Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #1
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Identity linkage

I wasn't sure where this thread should fit, we don't have a psychology section and it isn't really philosophy. A recent <A HREF="http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11701"> thread</A> in the IotD section brought up an interesting issue that's interesting to look at on it's own. Brianna brought up the point that the girl should be at least given the opportunity to pursue treatment for her condition, but I'm almost certain no one would let her do it even if she wanted to be just like other kids. People often identify themselves with conditions such as this, there's even records of people who got a false positive on HIV tests being more depressed than angery when they find out the truth. A while back there were widespread protests in Canada in response to the implanation of prosthetic hearing devices in infants born with significant hearing loss. Their argument? We are trying to wipe out the deaf community. This often isn't logical and like I said is more of a psychological bizzarity than anything.