The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #346
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
1000 people laid off
Correction 2500 nationwide
Old 01-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #347
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Professional proofreading services available here free of charge.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #348
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post

He said, "No animosity with this, I like you. We're going forward with the team without you."

He said I'm available in the future... For what I asked, for more talk, y'know. He asked if there was anything I wanted to say.

It bugs me that no reason was given.

I must be doing something wrong but *fuck* if I know what it is. I wish I did, I'd stop doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post

No, I still don't know any more about the circumstances that led to his decision than I have already shared. I definitely haven't contacted him, though I've had conversations with him in my head.

I could be totally off base here, but I feel he was trying to let you know that he wanted to tell you the reason but couldn't in that time and place. It might be worth your while trying to set your anger aside and call him to see if he can shed any light on it.

If nothing else, a bit of closure, but perhaps also a bit of confidence going forward in your new job search, because at the moment, the not knowing and feeling there must be something you do wrong is impinging your ability to "be the best you" -you have a niggling self-doubt there that you're going to do the same thing again. Even though the chances are there's no such thing and you have just had some shit luck.

I hope that made some sense :/
Old 01-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #349
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It did to me, hopefully it will to him.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #350
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

When a person is involuntarily terminated from their job, they typically ask at least two questions if the answers haven't already been provided by the employer:

Why am I being terminated?

In some states this affects eligibility for unemployment compensation; because, you can't get it if the employer claims you were fired for misconduct. Termination for other reasons is essential to know when a prospective employer asks why you left your last job; so, they don't assume the worst.

What reason, if any, for my departure are you going to give prospective new employers when they contact you to verify my work history and departure standing?

Regardless of company policy, which may be to only verify your employment period, additional information about you may be passed on through off-the-record phone calls from prospective employers to your previous employer.

Not thinking to ask these questions at the time of termination is understandable since that can be a shocking experience causing distraction.

Not pursuing the answers after regaining focus is typically due to the person thinking they already know the likely answer and not wanting confirmation of it (they're in denial).

The thing is, there's always a chance that they're wrong and there's too much at stake to not find out for sure.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:15 PM   #351
monster

Quote:
Correction 2500 nationwide
aaaand they filed for bankruptcy

https://www.wsj.com/articles/kroger-...cy-11580136545
Old 01-28-2020, 06:40 AM   #352
Griff
still says videotape

Does this leave an opportunity for a competent grocery? A co-op or another small market?
Old 01-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #353
monster

Hard to say. Local market may be saturated.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #354
Griff
still says videotape

Gotcha. Be serious about networking, you have a shit ton of contacts through youth sports use them. This last time, I finally just asked people for help finding a new gig and the most unexpected person came through.

I observed two evaluations for Early Intervention services yesterday. I think I've made a good move. It turns out I just love the little dudes and they usually love me.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 PM   #355
monster

Schmoozing at an "informational interview' tomorrow. Got my outfit together. I HATE THIS
Old 01-30-2020, 12:41 AM   #356
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good news Griff, sounds like a good move.

Monster, because you hate it you'll work at it and do well.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:24 AM   #357
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Schmoozing at an "informational interview' tomorrow. Got my outfit together. I HATE THIS
Most people do. Hammer through this part by focusing on optimism.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #358
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Fingers crossed for both of you, monster and V.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #359
monster

I think it went really well... I was horribly apprehensive. She suggested the opening I was already applying for -as was hoped but I thought too optimistic because it seems a bit of a reach to me- and told me about another opening coming up, a few more places to check out, offered an introduction to someone I should talk to next and suggested the best ways to get my stats skills up to date -checked every single box and then some
Old 01-30-2020, 11:52 PM   #360
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Since these two fine citizens are available, they should both run for congress.