The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-13-2001, 08:51 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Education reform was one of George Jr's most prominent campaign promises. More examples of an intelligent president at work - from The Economist of 12 May 2001:

""... the Boston bruiser is crushing the life out of the faux Texan preppie. Mr Kennedy, the senior Democrat on the Senate committee that supervises education, has delivered an impressive triple. He has ripped every radical idea out of Mr Bush's education bill. He has changed the focus of the education debate from reform to resources. And he has done all this in the cuddly name of bipartisanship. Mr Kennedy has not done it alone. The education bill has been mauled by the House as well as the Senate, and by some Republican as well as by Democrats. But Mr Kennedy has led the assault so effectively that he is already being treated as the de facto leader of the opposition. ...
Not content with turning a Republican bill into a Democratic one, Mr Kennedy is now accusing the White House of trying to "nickel and dime children's ecuation". Never mind that America spends significantly more per head on education than other advanced countries while producing mediocre results. Never mind Mr Bush plans to increase spending on schools. Let's stop nickel-and-diming children's education.
Why has Mr Bush let himself be outmanoeuvred? Wan't education suppose to be his signature issue? And didn't he get plenty of experience dealing with wily Democrats in Texas?
The simple answer lies in the delicate balance of power in the Senate. It has hardly helped that the Republican chairman of the relevant Senate committee, James Jeffores, is more interested in his pet spending project - handicapped children - than in the general structure of education. Mr Bush is also hampered by the fact that most Republicans are privately uneasy about his willingness to extend the federal government's role in education. ...
... The harsh truth is that most Republican parents are fairly content with their local schools.""

tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 10:39 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
(from the Economist) "The harsh truth is that most Republican parents are fairly content with their local schools."
So for a minute, let's just assume that most of these Republican parents live in the suburbs...or in Phoenix. So, my question is, how much longer will there be contentment? Trouble is spreading to the suburbs...look at where all the troubles have occurred: a suburb of Denver, 2 suburbs of San Diego, and the middle of podunk freakin nowhere--Paducah (Trust me, it IS podunk.). Look at the bomb threats over in the Pottstown schools as well.

Not to mention, let's look at it from an urban sprawl view: Migration is spreading outward to the exoburbs (?). This may cause two potential situations: 1) As people migrate further out, there will be no kids to fill all the schools built during the boom. Or 2) People with lower incomes will be able move to these burbs, property values and income will decrease, and the schools will become not so good.

So it would seem, at least in my opinion, that Bush simply makes all this nice-nice talk about education to try and soothe inner-city folk. Not to mention, some folks are still a bit too worried about Big Brother.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 03:58 AM   #3
jaguar
whig

Unhappy

*LAUGHZ
you think BUSH has any say on policy/anyhtign tha matters *laughz.
as if.

But more to the point, the biggest problem is simply not in schools, its social, the growing ich/poor gap and family breakdown i cite as two of the biggest. Hell im' no supporter of the hwole nuclear family bulllshit(i live in a single parent household) but whats happening is jsut scary, parents have no time for kids, family anyhting, and its mostly coz the fabled idea that were working less hours is BULLSHIT. De-unionisation, and the m\push to squeese more work out of less workers is putting the stress onto familys and marriges. While the corperations responsible still apy near-nothing tax while taking suck a great toll on society
</rant>
Old 05-14-2001, 06:26 AM   #4
serge

Old 05-16-2001, 05:47 PM   #5
tw

Re: More Presidential Leadership

The IISS is a European political think tank whose recent report was reported on Radio Netherlands. The short is that the US and Europe are on a direct collision course over most disagreements as a direct consequence of this new right wing administration. Again, as it is always cited everywhere outside the US - George Jr's. global warming theories are top of the list for a major falling out between the US and Europe. We could be talking trade wars. Also listed is something that myopic, blood thirsty, right wing extremist, "bomb the into the stone age" hawks advocate. A need to conduct all future military campaignes without the approval of or support of any allies. The destruction of so many treaties that built the end of the Cold war was also cited.

Also cited by the report is an incoherent and ill conceived Asia foreign policy. Cited specifically is George Jr's mishandling of both China and N Korea.

We have the right wing extremists we deserve. It will be interesting how far this president can destroy foreign relations before he learns the names of a few world leaders.
Old 05-17-2001, 04:02 AM   #6
jaguar
whig

How true, once again tw you have very nicely outlined the issue, well informed as ever =)

By the time he does learn leaders names, and the basics of forgin policy (don't annoy all your allies, listen to allies, don'tbe such an arragant bastard and think you run the world) america is going to be almost wihtout close allies, good.
Very good.
I cannot wait.
May the EU, Autralia, Japan and other allies take over the pivotal role of the US in a spriit of democracy and fairness, looking forward, not burying thier heads in the sand(global warming).
I have been glad to witnees a few great development in the EU over recent years, the blocking of some GM crops, stronger privicy laws, Koyoto, etcetc while the US ahs sliped further backward....
Old 05-17-2001, 07:04 PM   #7
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
May the EU, Autralia, Japan and other allies take over the pivotal role of the US in a spriit of democracy and fairness, looking forward, not burying thier heads in the sand(global warming).
I have been glad to witnees a few great development in the EU over recent years, the blocking of some GM crops, stronger privicy laws, Koyoto, etcetc while the US ahs sliped further backward....
I don't think anyone will touch the US on power anytime soon. Not the EU, not Australia...and Japan had their chance and they fell flat.

Actually, Australia COULD...if you all bred like rabbits and made more people. ;-) The Germans and Japanese may make better cars, the Finns make a better cell phone, but as a whole, the US probably still outpaces the world in new technology and education.

After all, why would all these people come from all over the world to our universities, only to kick us with our own technology. ;-)
Old 05-17-2001, 07:56 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I think the phrase for the Aussies should be "breed like toads".
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 03:02 AM   #9
tw

Breed like..

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
I think the phrase for the Aussies should be "breed like toads".
And how many breeds has the toad bred. Just asking.
Old 05-18-2001, 03:45 AM   #10
tw

Quote:
Europe's credibility has been far from responsible during the days of Clinton. Its just that Bush is so mediocre that Europe looks better.

While they complain (emotionally rather than logically) about GM foods, lets see:
1) Coke poisons kids in France and Belgium, blames separate European sources for the same poisoning from two different plants, and Europe says - OK, be nice.
2) Milosevik runs rampant murdering people in Slovenia, Coatia and Bosnia while Europe does absolutely nothing.
3) Netherland troops march thousands of refugees into the arms of Serbs, who in turn do exactly what everyone expected - slaughter them. Europe does nothing. Netherlands claims ignorance.
4) After a massive massacre in the streets of Sreven - whatever that town was - live before TV cameras - only then does Clinton decide that July that not one European rulers has any balls. He decides it is time for the US to take charge. Because of Clinton, the Brits (who were crying to do this years ago) and the French rapid reaction force move in to be the (I think this is an exact quote) "worst mother-fucker on the block". Only then did the Bosnia massacre and concentration camps end.
5) Again Clinton / US forsaw all other coming problems and put troops into Albania, Macedonia (despite a self serving, screw everyone else attitude from Greece), and coordinated with (forgot the name) province next to Kosovo. Ironically one of the few European nations with balls to support Clinton, besides Britian, was Turkey and Italy.
6) So incapable is the European military (that still practices cold war training) that the only support Germany could provide was motor transport and bridge building type military. Even Bulgaria and Rumania did more to stop the slaughter in Kosovo than Greece - and the other European NATO allies stayed silent as to their uncooperation - they would not even try to enforce an embargo.
7) Canada has so almost totaly exhausted their military in peacekeeping that most every soldier has already been on at least three separate peacekeeping missions. What has France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc done? Aussies should feel proud in that they may do more for international peace (per capita and per GDP) than France.
8) While demanding that the US stop being an unfair trader, Europe has some of the most government subsidized farming in world. In response, the US subsidizes America famers for exports - only to make European farming exports difficult. This was after Europe reneigned on a deal to drop all agri-subsidies. The trade war has hurt Australia, Argentina, etc. The trade war continued over restricting Central American bananas that are superior to European government approved 'tiny' bananas and banning any American crop that 'might' have GM. Of course hybrid farming is also GM, but that is not feared because the process existed prevously.
9) Europe has no food standard protection authorities. Hoof and Mouth disease was active in India, Korea, and most of the middle east for two years - and Europe did little to protect or even to immunize. Then when hoof and mouth was crossing from Britian into main Europe, they still refused to immunize - until eventually is was even appearing in Germany. As for Mad Cow, only the British government has any science knowledge of the disease since the Brits refused to share information with anyone else - including the US - and then declared the disease solved.

We must give Europe credit. They have a 50 years program necessary to merge so many nations into one. This is not an easy time for a united Europe to address a major crisis since they have so many of their own between so many primadonna leaders. Rather they are doing quite well as so many Europeans countries are actively looking out for and campaigning often in the interest of their neighbors. It is rather a sparkling example of how to cooperate when only 40 and 60 years ago, they were so viciously warring or threatening one another.

But Europe has not been a sparkling example of world leadership. Furthermore, I expect them to be brided into accepting the destruction of cold war disarmament treaties. Some say Germans and Brits are already conceding.
Old 05-18-2001, 11:00 PM   #11
elSicomoro

Comparing Europe and the US is like comparing apples and oranges. In addition to what tw pointed out, my personal opinion is that Europe can politely kiss our asses. Granted, we are a horribly arrogant country. And we have been chided over the World Court, Kyoto, etc. But who is responsible for widespread expansion of slavery before America began? Who held control of most of Africa until the mid-20th century? Where did the World Wars start?

Both sides are guilty of one thing or another, but Europe seems to be getting a US-style attitude that is already irritating to see on this side of the Atlantic. It's bad enough to have one country act like a turd, but for 15 with the power of one to do the same thing is damn near petty.
Old 05-19-2001, 01:03 AM   #12
jaguar
whig

Yes, true TW, there have been alot of stupidities, internal bickering, and beaucrasy, butits still the best example of agroup of countries working togethr on a (fairly) level plain, you must also remember that eastern europe is not part of the EU, and they as much aspossible try to simply shut it, and allits problem off, which is a very stupid solution but....

Sycmore, i was refering to the EU, not jsut 'europe' as in the body formed in the latter half of last centuary (i stil find it odd to say that) not the actions of individual countries before that.

Btw, tw, how the hell are you so well informed about so many issues, you must be one hell of a news junkie =)
Old 05-19-2001, 02:06 AM   #13
elSicomoro

Quote:
Sycmore, i was refering to the EU, not jsut 'europe' as in the body formed in the latter half of last centuary (i stil find it odd to say that) not the actions of individual countries before that.
I understand, but the EU is still composed of those individual nations. Hell, they can't even all agree on the Euro. The EU is becoming highly self-righteous, just like the US. It's sickening...
Old 05-19-2001, 05:23 PM   #14
tw

Quote:
Btw, tw, how the hell are you so well informed about so many issues, you must be one hell of a news junkie =)
I avoid useless fiction. Most library books are useless fiction - why do they waste so much money on so much trash? There is very little useful fiction - where the author first performs years of research before writing. That is what Alex Haley (Airport, Wheels, Roots, etc) did before he wrote. That is what Micheal Crichton (spelling?) of ER, etc did. Ditto for Tom Adams. But well over 90% of fiction is crap written for minds that worship urban legends.

Also I ignored the dingbat and her peers at local news stations such as Channel 6 Action News. They just had a big fire in Bridgeport. Can anyone tell me why it was so out of control or what started it?

I can suggest why it was out of control. No sooner did I enter that building than I was looking for emergency exit signs. It was a fire disaster just waiting to happen. No sprinklers. Wood floors. The only thing safe was brick lined stairways of concrete and steel. So where are the facts from those trash newshypsters? Did they every report any real news? While so many were wasting time watching so much hype, I was learning about another stupid move by our mentally challenged President.

BTW, if it is not obvious - I don't waste time with Time. I read what Time Magazine should have been - The Economist.
Old 05-19-2001, 05:56 PM   #15
tw

Europe really needs to learn from Canada and Australia about world responsibility. BTW, New Zealand is also acting more in a self serving attitude as of late.

Britian sends the meanest Brigade into Sierra Leone when the UN peace keepers looked like they might fold and become prisoners. Norway has been active, although less productive, in addressing world problems. The Netherlands, Turkey, and Italy are very willing to pitch in, but only if inspired by US pressure. France will only contribute when it involves one of their ex-colonies. Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, and Greece do nothing. IOW Europe does have a self-righteous attitude - but most of Europe does not have the right to have that attitude since so few contribute, by action, to solving problems like the British do. In Europe, the British are the only benchmark for how a responsible first world country should accept its responsibilities.

If a suicide bomber had blown up in Belgrade, and Serbs then attacked Bosnia with planes to punish everyone related to that suicide bomber - well Europe would have sat on their heals doing nothing until a Clinton US said "this is unacceptable". Oh.... that is exactly what happened.

We have the exact same situation in the Middle East - where a dichead, like Milosevik, is doing everything he can to create violence (his history is create wars so that he can take oppurtunities - he almost even created WWIII) and encouraging more violence so to justify his expansion of that holocaust. The motherfucker and his silent partners are trying to exterminate the Palestinians. Europe, as usual, just sits on its hands. Now we have a president that endorses that extermination - as long as the Israelis don't create concentrations camps. The dichead is currently testing to see how far he can push before even the mental midget Bush is appauled.

A responsible Europe would rise up in utter dismay at the extermination of Palestinians. An international peacekeeping force is desperately required where dicatorial racist promoters advocate the extermination of their own people. But Europe is still too self-righteous and without the balls to act. They can do that when a mental midget US president says "Don't worry be happy and we will protect you" and while US citizens work more hours every year to protect those Europeans.

Without an intelligent US President, the world will just sit on its hands and let another Rwanda or Kosovo happen. Europe at least should have the balls, responsibility, and ethical backbone to at least say something. Europe remains quiet because Europe only criticizes when it is safe to do so - or when told to by the US.