The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-09-2005, 07:35 AM   #106
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Jag, Czin, and all the other Brits on this site: My apologies for my fellow Americans stupid-assed comments. Radar is beyond help but he's allowed to have a keyboard for some reason. Ignore him.

You Brits are showing your true mettle. You have my admiration and my best wishes. You make us all proud.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #107
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Jag, and all the other Brits here, take care of yourselves. I hope they find the bastards.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:46 PM   #108
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
AS IF actually having a hard number, a verifiable number to 4 decimal places would even have an effect on anything anyway. Sheesh.
True enough, BigV. I only mention it because there have been a number of posts arguing over it. This is a smart group. You'd think we could raise better arguments than "is not" "is too" stuff.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #109
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Jag, Czin, and all the other Brits on this site: My apologies for my fellow Americans stupid-assed comments. Radar is beyond help but he's allowed to have a keyboard for some reason. Ignore him.
Actually, Radar is being developed as America's newest weapon in the war on terror. We plan on dropping him in the middle of Afghanistan with a megaphone and a pair of running shoes. In about 2 or 3 hours, every Muslim extremist in the world is going to forget about hating Americans or Europeans in general and concentrate on just one in particular.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:13 PM   #110
marichiko

Good one, Rich! Yeah, that comment of Radar's was one of the most unfeeling things I've ever read. That's Radar for you.

Last edited by marichiko; 07-09-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #111
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzinZumerzet
Radar. Just dont ever ever come looking for friends here in England after that filthy bit of written excrement. That wasn't humour it was a glimpse into something disgusting masquerading as a mind. Don't waste your time trying to explain or justify yourself because foul mouthing dead, maimed and missing people never was remotely funny even among adolescents which I take you to be. I am completely disgusted.
Why would I look for friends in England? I have plenty in America, Japan, Vietnam, Ireland, Israel, France, Holland, Spain, Australia, etc. I'd have to be at the bottom of the barrel to look for friends in England. If you can't take a prostitute joke, it only proves what tightass assholes the English are.

Briana can shove her apology up her ignorant ass too. I don't require an apology, I've done nothing that needs to be apologized for. I make no apologies and don't need to explain anything. Blow me if you don't like it.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #112
marichiko

Charming as always, aren't we? I'm almost sorry I stuck up for you on the statistics thing. I guess its like the monkey on the typewriter. Bang away long enough and it actually comes up with a correct sentence.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #113
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
SNIP~~
I spoke at some length of a friend of mine that acted as part of the legal team defending some of the guys in the Ricin Plot case that collapsed over here. He had a few interesting things to say.
1: There is a big fear of a huge crackdown of some sort on the Muslim community, there have already been many, many arrests.
2: The majority of those guys will be completely innocent but the hurt and anger that will come from their harsh treatment while they are arrested will do nothing to help relations.
3: One of their ex-clients or friend thereof as a thank-you warned them to stay off the tube. He has since been arrested.
~~SNIP
And neither your friend or whomever warned him alerted the authorities? That makes them both accessories before the fact, to murder. Gosh, I wonder why the whackos can't be stopped.

Oh, that bullshit about surviving the blitz. That generation is long gone.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #114
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

How can they warn some people as a "thank you" = yeah right, so like that "helpful" westerner is so much nicer, or deserving than the next. Its just such bullshit. People crap on and say "oh but if you only got to know the Muslims (or whoever it is) personally, you would understand their way of life and thinking more."

pfft!

Get to know US more you cowards. Get to know how simple, and pure WE really are. get to know that we are nice, and we are good, and we are not anything BAD!! If they did maybe they would want to give us all "thankyou's" by not bombing us in the first place. even though we don't worship Ala and wear full covering clothes and kill our women if they blink more than the regulated hourly allowed amount for blinking.

I just wish all the bad people would disappear.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:35 PM   #115
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Wow. The terrorists are winning. They now have us so viciously fighting among ourselves as to escalate to insults. Next comes fisticuffs. Now that will be interesting.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:56 AM   #116
jaguar
whig

bruce - they were alerted as soon has he left the building as far as i'm aware, with the clients and work they do they have to be ultracareful about this stuff.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:06 PM   #117
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz
---snip---People crap on and say "oh but if you only got to know the Muslims (or whoever it is) personally, you would understand their way of life and thinking more."

pfft!

Get to know US more you cowards. Get to know how simple, and pure WE really are. get to know that we are nice, and we are good, and we are not anything BAD!! If they did maybe they would want to give us all "thankyou's" by not bombing us in the first place.--snip--
First let me say that I agree with you that if we were better known by the people who are bombing us, that maybe we wouldn't be bombed. A lot more than maybe, actually, more like almost certainly. In fact I think the truth of that proposition extends even beyond east-west muslim-christian-jew brown-white-black-yellow-red "differences". I think that it is unavoidable that the more you really know another person, the less likely you are to want to bomb them.

Which brings me to me to the point on which you and I agree less. I read your post and I get the sense that you're saying: "Some people tell me to get to know 'them' and things would be better, but I say let 'them' get to know me instead and things will be better". There's a lot of truth to that.

The sticking point for me is this. I can get other people to do diddly-squat. I say "do this, do that" and it's just wind. I have a vanishingly small amount of control over what other people do. But, I do have much more control over what I do. And if I choose to do so, I can learn about 'them'. Which will likely have the positive effects described above. And will possibly have the positive effect of demonstrating to 'them' that: A--I am not bombing them, and B--I value 'them' enough to put forth the effort to learn about them, and that will probably incline them to reciprocrate.

It all starts inside, and the only inside I have access to is my own. That's the only change I can count on making. That's the one I try to make better every day.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #118
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
think that it is unavoidable that the more you really know another person, the less likely you are to want to bomb them.
Unless you are a murderous Islamofacist extreemist blindly convinced of your own revelation and the subhuman nature of your victims. I do not believe there is any rehabilitation possibility there. Recruiting and indoctrination, if we can find a way to break that powerful weapon....

The moderate muslims need more than to just get to know us, they need to get to know and value a new view of themselves.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #119
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
Unless you are a murderous Islamofacist extreemist blindly convinced of your own revelation and the subhuman nature of your victims. I do not believe there is any rehabilitation possibility there. Recruiting and indoctrination, if we can find a way to break that powerful weapon....
There are extremists on both sides of the equation. Some are sociopaths who would pose a threat to human life under any circumstances. Why are sociopaths able to recruit followers? Generally something has gone very wrong in the social milieu from which their followers emerge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
The moderate muslims need more than to just get to know us, they need to get to know and value a new view of themselves.
How do you think moderate Muslims view themselves? Why should moderates get a new view of themselves? Perhaps moderate Christians should do the same. It is not the moderates on either side who have gotten us into this, but the fundamentalists on BOTH sides who are creating the havoc.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #120
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Wait wait wait, I found this post from BigV on August 3, 1952. It was on the backups:

Quote:
If only we study the Klan, and let them air their greivances, perhaps they will not be been so violent and outraged. We must understand that there are some valid reasons why they hate the negro. Perhaps if we are open to them we can help them understand the differences of the negro. Anyway, the most important answer to their lynchings is to completely understand their different culture. At least, if we do, we will stop shooting at them in return when they show up on our lawns.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote