The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #61
rkzenrage

Quote:
I just don't buy the arguments that the non smackers come up with. Particularly those that come from places where the death penalty is still a form or punishment deemed suitable by the majority of people.
I agree that that is immoral and one looks like a fool telling a kid not to be violent while telling them it is ok to murder someone strapped to a chair or table.
This easily can be a problem with authority in the US with some kids, not a core one, but must add to the issue on some subconscious level; any hypocrisy does.
Fortunately for me, I will tell my son that being for the death penalty and "moral" is just that IMO, explain why I feel that way, so there will be no issue in our home.

Pierce, I think you are grossly underestimating kid's ability to think for themselves. As a teacher for years, there are ages where they will behave erratically because of what their peers are doing (5th - 8th grades estimated), but if their core teachings and personality does not jive with that they will not be part of the central group and will grow out of it. I was part of that and also saw it over-&-over-&-over again. Many times encouraging kids to stop being tag-alongs.
Kids are just small people, they make decisions for the same reasons we do.
IMO, adults are more influenced by group-think than kids ever were.

Just because people who were spanked are not outwardly, physically, aggressive does not mean they are not aggressive and harmful in other ways, at least for a time while they learn to deal with the resentment of being hit by their loved ones.
Passive aggressive behavior is more damaging and as "violent", even more so & far more long lasting, than any beating can be.
The studies I posted clearly stated that there are lasting effects.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-24-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #62
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Passive aggressive behavior is more damaging and as "violent", even more so & far more long lasting, than any beating can be.
Wait, so the most horrible thing you can do to your kids is spank them, except for not spanking and being passive aggressive instead, because that's even worse?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #63
rkzenrage

Who said the "most horrible"? Was not me.
Keep in mind, I have stated clearly and unequivocally that telling kids that if they sin they are going to hell to suffer for all eternity is child abuse.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #64
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Pierce, I think you are grossly underestimating kid's ability to think for themselves. As a teacher for years, there are ages where they will behave erratically because of what their peers are doing (5th - 8th grades estimated), but if their core teachings and personality does not jive with that they will not be part of the central group and will grow out of it. I was part of that and also saw it over-&-over-&-over again. Many times encouraging kids to stop being tag-alongs.
I know what you are getting at and you are right, but I just don't think it happens that often. There are adults that should be respected when they aren't and I think that is due to the lack of contact between generations. Besides parents and teachers, it is rare, at least from what I've seen, for an adult and kid to have a good relationship with each other and for that adult to teach that kid how the world really does work.

It obviously isn't impossible nowadays for an adult and a kid to have that teacher-pupil-friend relationship but I very rarely see it.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #65
monster
I hear them call the tide

Kids respect purple hair. I've found.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #66
Cloud

the punishments I most resented were not spankings. Those were over and done with, but other, more creative punishments . . . those lingered and festered.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:13 PM   #67
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
There seems to be a contradiction here. What are the 'peers' and the 'central group' doing?
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #68
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
I'm not so sure I agree with that part rk - Kids don't have the intelligence, wisdom nor experience that adults have when it comes to decisionmaking - not that spanking will help, but I do not think children can think of all the ramifications or consequences associated with their actions.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #69
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
I'm not so sure I agree with that part rk - Kids don't have the intelligence, wisdom nor experience that adults have when it comes to decisionmaking - not that spanking will help, but I do not think children can think of all the ramifications or consequences associated with their actions.
What age are you talking about?

When a kid is under 10 then the decisions are usually much different but I think rkzenrage was talking about middle and high schoolers, which, scientifically supported, have the same thought process of adults. It is just that adults have much more experienced and know when to hold back and when not too.

The theory of cognitive development states that once a child reaches the age of 11-15, they will reach the highest possible cognitive stage, formal operation stage, and will remain in that stage throughout adulthood.

Once a person reaches the formal operation stage they technically have reached their full potential in reasoning, and then they will just gain experience and become wiser with choices. There are other variables like moral development and that but this is more or less the base for social and non-social reasoning in humans.

Theory of Cognitive Development:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_development
http://evolution.massey.ac.nz/assign2/MH/webpage.htm
Old 07-26-2007, 12:30 AM   #70
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

The theory of cognitive developement also clearly states that before you reach each stage of developement you must go through certain trials. That is, there are challenges with each stage and if you don't actually have those challenges, then your cognitive development can be retarded somewhat.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:35 AM   #71
Griff
still says videotape

and it is just a theory...
Old 07-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #72
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

That's true. There are so many theories out there to explain why we are the way we are. Mostly it's just navel gazing (as I think I've mentioned in this thread already...or maybe it was another one) in my opinion.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #73
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
and it is just a theory...
Theories in science and psychology are usually pretty accurate since they need scientific backing not to get laughed at.

It makes sense since Jewish kids are considered men at 13 and other situations like that.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:30 AM   #74
Griff
still says videotape

Developmental theories are numerous. They are useful but not all encompassing.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #75
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
What age are you talking about?
I wasn't sure what aged children rk was talking about. Since the term kid can refer to a broad range, I was stating my opinion mostly on younger children 2 - 10-ish.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote