The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-16-2003, 07:08 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

The FleckTones

How often does a bassist steal the show? If Victor Wooten didn't last night it was only out of respect for his bandmates. Bela Fleck and the FleckTones were right there on the edge of jazz and jam rock. Each individual was given time to show off individual talents followed with some wild blendings. The even had a woman playing that wierd star trek instrument with the mag fields that you move your hands in to control the synth. That was interesting but she couldn't really create at the level of the other players. In all fairness it was the first time she'd played with them live.

Future Man was spectacular on the drumitar and his other assorted percussion toys. He really kept the band together. Despite being a Red Sox fan Jeff Coffin showed actual genius on the various saxes which he played. He also tore off a horn section riff playing two saxes at once, getting big laughs with his spit flying everywhere, fantastic. Apparently Bernie Williams plays on their new release which we just ordered along with Sam Bush Jerry Douglas and Nickel Creek very very cool. Remarkably my ears didn't hurt after. Its a funny thing if you play well enough you don't have to deafen your audience. Others should take note. I don't have to say anything about Bela. These guys are true music nerds, fabulous stuff. Atmosphere State Theatre Ithaca, tabouli and pot, lovely.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Oops. I was going to throw up their link here. Lottsa stuff there, Flecktoons etc...
Old 10-18-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They say he was on Conan... I missed it

I would like to see Wooten just because everyone says he's the shit, but I don't like busy bassists. I like bassists who play for the song.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:52 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Did the device she was playing look at all like this? If so, that's a Theremin, the original instrument that can be played without touching it! Moog makes a version that outputs MIDI and can therefore control the pitch and volume of other devices, but the Theremin makes its own spooky, monster movie sound. Wish I could afford one.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Yep. Theremin thats the critter, kinda looks like an old sewing machine or a strange piece of furniture sitting there. I think its what they used to make the original Star Trek tune. Everyone else in the band was interacting and mobile but she had to stay in her zone. It is capable of some remarkably low heart stopping frequencies.

I'd say Wooten is all that but the grooves they were laying out really wouldn't lend themselves to the rock steady bassist he has to create because thats what the FleckTones do. It is a great fit for him. I'm betting he'd put a smile on your face.

Last edited by Griff; 10-18-2003 at 06:57 PM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 02:12 AM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The epitome of modern Theremin use, in my rather limited and extremely humble opinion, is to be found in the soundtrack of "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Serious music, with chillingly effective scary noises, fitting together like no one dared hope imagine. I recommend this amazing Bernard Hermann score highly. There is even a CD of the sountrack, which I happen to own!
Old 10-20-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Reading the liner notes, apparently Wootens brother Joe also plays the theremin but plays the thing more like a turntable.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:32 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

TiVo'd the Conan repeat and watched it last night. I know I'm being the music ultra-contrarian here, for which I apologize in advance. But I remain unmoved.

They're very impressive, but at the end of the song, did the song move me? What did the song say? Was it a happy song, a sad song? Were its changes meaningful? Did its chords appeal to the emotions? Did it have a memorable hook or chorus?

No, it's a bunch of guys playing real fast for the purpose of playing real fast and impressing everyone with their chops.

I'm a purist in another direction, is all. To me the song is the thing, and anything that distracts from it is out of place. If someone uses a theremin there had better be a damned good reason for it other than it's a cool vintage instrument. It's extremely distinctive so it has much more capacity to ruin a song no matter who's playing it. If someone is going to play bass real fast, even if it's tasteful, it must say something to the song.

But again that's just me, and I'm weird.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:43 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Sounds like somebody got up on the contrary side of the bed this morning. I move around a lot musically. Sometimes I want the hook, sometimes I want the twenty minute jam. If you want to hit me with power pop you'd better have a sense of humor about your music and where you really are on the food chain. Cake is righteous while your Brittany Spaniel is not. Trents tune Hurt is the kind of craftrmanship I can get behind. I'm also very big on musicianship, Cash's voice was his instrument, whereas John Fahey doesn't need words to tell his story. The kids of Nickel Creek really do it for me. Musicianship so the live show doesn't fall flat, plenty of hooks but the chops dominate.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:00 PM   #10
bmgb
Master of the Domain

I too, live for the song and the story it tells. How skilled the musicians are is secondary, though I can certainly appreciate skill as well.

A lot of my musician-type friends would rather listen to music played fast and well, because they are more apt to marvel at the skill. And it is amazing what some musicians can do.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:46 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

One of my favorite solos of all rock music is Gilmour on (Pink Floyd's) "Comfortably Numb". It must also be one of the slowest solos of all rock music. And no shredding wanker out there could ever pull it off. I've tried a few times myself, and it's one of those cases where you could know every note - and play every note exactly in time - and still not manage to get anywhere near the statement Gilmour makes. His remarkable emotional feel is exactly right for the song.

Another of my favorites is Glenn Tilbrook, Squeeze's "Another Nail for my Heart". Now there's a speedy romp solo that flies all over the place, but that's exactly what the song is too so it fits perfectly.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:28 PM   #12
greenian
Simulated Simulacrum

wooten

I've seen the Flecktones three times. Now, just be forewarned, I'm a bass-player, and so I watch the flecktones mostly to get blown away by wooten. But the rest of the flecktones rock. The sax dude, he's crazy. Futureman is probably too be-bopaliscious for me to truly appreciate him, but he rocks nonetheless. And Bela is a virtuoso on the banjo, a pretty weird thing to be a virtuoso on, but he's still the master! But Wooten, he's unreal. Every time I see the man play I'm waiting for the mothership to beam him back onboard for the return trip to Planet Bass.

whatever, I can't sing his praises enough.
greenian is offline   Reply With Quote