The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-18-2004, 06:59 PM   #16
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah
Some folks get very, very hung up on words. So much so that using one conception or another causes them to stop thinking entirely about the dataset being presented.

What I'm saying wah, is that "we" (as in all of us) don't even know what/that "it" is - how then do we know that "it" is disturbed? I say we don't. If you want to strap on a sandwhich board and declare the end is near! though, be my guest.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:04 PM   #17
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce

Btw, love your picture, Jinx.
Ahh! Are you trying to get me beat up or something? I don't want your harem comin' after me...

Ps:
Old 11-18-2004, 07:07 PM   #18
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah
If the 'god talk' rubs you the wrong way...how about..."There is a disturbance in the Force." Then we can use one of the modern day myths, instead of the old skool stuff.
What's disturbed is the delicate balance of nature. Of course, the only delicate thing is the current balance. Once upset, it will happily find a new balance. We can only hope the new balance is one we can live with.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:12 PM   #19
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah
but I went for a walk around the island of Manhattan the other day to try and listen to the song of the earth
I can't imagine a place less in touch and/or more removed from "the song of the earth" than Manhattan.

No wonder your picking up all this weird shit - It could be that the ammonia from homeless urine is interfering with the signals you are picking up from the earth spirit or maybe you are confusing the gentle voice of mother earth with the humm of the subway HVAC units. Just a theory.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:18 PM   #20
wah
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Hugs and Kisses Bruce said
Quote:
You're assuming something you aren't knowledgeable about portends bad shit.
Are you assuming it does not? If so, then we on equal footing here, no? All I'm saying is that perhaps we should spend a bit of time reflecting on our actions. "The Day After Tomorrow" would not be a good reflection, as time is compressed into a ludicrous density...but the data does seem to suggest the course we are on is not a particularly healthy one for our species. I'll not bring up the war because that could prove a useless tangent, but well, tell me this guy isn't looking at the face with a thousand masks (god/matrix/yoda/buddha).

Jinx :
Quote:
What I'm saying wah, is that "we" (as in all of us) don't even know what/that "it" is - how then do we know that "it" is disturbed? I say we don't.
I guess all I can say is that I disagree. I would say that 'we' can know if 'it' is disturbed by looking at all that is going on around us and reflecting upon the answer, or some type of plausible explanation. I would say that I have, and I would go further out on the limb and say that <i>I know</i> what "it" is (in a sense).

I would say this because I <i>feel</i> it, and I would be happy to be strapped up to a bunch of electrodes to illustrate this fact (no, I haven't had shock therapy before (haha), but I have read a bit about the neurological basis for "feeling", and believe such to exist and be useful).

Happy Monkey :
Quote:
Once upset, it will happily find a new balance. We can only hope the new balance is one we can live with.
Yes, and we should hope that "it" doesn't decide "we" are what needs to be removed to return the balance. "It" finding a new balance could very well spell 'calamity' for the species human. Then again, maybe there is just a thorn in a paw somewhere, and we must simply remove it and dress the wound.

Beestie:
Quote:
I can't imagine a place less in touch and/or more removed from "the song of the earth" than Manhattan.
True, which is why I had to walk all the way around it to hear much of anything. BTW, and just FYI, I do have a bit of the blood of this land (the native blood) in my viens. Also, I've seen pictures of the song..

The halfway point of my walk led me to this plaque.

The voice of gentle mother earth is not so gentle at this time, IMVHO opinion. It is quite angry, IMVVHO.
wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:13 PM   #21
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Btw, love your picture, Jinx.
The one of Jinx in the pool was far less scary.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:14 PM   #22
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
If you want to strap on a sandwhich board and declare the end is near! though, be my guest.
Huh...huhhuh...uhuh...Jinx said "strap on"...uhuh...huh...
Old 11-18-2004, 11:16 PM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

All right. You have already been delivering pizzas too long, Beavis.

It's back to the fast food place and the fryer for you.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:16 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Ahh! Are you trying to get me beat up or something? I don't want your harem comin' after me...
Not to worry, they can be stopped by a mouse (click)
Old 11-19-2004, 10:12 AM   #25
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
All right. You have already been delivering pizzas too long, Beavis.

It's back to the fast food place and the fryer for you.
The lack of sleep is really beginning to catch up to me, and I've only worked two nights so far. Man, I am a wimp.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:45 AM   #26
jaguar
whig

Quote:
Some folks get very, very hung up on words. So much so that using one conception or another causes them to stop thinking entirely about the dataset being presented.
Not the wording, just that, put slightly obliquely, correlation does not equal causation. We fuck up the ecosystem, the ecosystem gets fucked up, extrapolating anything else from that is erroneous. My gut tells me we've just fucked up something major too, mostly a reaction to the news we've probably just hit that fun halfway point in atmospheric damage where feedback kicks in and it only gets faster but in the end, it's just that, nothing more, nothing less.

As for dan rather on Iraq, fuck him and his glorification of war and death, I bet the Spaniards said the same about those they sent to annihiliate the aztecs.

Last edited by jaguar; 11-19-2004 at 10:48 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #27
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Locusts are freaky. My understanding is that they come about when population densities of grasshoppers become too high and mutate into these agressive little bastards. Creepy.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 04:22 PM   #28
wah
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Correlation and Causation

Jaquar said:
Quote:
Not the wording, just that, put slightly obliquely, correlation does not equal causation. We fuck up the ecosystem, the ecosystem gets fucked up, extrapolating anything else from that is erroneous.
you are missing the part where the ecosystem fucks us up in response, to return the balance. Again, just staying within your own use of the words, and extrapolating from your givens.

Additional the correlation/causation thing is more of a statistical thing, yes? We are not talking about a statistical situation, but more of a 'gut feeling'. In that sense, there is little difference. It is evident that we could slow down the causes of the correlation, but have chosen not to, based on some sense of 'faith' that we'll just wake up one day and find everything to be peachy keen. I don't see that happening, or really, see any evidence of it ever happening in history. It takes action to counter-act action, not blind faith or fervent hope.

Quote:
My gut tells me we've just fucked up something major too, mostly a reaction to the news we've probably just hit that fun halfway point in atmospheric damage where feedback kicks in and it only gets faster but in the end, it's just that, nothing more, nothing less.
Nothing more and nothing less that us fucking up something major. That is quite a bit of something, IMHO.

Quote:
As for dan rather on Iraq, fuck him and his glorification of war and death, I bet the Spaniards said the same about those they sent to annihiliate the aztecs.
I don't know how Dan Rather came into the discussion, I was referencing the look on Miller's face, and his growing status as a 'War Icon'. You can see, reflected in his eyes, the Infinite.

It is an awesome picture that can capture such a thing, IMHO.
wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:11 PM   #29
jaguar
whig

Quote:
you are missing the part where the ecosystem fucks us up in response, to return the balance. Again, just staying within your own use of the words, and extrapolating from your givens.
Or you're anthropomorphizing the ecosystem, the same way the greeks said the reason the sun went over the sky was because it was the wheel of Apollo's chariot.

Quote:
Nothing more and nothing less that us fucking up something major. That is quite a bit of something, IMHO.
I'll work on the assumption that 'that' was meant to be than. A bit of something it is, quite possibly it'll lead to the biggest upheval in centuries but it is nothing more or less than that, however much it may be.

I didn't quite follow you were talking about just the pic for some reason, my bad really. While it certainly is becoming an icon of sorts I'm not so convinced of the Infinate, call me down to earth but it looks like a tired soldier grabbing a fag and keeping an eye out for stray Iraqis with automatic weaponary.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #30
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah
Well, 'we' (I) don't know what 'word' you (both singular and plural) use to describe such things. Hence, we use a more 'linguistic shotgun' approach.

It certainly <i>seems</i> like a disturbance. It certainly <i>feels</I> like one. To call such events 'normal' seems a bit of a stretch, IMHO.

Some would say, that thinking obsessively about the database being presented; could get one very hung up on th words......