The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-20-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
jfalk68
Rapscallion

Favorite 90s bands?

Every weekend, it’s flashback 80’s time, but there were a lot of fantastic bands from the 90s too. What did you listen to in the 90s that makes you miss that decade in music the most? For me, the three most important bands were;

1. Nirvana (If Kurt Cobain were still alive, he would be approaching 40. Interesting)
2. Stone Temple Pilots (Plush. Loved it!!!)
3. Pearl Jam (Last CD was pretty good)

So, yeah, grunge was crucial. But that was me. You?
jfalk68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:47 PM   #2
breakingnews
Q_Q

Pearl Jam's first album, Ten, is, in my opinion, by far and away the best rock album I've ever listened to. It was the second CD I ever owned and one I still listen to at least every other day. I didn't like much after Versus, but they were a kick ass bad and put on a damn good show these days.

GNR Use Your Illusion I/II are up there too.

At think at that point in my life I was much more into Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg ... you gotta give that ghetto thing some credit, right?
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:32 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

For me, grunge represented the evil opposite of where I wanted to music to go, and I actually quit listening at that point for a while.

Dreariness for the sake of dreariness. A sound like mud. A shitty attitude. A return to lack of musicianship as a statement. Anti-corporate and highly corporate, all wrapped up in one package. Stupid!

I didn't listen to rock again until Butch Vig and Garbage appeared.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:41 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Shut up old man!

Some fantastic music came out of the '90s...most of it not grunge (though grunge did indeed rock the fuck out).

In no particular order:

--Radiohead
--Ministry
--Living Colour
--Nine Inch Nails
--Soundgarden
--Smashing Pumpkins
--Screaming Trees
--Moby
--Bjork
--Live
--Prodigy
--Depeche Mode
--Nirvana
--Pearl Jam
--Alice in Chains
--Fishbone
--24-7 Spyz
--OutKast
--Snoop Dogg
--The Roots
--Ozomatli
--Terence Trent D'Arby
--David Bowie
--Johnny Cash
--Stone Temple Pilots
--Helmet
--Pantera
--Godflesh
--Seal
--Guns n' Roses
--Metallica
--Faith No More

And that's just what I can think of at the moment...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:51 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Not Live! Take out Live and replace them with Beck.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:59 PM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

How about Counting Crows? They're 90's aren't they?

Of course, good musicians aren't constrained to a single decade. Some of the bands I listen to have been putting out albums fairly regularly since the mid-seventies.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 01:14 AM   #7
bmgb
Master of the Domain

The Pixies!

Throwing Muses

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and all those other grungies were also big favorites of mine.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:19 AM   #8
breakingnews
Q_Q

There was a big rise in indie bands during the 90s too ... granted there always are many awesome local groups, but some of those eventually went mainstream. I haven't heard of too many groups making that kind of scene these days.

I.e., Phish, Moe, Stringcheese Incident ...

Any of you from the northeast might remember names like God Street Wine, Acoustic Junction, From Good Homes, Granian, Box Set ... they were pretty big locals during the late 90s. Oh, can't forget Guster.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:31 AM   #9
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I was into Nirvana, Pearl Jam, (and their alter ego, Stone Temple Pilots), Dre, Snoop, Metallica, U2, and let us not forget - the nu-metal genre came out in the 90s. Korn, Staind, Slipknot, etc. I had some nice bus rides to school thinking "Okay, do I want to go in there pissed off, depressed, or relatively mellow?" and playing the appropriate CD.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:48 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Garbage

Weezer

Supergrass

Although I never went for Nirvana, I do like Foo Fighters ok, whether in "hard" mode or "pop" mode.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:57 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

And Blur, dammit!

The poppy wussy ones I care about that nobody else does that are all 90s: Saint Etienne, Ivy, Everything but the Girl, Hooverphonic.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:54 PM   #12
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Alice in Chains, Tool, Bush and Type O Negative... um... and I don't have their albums...
      The 90's sucked musicaly. I was pleased to hear Cobain blew his head off. Any dickhead that's so selfish that they think they have the right to kill themselves after they are responsible for a kid needs to die.
      Sadly though, old school metal died. We went from rebelion to whining. Pathetic.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:57 PM   #13
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
I was pleased to hear Cobain blew his head off. Any dickhead that's so selfish that they think they have the right to kill themselves after they are responsible for a kid needs to die.
Well, you obviously don't have a very strong grasp of depression.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:00 PM   #14
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Actually, I do. I just also have a grasp of responsibility.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:21 PM   #15
dave

If you think a grasp of responsibility makes you incapable of killing yourself after you've had a child, you're wrong. Depression isn't just being sad or having a bad day, and it can make the most responsible people seriously contemplate taking the easy way out. I'm not an advocate for suicide, but I understand why it happens. So again, if you think that people that kill themselves after having a child by default have no grasp of responsibility, you need to pick up a few books on depression and try to work a few people through it. Saying someone deserves to die because they're severely depressed (which is essentially what you're saying, because depression can and does cause otherwise responsible people to take their own life) is extremely negligent and, as I said, most likely based in an extreme ignorance of depression.

Is suicide an irresponsible act? Yes. But depression afflicts rational and irrational alike, and just because someone commits suicide doesn't mean they deserve to die.