The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 04-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Any dwellars near Orlando?

We will be on vaca in Orlando this year. Is anyone down there or nearby?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

radar, maybe...
Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Me. I'm in Clearwater.

But I'll be in Orlando for the weekend, June 8-10, with family in tow. We're taking a train up and staying at the Nickelodeon Resort, probably in the SpongeBob room . Oh but it will be fun! All the swimming and kiddie stuff .

Nick Hotel

When will you be in Orlando?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Make sure you read up on the Hidden Mickey concept ... gives you something to do when standing in lines and generally wandering around. Make sure you have some of the German Beer in Epcot ... teh awesome.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

It looks like we're taking a trip down to Orlando in July... we're going to try to make some side trips to Sea World, Universal, and Kennedy Space Center. It's turning out to be a bit more epic & complicated than we originally planned, but it's probably a once-in-a-lifetime proposition for us.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It will be even more epic and complicated that you have envisioned. Have a great time.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Make sure you read up on the Hidden Mickey concept ... gives you something to do when standing in lines and generally wandering around. Make sure you have some of the German Beer in Epcot ... teh awesome.
We might end up doing Seaworld and Universal and not doing Disneyworld, although we might reconsider a day at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Our grandson is only 3, so he's not going on many of the attractions. Also, I remember the miles of walking when we took our kids there a decade ago. I also have a general philosophy that the #2 guys will try harder and be less crowded. Add to that the fact that my daughter-in-law loves Harry Potter.

My grandson loves animals, so Animal Kingdom might still be a go.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

We'll be there in May - and go frequently - Rich if you need help with anything - please let me know - I love to help folks discover Disney (and to a lesser extent, the other parks)

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
We might end up doing Seaworld and Universal and not doing Disneyworld, although we might reconsider a day at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
I'm extremely meh. on Disney.

But I'm the only one in the family who's been (30-odd years ago), so the others are dying to. It looks like we're going to do an almost-2-week block, and have several days to do Sea World, Universal, and Kennedy Space Center, and then another several days to go to Disney proper.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
glatt

It's looking like I've successfully avoided a family trip to Disney. I realize I've still got a couple more years before I can say the coast is clear for certain, but it's looking good. I think a couple trips to Hershey Park and Six Flags have been enough. I did Disneyland as a kid, and it was fine, but I have no desire to take this family of 4 to Disneyworld.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My parents took us to Disneyworld when I was maybe 5 and my brother was 2. When I got to school the next year, a bunch of kids started talking about Six Flags, but no one else had been to Disney.

I went home and angrily told my dad that he should have taken me to Six Flags instead.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I think that's an instructional fable for parenting, right there in a nutshell.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's looking like I've successfully avoided a family trip to Disney. I realize I've still got a couple more years before I can say the coast is clear for certain, but it's looking good. I think a couple trips to Hershey Park and Six Flags have been enough. I did Disneyland as a kid, and it was fine, but I have no desire to take this family of 4 to Disneyworld.
I went for the first time last year. Just me and my husband. I had a blast. BUT, I would never waste money taking kids. They have just as much fun at a local amusement/water park and then a zoo. Disney is waaaay to expensive.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Amen
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Name:  smurfsx.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  21.3 KB