The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
rkzenrage

Terrorizing Toast

http://www.komotv.com/news/archive/4153866.html

Quote:
DES MOINES - Cecilia Beaman is a 57-year-old grandmother, a principal at Pacific Middle School in Des Moines, and as of Sunday is also a suspected terrorist.
"This is not right," she told us. It's not right!"

This past weekend she and several other chaperones took 37 middle school students to a Heritage Festival band competition in California. The trip included two days at Disneyland.

During the stay she made sandwiches for the kids and was careful to pack the knives she used to prepare those sandwiches in her checked luggage. She says she even alerted security screeners that the knives were in her checked bags and they told her that was OK.

But Beaman says she couldn't find a third knife. It was a 5 1/2 inch bread knife with a rounded tip and a serrated edge. She thought she might have lost or misplaced it during the trip.

On the trip home, screeners with the Transportation Security Administration at Los Angeles International Airport found it deep in the outside pocket of a carry-on cooler. Beaman apologized and told them it was a mistake.

"You've committed a felony," Beaman says a security screener announced. "And you're considered a terrorist."

Beaman says she was told her name would go on a terrorist watch-list and that she would have to pay a $500 fine.

"I'm a 57-year-old woman who is taking care of 37 kids," she told them. "I'm not gonna commit a terrorist act." Beaman says they took information from her Washington drivers license and confiscated and photographed the knife according to standard operating procedure.

She says screeners refused to give her paperwork or documentation of her violation, documentation of the pending fine, or a copy of the photograph of the knife.

"They said 'no' and they said it's a national security issue. And I said what about my constitutional rights? And they said 'not at this point ... you don't have any'."

KOMO News did reach a spokesperson with the Transportation Security Administration for comment. They said they did not have record of Beaman's confrontation but did admit that TSA screeners are, by design, becoming more strict.

Despite continued warnings to passengers, TSA screeners say travelers continue to bring banned items in their carry-on luggage. Knives, guns, and other weapons are found and confiscated daily.

Fines issued for knives and other sharp objects range from $250 to $1,500. Fines issued for firearms discovered in carry-on luggage range from $1,500 to $7,500.

The TSA web site also indicates firearms violations will be referred for potential criminal prosecution. The same site does not propose the same criminal referral for knives like the one Cecilia Beaman was carrying.

"This is not the way my country should be treating me," she said. My concern is that if that's the way they're treating American citizens I would hate to think how they're treating other people. It's crazy."

The TSA reminds travelers that is has the authority to impose civil penalties up to $10,000 per violation.

"TSA needs the help of the traveling public in reducing the number of prohibited items brought to airport screening checkpoints," reads the Sanction Guidelines section of the TSA web site. "TSA recognizes that most passengers who carry prohibited items do so without any ill intent. TSA does not impose fines on the vast number of passengers who inadvertently carry prohibited items. Dealing with any prohibited item, however, adds time to the screening process both for the traveler who brought the item and for other travelers as well."

You can find a complete list of banned items, range of fines levied for violations, and information on how to plead your case with the TSA at www.tsa.gov.
How is one a "terrorist" if:
A: They have yet to be charged.
B: There is no indication of intent/plan of terror
C: She informed them of the use of the knives/knife
D: The people who ran the show are not really humans, just sub-humans someone gave a badge to?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Cloud

sounds like she's in a jam!

pass the marmalade, please.

Those TSA dudes and dudettes are pricks.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
rkzenrage

LOL!! Jam... nice.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
http://www.komotv.com/news/archive/4153866.html

C: She informed them of the use of the knives/knife
D: The people who ran the show are not really humans, just sub-humans someone gave a badge to?
The correct answer is that one can only be accused of being a terrorist if one is not an Arab male between the ages of 20 and 30.

Heck, she could have used that knife to spread peanut butter, and someone could be allergic.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Like this. Summary of the bill can be found here.

Quote:
S. 1237 would give the attorney general, a presidential appointee, the authority to suspend or cancel someone's Second Amendment right, even if that person has never been charged with a crime, the Second Amendment Foundation warned.
Concerns over firearms aside, the bigger picture is that the government wants to be able to remove your rights without cause, without trial, and without oversight. All with nothing more than suspicion.

Quote:
SAF founder Alan Gottlieb said the bill "raises serious concerns about how someone becomes a 'suspected terrorist.' Nobody has explained how one gets their name on such a list, and worse, nobody knows how to get one's name off such a list."
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
rkzenrage

Stalin and Mao would be proud.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Why do you all hate Freedom? Don't you want to feel safe?

Its people like you who screw things up for the rest of us sheep.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Someone pass the popcorn.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Someone pass the popcorn.
... because TheMercenary hates it when we waste time worrying about our Constitutional rights. The fascist TheMercenary knows we are only wasting effort. He knows his righteous wacko extremists partners will eventually prevail. Felony imprisonment for the schoolyard administrator. That is also how the Nazis did it.

TheMercenary loves democracy for same reasons that Hitler did. Imprision her. She needs to be replaced by a Limbaugh lover instead. Good place to start reeducating kids into the wisdoms of Pres Cheney. Next come school uniforms. Brown is a good team color.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Godwin'd
Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Allah Akbar!!!!
Figures. Anyone else surprised?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Wait, I missed this on first read
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Next come school uniforms.
Huh?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A lot of public school districts, around the country, are instituting dress codes that include uniforms.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #14
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

I hope they do start $10,000 fines for security violations. By all means hurry up and kill the airline industry; this slow death shit is just annoying.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:50 AM   #15
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
A lot of public school districts, around the country, are instituting dress codes that include uniforms.
We are going through that now. It has been defeated for the second year in a row. The biggest supporters are the members of the community who are religiously on the right. I bet it will come around again next year. As the president of the school board lectured the public in your best church lady voice, "This is about morality people!"

No you idiot, this is about your systems failures to apply the rules currently on the books.