The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-18-2004, 02:14 PM   #31
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

so what you're saying is that even though you've been told you're being a dick about it, it's more important that UT gets all of his facts straight for the goddamn image of the day? So, if he slips, that excuses your acting like a know-it-all-douchebag?

just clarifying.

putz
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 02:25 PM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It turns out that APOD and I were right in the first place.

It turns out that what is considered the Sun is a greater area than just what LOOKS like the Sun. The prominence is defined as extending just past the chronosphere. The chronosphere is defined as 10000km out between the photosphere and the corona. The corona is the extension of plasma and radiation well above the sun's actual "sea level".
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 03:15 PM   #33
tjennings
Belt Conveyor

Off topic (kind of):

Is there a way to ignore the posts of an individual user?

No reason for asking. Wait a minute, maybe nobody will see this because you are all already ignoring me (or maybe I'm just being PARANOID).
Old 04-18-2004, 04:24 PM   #34
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by paranoid

You are welcome. And thank you for linking to this great image in the first place.
Uh...one of your quotations was mistakenly attributed to me , instead of UT, you incredible twit. Good lord, don't you have any html skills at all? I really think that, if you are going to be quoting people, you need to be absolutely certain that you know what you are doing, or people might think you are an idiot. I mean, they might think you are more of an idiot.

Sorry...I just had to respond appropriately, considering the gravity of the mistake.

Last edited by Elspode; 04-18-2004 at 04:29 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:04 PM   #35
onetrack
Coronation Incarnate

I just gotta say .. you'd better thank your appropriate God, that we have people like Paranoid to do the exacting, niggly, nit-picking calculations .. so that NASA can get launches off the ground .. so that they can get the likes of the Hubble Telescope up there .. so that they can get great pics of the Sun .. so that we can sit around arguing the toss about distances and dimensions ..

If they let journos do the launch calculations, we'd be lucky to get 1 in 1000 launches off the ground .. and only then with accidental accuracy ..
Old 04-18-2004, 08:06 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I guess, pretty much everything. To start with, your math skills seem to be the worst here. You appear to have some problems with division in particular.
Damn! How silly of me. I divided 300k instead of 50k by 12.8k to get 23 Earths. It should be about 4 Earths not 23, or 50 to 100. Looks like we both need to go back to school. I have to brush up on my math and you have to learn not to post criticisisms based on wild speculations about parallax views.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:16 PM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by onetrack
I just gotta say .. you'd better thank your appropriate God, that we have people like Paranoid to do the exacting, niggly, nit-picking calculations .. so that NASA can get launches off the ground .. so that they can get the likes of the Hubble Telescope up there .. so that they can get great pics of the Sun .. so that we can sit around arguing the toss about distances and dimensions ..

If they let journos do the launch calculations, we'd be lucky to get 1 in 1000 launches off the ground .. and only then with accidental accuracy ..
From paranoids explanation of his numbers, he must have done the original calculations for the hubble mirror. Hardly exacting, niggly, nit-picking calculations but the point is, this is hardly the place for the displayed vitriol over casual comments.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:28 PM   #38
onetrack
Coronation Incarnate

We all need some vitriol occasionally .. savage, unwarranted vitriol, rouses us from the torpor of our everyday humdrum existence ..
Old 04-18-2004, 10:15 PM   #39
Elspode

If people like Paranoid are doing all the math for our space program, I demand that all science be halted immediately until we can find some more polite nerds to deal with the hard stuff.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:18 AM   #40
jdbutler
If ya cant take a joke, Effya!

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
If people like Paranoid are doing all the math for our space program, I demand that all science be halted immediately until we can find some more polite nerds to deal with the hard stuff.
Does anyone have Arthur C. Clarke's e-mail? Maybe we should send future solar and flatulence speculations to him first for professional scientific and editorial scrutiny prior to posting.

(Unrelated) Does a pair of noids beat a fools mouth?

“Stephen Hacking”: (def) What you hear when a famous quantum physicist clears his throat.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:26 AM   #41
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Paranoid posted a rebuff to my message which was lost in the corruption problem... I read it this morning before finding the corruption... para, please redo?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 01:23 PM   #42
paranoid
May Ter Dee

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Paranoid posted a rebuff to my message which was lost in the corruption problem... I read it this morning before finding the corruption... para, please redo?
Luckily, I still had it in the cache.
Quote:
It turns out that APOD and I were right in the first place.
It turns out you weren't.
Quote:
It turns out that what is considered the Sun is a greater area than just what LOOKS like the Sun. The prominence is defined as extending just past the chronosphere. The chronosphere is defined as 10000km out between the photosphere and the corona. The corona is the extension of plasma and radiation well above the sun's actual "sea level".
That what is considered the Sun is a greater volume (not area!) than just what LOOKS like the Sun is correct. Though what is considered the diameter of the Sun (1392000 km) is precisely the diameter of the visible disc (if you dare look at the Sun ). The thickness of photosphere (300 km) and chromosphere (14000 km; not chronosphere - it has nothing to do with time, it's called chromosphere because of the red colour hot hydrogen radiates!) is pretty much irrelevant on that scale.

Please tell, what source defines the prominence as "extending just past the chronosphere (sic!)", because it seems you just invented this definition. And how could the prominence be 300000 km long in that case?
Quote:
Originally posted by tjennings
Is there a way to ignore the posts of an individual user?
If you'd rather stay an ignorant sheep, just click on the Profile and then "Add paranoid to Your Ignore List".
Quote:
Uh...one of your quotations was mistakenly attributed to me , instead of UT, you incredible twit. Good lord, don't you have any html skills at all? I really think that, if you are going to be quoting people, you need to be absolutely certain that you know what you are doing, or people might think you are an idiot. I mean, they might think you are more of an idiot.
I don't see how forgetting to replace the name in the copied line has anything to do with HTML skills at all. I hope you are joking, though. And I also hope you see the difference between spreading the misconception and making an obvious error in editing the post.

In any case, it appears that the factoid about Earths is a NASA equivalent of the Big Mac - plentiful, but devoid of any real content. Every story about prominences (different ones) that I found contained the same stupid and misleading stock trivia about Earth. Behold:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap970127.html
The Earth would easily fit under one of the loops of the prominence shown in the above picture.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040330.html
The Earth would easily fit under the hovering curtain of hot gas.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030223.html
Ten Earths could easily fit in the "claw" of this seemingly solar monster. (note how this one is actually correct - did NASA get a large shipment of clue on that day?)
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030707.html
The Earth would easily fit below the prominence on the left.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000809.html
...the entire Earth could easily fit into its outstretched arms.

As for my personal math skills, they are fine, thank you very much. As is my ability to notice the errors others make. I still stand for my 50-100 estimate, though I agree that it might be 20-150, depending on the location of the prominence relative to the Sun.

P.S. Thanks for the nice words, onetrack!
paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:05 PM   #43
mrnoodle
bent

..throws his arms across his eyes, but is unable to shield himself from the mighty, terrible incandescence of the Nerd-Rays projecting from this argument.

edited because I misspelled incandescence the first time.....
Old 04-19-2004, 07:35 PM   #44
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Aren't we glad that *we* don't generate gigantic magnetic fields that contain our farts for tens of minutes to hours?
I once farted so much for so long that I put myself into a coma for 12 hours.

Ask Lady Sidhe, she'll verify. She thought I had died in my sleep.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:39 PM   #45
Elspode

Quote:
Originally posted by paranoid
I don't see how forgetting to replace the name in the copied line has anything to do with HTML skills at all. I hope you are joking, though. And I also hope you see the difference between spreading the misconception and making an obvious error in editing the post.
Hey, an error is an error, right? Besides, isn't spreading a misconception about who said what a more personally grievous error than having a somewhat humorous and skewed explanation about a physical phenomenon that, frankly, most of us are intelligent enough to figure out on our own?

Or are you more concerned about facts and less about people in general?