The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-09-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Thank you, America!

Fo making the right choice. Ending the long dark road of Arrogance of Power, Fear, Corruption, Polarisation, Confrontation.

12 years of intensely divisive years, sending the US plummiting in global standing, has now been ended

Thank you, American Voters, from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for giving Rummy the Great the boot, now waiting for the demise of the other Prince of Darkness; Cheney. His heart condition might be a good excuse?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I appreciate your thanks but I wonder why you hold me responsible for Bush/Cheney when I did not vote for them nor approve of them or their policies, etc?

America is as diverse as any country. To say 'we voted the right way' is not exactly correct as there are still millions of those beasties you hate so much, the far-right Republican/Christians. To blame all of America for Bush is equal to thanking all of America for the current power shift, no? I can think of many, MANY Cellarites who voted Republican this Midterm.

Did YOU vote for Blair? Can I hold you responsible for him?
Shall I spew all my hatred for him at you? That seem right to you?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 11-09-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Did YOU vote for Blair? Can I hold you responsible for him?
......Noooooo! don't do that......don't start blaming us for Bliar.......okay I did vote for Blair.......but in the first election he really did not come across as a weak-willed, lying, war-mongerer.........and then after that it was the realisation that however bad Blair was, the Tories would be worse.

*grins*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

OMG - like Kerry, or Gore for that matter would have done any better??? Puhlease. I'm not condoning anything that anyone did, but really people - would you rather be fighting those a**holes over here?? Don't forget THEY attacked US not the other way around.

I know that I am gonna get SLAMMED for saying that, but there is too much BS floating around not to have a grain or two of truth mentioned here somewhere.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065
but really people - would you rather be fighting those a**holes over here?? Don't forget THEY attacked US not the other way around.
Darling, the Brits don't see it that way at all. They only see it in terms of how it will effect them. They really don't even give a hang about us, in terms of individuals; they see us as one big mass of simple-minded, uncultured hicks who'd best do what they're told, or no pat on the head from them.

For them, we are a big, naughty toddler who needs a smack.
They don't care how our policies effect us, they only care how our policies effect THEM. IOW--we should not vote for what is best for ourselves and our country, we should vote for what will ultimately be best for Britain. They'll be happy to tell you how to vote! Just ask them!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 11-09-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
OMG - like Kerry, or Gore for that matter would have done any better??? Puhlease. I'm not condoning anything that anyone did, but really people - would you rather be fighting those a**holes over here?? Don't forget THEY attacked US not the other way around.

I know that I am gonna get SLAMMED for saying that, but there is too much BS floating around not to have a grain or two of truth mentioned here somewhere.

Quote:
This is exactly why I avoid politics like the plague..

Just messin' with you, yesman!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
glatt

Quote:
Don't forget THEY attacked US not the other way around.
I think you are the one who forgets. Bin Laden, a Saudi, led a bunch of other Saudis in an attack against us. Iraq had NOTHING to do with it.

We aren't fighting the people who attacked us.

Last edited by glatt; 11-09-2006 at 12:41 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #8
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

If you really honestly believe that glatt, then I am utterly speechless.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
glatt

Are you saying Iraq was partially or wholly behind the attacks against us on 9/11/01?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Abso-freakin-lutely, as well as many many other atrocities against mankind. To think that there was no relation to Saddam whatsoever is incredulous.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
glatt

Now I'm the one who is speechless.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quit it you guys. Coz Hippikos will get lost in how stupid we continue to be and won't answer my fookin' questions.

Oh, who am I trying to kid? He won't answer them anyway.

—James Barrie

Old 11-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Abso-freakin-lutely, as well as many many other atrocities against mankind. To think that there was no relation to Saddam whatsoever is incredulous.
Oh come on. Please tell me you don't actually believe that? All the evidence points to no involvement by Saddam whatsoever. The neo-cons have even admitted that. The fact that they couch such admissions in terms that then suggest the opposite doesn't change the facts.

Quote:
would you rather be fighting those a**holes over here?? Don't forget THEY attacked US not the other way around
America is not facing, nor ever has faced an invasion from Iraq. Likewise the UK. Granted they are now very pissed off with us, given that we invaded their country, destroyed its infrastructure and killed several hundred thousand of their people, so now they probably have the motivation for invasion, but I don't think we left them with enough to actually mount it.

Quote:
Darling, the Brits don't see it that way at all. They only see it in terms of how it will effect them. They really don't even give a hang about us, in terms of individuals; they see us as one big mass of simple-minded, uncultured hicks who'd best do what they're told, or no pat on the head from them.
That's not true. It's also interesting that having accused us of such gross generalisations, you then apply a gross generalisation to what we 'Brits' think of you Americans.

The problem isn't that people don't think America has a right to defend herself from attack. It's that people don't see America's defence as in anyway related to the invasion of a country which in no way posed a threat to either America, or Europe.

Iraq was not connected to 9/11. In no way was Iraq, or Saddam connected to the group who carried out that attack. It was not a war of self defence/protection. It was a war to remove Saddam's government from power. Now, whether or not that was right or wrong as a war aim is another debate. The point is, if the war was about removing another sovereign nation's leader and not because of that nation attacking America; how is there some kind of choice between fighting them over there and fighting them on home turf? The battle in America was never on the cards.

Brianna, when the 9/11 attack happened, Britain held out its hand to America. Our sympathy was assured and deepfelt. We were angry at what had been done to our friends. Do not read current anger at American and British leaders launching a war founded on lies, against a nation who posed no threat to either of us, as some kind of lack of interest or caring in what happens to America and Americans. There is a big difference between disagreeing with a country who went to war and wanting terrible things to happen to that country.

Last edited by DanaC; 11-09-2006 at 12:46 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
glatt

Check out this video. It's hosted by a lefty site, but the video is of Bush.

In it Bush says "nobody has suggested in this administration that Saddam Hussein ordered the attack. Iraq was a — Iraq — the lesson of September 11th is take threats before they fully materialize, Ken. Nobody’s ever suggested that the attacks of September the 11th were ordered by Iraq."
Old 11-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #15
Flint
Snowflake

attack! attack!

Attached Images

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote