The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 01-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Cape Verde, anyone...?

Seems to be hitting the headlines as a place to punt a few US $s in over here (well, £ sterling over here, naturally), although maybe the current exchange rate $/Euro takes the edge off it a bit.

Seems to be a viable potential alternative to the Caribbean islands and a hurricane-free zone to boot! Quite a few Brits buying into the idea, getting tempted myself. Some low risk deals to be had. Check out here for a taster.

The island of Santiago looks a good bet as it has a new international airport but direct flight deals are in their infancy, keeping prices low for now - direct filghts are already available from/to Boston, Mass. Environment looks very attractive.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good to hear from you Cyclefrance, missed you.
So the Cape Verde leadership wants to be part of the European community, rather than African. Do the locals feel the same way or at least ambivalent?

The limited supply of water, means you'll have to make some adjustments. Personal sacrifice will be necessary, such as saving the water for necessary uses and drink wine instead. I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm sure that British stiff upper lip will prevail....by the case.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Hi Bruce - time flies - never realised it had been so long - plus now have much needed extra pair of hands at work which is another bonus to creating time for more importnat things in life...

The Cape Verde thing looks positive, judging by the way it is being handled - projects like the Sambala one I linked to are taking a holistic approach to tourism: investing back in the economy (building a hospital and schools), employing and training local labour, supporting ecological schemes and also investing in desalination plants and various energy and resource saving initiatives. Have a look at the video here - a bit salesy naturally but it covers the vison and strategy of the organisation.

Wine not so important as grogue apparently, but as yoiu say, we will endeavour to cope!