The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-03-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
Hagar
Master of the Domain

The Crocodile hunter is dead?

I've just heard reports that Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter has died after being stung by a stingray in North Queensland, Australia.

Wow

Regardless of what you thought of him, his genuine dedication to wildlife conservation will be sorely missed.

Edit: it's true: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

Last edited by Hagar; 09-03-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
Ibby
erika

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14663786/

Ow. He was lame yet awesome. 's a pity.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:53 AM   #3
Hagar
Master of the Domain

Wow. I've just been listening to local radio in the car, and Steve's death is being compared to that of Princess Diana. His "Australia Zoo" ia about 90mins drive from Brisbane, in the Sunshine Coast hinterland.

I understand the comparision. I feel genuinely shocked and saddened, even though I wasn't particularly an Irwin fan, and he was pretty much bound to go in a way that would make the news.

Our local ABC radio had a trauma councillor on to talk about how to tell your kids the sad news. Irwin himself was very popular with children, and had a strong involvement with childrens' group "The Wiggles", together they had an enourmously popular kids' DVD.

There's a real outpouring of sadness and dismay amoungst talkback callers on the commercial networks as well. He did a lot for the local community, and was very popular in the Sunshine Coast region.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:53 AM   #4
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Krikey, it was bound to happen!
Old 09-04-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
Ibby
erika

Yeah, everyone knew he wouldn't die in a car crash or fire or some mundane thing like that... everyone knew he would die at the hands/paws/jaws/tail of some animal.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I wonder if they got it on tape? I always figured he'd get mauled by a large cat or a bear or bitten by a poisonous snake.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:52 AM   #7
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Sad too that his wife is the last to know - the whole WORLD knew about it before she even found out just a few hours ago.. she and kid were hiking in the tasmanian mountains.

he did amazing things for the wildlife in this country and around the world. An offbeat guy - but i think the world has lost a very precious energy today.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

It is sad whenever kids loose their Dad. The interesting part to me is how television made this guy famous enough that folks in Australia, Taiwan, and the US are touched by his death. That means by avoiding the medium, I am losing a common connection worldwide rather than just countrywide. Did he impact environmentalism outside Austrailia or was that more national?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

From what I am reading here, it was a freak accident. Most peoples experiences with stingrays involve being stung in the foot or leg. I guess while diving, the odds of a hit to the chest are increased.

Also, like bee stings, different people can have different reactions.

It's a shame. The guy was a bit of a showman, but anything that kept the public's attention on nature and conservation was a good thing.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Goodbye, Steve. You were taken too soon.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:08 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

At least stingrays are relatively cool animals. This would have been a much different conversation had he been mauled by a koala.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #12
grazzers
Aim for the Best

Very sad, seemed like truly good - if a little nuts - guy. Bye Steve.

Anonymous Poet
grazzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
rkzenrage

Quote:
SYDNEY (AFP) - World-renowned "crocodile hunter" and television environmentalist Steve Irwin has died following a stingray attack in northeastern Australia, local government sources said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Irwin, 44, known for his enthusiastic approach to even the deadliest of wildlife, was killed when a stingray barb punctured his chest during the filming and underwater documentary, the sources quoted by the Australian Associated Press said.

The larger-than-life Irwin, dubbed "The Crocodile Hunter" after the nature documentary series he hosted, was filming off the coast of Port Douglas in the state of Queensland when the accident took place.

I feel terrible for his family and loved ones, but he did this himself and has been taunting this for a long time.
As someone who has worked with dangerous & exotic animals, both large and small, for most of my life, he is reckless, irresponsible and boring (it was for television).
The reason for his "campaign" was to educate, but all he showed was animals going "oh shit, I'm being fucked with!" instead of just leaving them alone when he had great shots of them in their natural habitats.
I understand having to pull a python out of it's lair, but when you have a chameleon on a stick stalking a bug, leave it, let us watch it hunt... grabbing it and putting it on your hat it NOT educational. Endangering yourself with deadly snakes is NOT educational, showing us what they do in their natural habitat is, unless you are relocating them like Brady Barr...
Again, this is a tragedy for his family and friends and I do send loving and healing energy to them all.
I am very sorry for the painful death he suffered, but this was a long time coming and I hope that it helps to elevate the level of naturalist television.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #14
Flint
Snowflake

Crikey !!! Stabbed in the heart !!!
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
I wonder if they got it on tape? I always figured he'd get mauled by a large cat or a bear or bitten by a poisonous snake.
A couple of the news accounts I've read state that it was filmed.