The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #1141
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Homeless man becomes famous. ( He is the last to know )

skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #1142
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Somewhere back in this thread, there was a story about one of our local high schools issuing laptops to all students, then got caught remotely turning on the built in camera when a kid was at home.

Anyway, they just settled with the school district.
The kid got $175,000.

The kid's lawyer got $425,000.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #1143
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Usually the lawyer takes 1/3, I wonder what the difference was.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #1144
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

...expenses. fookers do it all the time.

By the way, the "usual" is now 40%.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:43 AM   #1145
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Russian army in stitches over the blow up of tanks and rocket launchers

Quote:
BBC quotes worker:
"I'm proud to be making entire rocket-launchers and tanks for our armed forces. When you finish sewing them and you watch them being filled with air, it's so satisfying.”
link

Potemkin revisited
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #1146
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Woman gives birth on three triple dates

Quote:
A Michigan housewife is celebrating the birth of her daughter Cearra on the 10.10.10.
It follows the birth of her son on 09.09.09 and her other daughter on 08.08.08, at the odds of 50 million to one.
I find it hard to believe the odds are only 50 million to one.

More
Old 10-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #1147
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Bloodsport sans blood

NY Times

A Kind of Hunt That Even Deer Can Get Behind

Quote:
The tournament, held here in September by the American Whitetail Authority,
was the first in the Whitetail Pro Series, the only hunting competition in which deer are stalked but not killed.
<snip>
Armed with bolt-action 20-gauge shotguns mounted with digital scopes developed
for military training, each hunter was given five blank shells a day.
Each night, he returned the empty shells and firearm to tournament officials,
who removed a memory card from the $1,200 scope.
The 10-second video clips on the card were used to determine the most skillful hunter.
<snip>
Whitetail Pro Series judges reviewed the day’s video clips from hunters’ scopes at the Gopher Plantation in Millwood, Ga.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #1148
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Linky broken - here it is again
Old 10-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #1149
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Great, if this catches on our car insurance will skyrocket.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #1150
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I find it hard to believe the odds are only 50 million to one.

More
Were the labors induced, or maybe she had c-sections?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #1151
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not about how she did it, I should the odds against it themselves, would be more than 50 million to one.

Florida seems to be on a roll.
Quote:
ESTERO, Fla. — A woman is under arrest after getting in a fight in a taxicab at Stoneybrook Country Club early Sunday morning.

The sheriff's office report says deputies arrived on the scene to find Jessica Nicole Hincapie and Anna Lemoine fighting.According to the report, Hincapie was asked repeatedly to stop but refused.

When deputies placed Hincapie under arrest, she allegedly said, "You are in trouble because I am a New Yorker and my brother is CSI" and "My dad paid cash for my Toyota Corolla and I am too rich to go to jail."
Even as she was being taken to jail, deputies say she continued to tell the deputy he was going to be in serious trouble for arresting her.
Hincapie is charged with disorderly conduct.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Police want to conduct their own version of a panty raid on a group of women who stole more than $3,000 worth of liquor from a Hallandale Beach liquor store by stashing the bottles in their underwear.

Over the weekend, three women were caught on surveillance camera at DPF Liquors stuffing their skirts with some of the most expensive spirits in the house. The women also stuffed alcohol in their purses before walking out of the store with loaded panties. Store employees said they were distracted by other customers and didn't catch the women stuffing their skirts.

The store is offering a $500 reward for anyone with information on who stole their liquor. We're not sure if they want the bottles back after where they've been.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MIAMI — A fish jumped out of the water and speared a 45-year-old woman kayaker in the chest in the Florida Keys, causing injuries that required her evacuation by boat and helicopter to a Miami hospital, the U.S. Coast Guard said Monday.

It said the incident, in which the woman suffered a suspected punctured lung and broken ribs, took place Sunday evening near Big Pine Key, where the victim and a companion were kayaking in shallow water.
The two told rescuers the fish was about 4 feet long and was previously seen skipping across the water. It knocked the woman out of the two-person kayak when it hit her in the chest, the Sun-Sentinel newspaper reported.
She climbed back into the kayak, and her companion, unable to row her to safety, called for help on his mobile phone.

"She had a pretty bad chest wound," the paper quoted one of the rescuers, Capt. Kevin Freestone, owner of TowBoatUS in Big Pine Key and Cudjoe Key and a member of the Volunteer Fire Department in Big Pine Key, as saying. "She was conscious, and she was scared about what had happened to her."

The U.S. Coast Guard station in Marathon launched a vessel, but because of the shallowness of the water it was a small boat deployed by TowBoatUS, which assists vessels in distress, that was able to transport a paramedic to the injured woman and bring her to shore.
A helicopter took her to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, where she was listed as stable, the Coast Guard said.

Officials with the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said they first believed the woman was attacked by a barracuda, but they later said it was a houndfish, which is shaped like a spear.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:27 AM   #1152
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
NY Times

A Kind of Hunt That Even Deer Can Get Behind
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Linky broken - here it is again
Hey, Land Between The Lakes (where this round of the tournament took place) is my stomping grounds! Hunted in there many times since I was a boy.

This deer hunting tournament thing got started out as a non-"catch & release" venture, i.e., you hunt the deer, you shoot the deer, you kill the deer. That didn't go over too well. With anybody, it seems. Too much like a 'killing contest'. It morphed into this incarnation pretty quickly, though.

We literally hunt the hell outta deer, and there's more of them than we can stand to have, so I don't guess this will do any more harm.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #1153
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

An interesting article by Mike Yon.

Some fantastic pics as well. The setting is Nepal.

The Killing.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/ima...g-oct-2010.pdf
Old 10-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #1154
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

The mind boggles.

No Charges for Mom Whose Baby Lost Testicles in Dog Attack

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #1155
Adak
Lecturer

The UK gov't just acknowledged that they had, during the days following the end of WWII, planted some limpet mines and incendiary devices, onto several of the ships transporting Jews to Palestine.

This was done at the request of several mid-eastern oil rich countries, who were blaming the British (who administered the area of Palestine under a UN mandate, at that time) for allowing these Jews to enter their former (prior to their expulsion by the Muslims around 460 A.D.), homeland.

Not entirely unexpected, since the Jewish hard liners in Palestine (Hagonah), were killing British soldiers by that time, with bombs, as well.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote