted.

Being lost and frustrated and crying does not a good driver make.

Yeah, I need a GPS, but it needs to be very calming and supportive: Oh, you took a wrong turn. That's OK. Don't worry. We'll get you there. BREATHE. This doesn't make you a bad person. No, it doesn't. OK...at the next intersection you need to go north. Um, I mean LEFT. You need to go LEFT. Left is the side you don't write with. Very good...you're doing fine. Umm, but, how are you doing on your anti-anxiety med supply?

Last edited by infinite monkey; 12-15-2011 at 07:43 AM.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #40
glatt

GPS units can sometimes cause more problems than they solve. If you are trying to get to a location that's on an access road, or that has an entrance that's a block away from the actual street address, but you can't get to that entrance because you already passed it and the road is divided and there are ramps that will whisk you away to a completely different neighborhood if you try to turn around, it just gets all screwed up. Add to that ever increasing traffic so that there is always somebody in your way, and it's really frustrating some times.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #41
infinite monkey

The people following are the worst. They know where they're going, and are doing it at a hundred miles an hour. So I panic and of the two ways to go, I choose the wrong one. Every time.

Maybe a Scarecrow would be more helpful!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #42
Lamplighter

Getting home is much more important than getting to somewhere else.
Put a BIG bag of bread crumbs in your trunk.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #43
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Made the mistake of watching a video of pilau and I playing. Watching him bounce on and off the sofa and all eager to catch the toy just about broke my heart.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #44
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Getting home is much more important than getting to somewhere else.
Put a BIG bag of bread crumbs in your trunk.
Yeah, but nobody pays me for going home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Made the mistake of watching a video of pilau and I playing. Watching him bounce on and off the sofa and all eager to catch the toy just about broke my heart.

I had to change my background on my comp at home. Gaines was on it. I know I still have the picture and felt a little bad about changing it but I miss him so much it was rough looking at it so much. I might change it back though.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #45
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Yeah, I need a GPS, but it needs to be very calming and supportive: Oh, you took a wrong turn. That's OK. Don't worry. We'll get you there. BREATHE. This doesn't make you a bad person. No, it doesn't. OK...at the next intersection you need to go north. Um, I mean LEFT. You need to go LEFT. Left is the side you don't write with. Very good...you're doing fine. Umm, but, how are you doing on your anti-anxiety med supply?
This is not the GPS you are looking for:

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote