The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:37 PM   #16
jaguar
whig

PSP is *nice*. I played one one a bit but I couldn't justify the expense (...and i blew how much on Leica gear??) myself.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:33 PM   #17
mbpark
Lecturer

I have seen the PSP playing God Of War. It is incredibly nice.

Sony is going to own Microsoft with this one. Sony has one thing that Microsoft doesn't, which is the rights to a lot of great franchises.

I want Formula One for the PS3. Now.

What's going to kill MS is the fact that they're not almost 100% backward compatible. Sony isn't either, but it'll be a lot more games. This is what happens when you switch hardware vendors mid-stream. Sony has a consistent lock on the HW, and so does Nintendo, which means that they can at least ensure that the big titles work. Microsoft doesn't have this.

Microsoft, on the other hand, is going to try and tweak everything in Virtual PC. As well and good as that seems, there will be spots where it breaks, like with all emulators that are emulating hardware. Commodore only got to 99.something% with the C128, and about 90% with the C65 before ceasing development there. There are still issues emulating that machine with 3GHz P4's. I estimate they'll get to about 85%, and have to send out patches via Xbox Live to fix backward compatibility issues.

In other words, people who buy an Xbox 360 expecting backward compatibility are not going to get what they fully paid for, and you will hear people bitch about it loudly. Game Consoles shouldn't need Windows Update.

I also think that the PS3 is going to do better because of the dual-screen output. You will see EA take full advantage of this for the Madden franchise, and it will be huge. You will also see more sports games use this, including the NBA, NHL, and Soccer games.

That doesn't mean to say that it won't be used for auto racing or RPG games

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:33 PM   #18
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Nintendo doesn't seem to give a damn about backward compatibility ... unless it's the Gameboy.

Up until the end I was still waiting for the long promised cart adapter that would have allowed me to play my SNES (and Gameboy games other than Pokemon) on my 64.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:41 PM   #19
mbpark
Lecturer

Wolf,

Apparently, they realized this and are offering everything with the new system.

In other words: They realized they can make a lot of money from legit emulator images.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote