The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Cloud

Side Hustles

so, good news: market is up.

bad news: I still will never be able to afford to stop working. Like, ever.

and -- everyone needs a side hustle to make extra money. Multiple income streams and all that. I don't want to do dog walking or carpet cleaning or anything like that, but am looking for ideas.

How many of you actually do have a side hustle? Are you thinking of one, and if so, what?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I side-hustled for years as a bartender/waitress. I'm thinking of doing something again. My friend snatched up my consulting job at my old job (maybe since she left after I did she had dibs? Dunno.) But I sure could use some extra money.

I just have no IDEAS. So, great thread.

This summer I thought about checking out a greenhouse/gardening sales place, but I know nothing about plants. I'd be a great physical laborer (planting moving watering) but they probably want someone who actually knows something about plants.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

If you have the stomach for it I always thought that crime scene clean up would be very profitable. Most insurance companies contribute to the cost so you would have to figure out how to negotiate the insurance minefield mess and learn about the appropriate chemicals, bio-hazards, bio-waste rules and regs. But with a little start-up money it could turn a profit and start a long term business that would last forever.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
If you have the stomach for it I always thought that crime scene clean up would be very profitable. Most insurance companies contribute to the cost so you would have to figure out how to negotiate the insurance minefield mess and learn about the appropriate chemicals, bio-hazards, bio-waste rules and regs. But with a little start-up money it could turn a profit and start a long term business that would last forever.
Oooh, did you ever see Sunshine Cleaning? It was about doing that!

Or I was thinking I could be a part-time hooker but really, how much market is there for an ugly and old hooker.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

@Cloud - It's a bit more PC to call it "moonlighting" because
you can use it when talking with business people without scaring them away.

Anyhow, think about your current interests.
Customized calendars for social groups are easy to do now with digital images and all the copy/print shops around.

Almost anything can be a subject for one audience or another.
One of my neighbors hates dogs and has a real thing about poop in his yard.
Each year he wholesales an annual Poop of the Month calendar to shops around here and is pretty well known.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Now I have my CRB (did I mention that?) I'm going to be looking for prison work.
Public facing - ie working in a creche or canteen serving visitors.
They are most busy at weekends and pay well, and we have a nujmber of them in the region. Sadly my local one relies on volunteers. Booooo.

Otherwise it's back to bar work for me too.
Ah - have just reminded me I need to submit my name for census work. Going door to door to remind people to complete their census (legal requirement). That's good money too, if temporary.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Oooh, did you ever see Sunshine Cleaning? It was about doing that!
Yea, it was pretty cool. And I know a dude that started a business just like it in a major city in the midwest. He is making a killing. No pun intended.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Cloud

Passive income is really better than stuff you have to spend a lot of time on. And no, I DO NOT have the stomach for crime scene clean up (shudder).

I do have things I'm thinking about. Like:

--oil and gas investment (since I already have income from this)
--writing non-fiction books. I have some experience putting book proposal together, and this would be something I could do
--legal indexing, legal documents, or something like that, which I'd rather not do (since I work in this field)
--selling either on a dedicated website or through ebay, etc.; either 1) local Tex Mex stuff like boots; cool alternative stuff that I like; body jewelry, or a combination
Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I side-hustled for years as a bartender/waitress. I'm thinking of doing something again. My friend snatched up my consulting job at my old job (maybe since she left after I did she had dibs? Dunno.) But I sure could use some extra money.

I just have no IDEAS. So, great thread.

This summer I thought about checking out a greenhouse/gardening sales place, but I know nothing about plants. I'd be a great physical laborer (planting moving watering) but they probably want someone who actually knows something about plants.
Lowes hires summer help for the Garden Center and no experience needed. I did it, I loved it.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Cloud

would be nice if I could come up with something actually "politically correct" that is, in the areas of education, alternative energy, smart growth, etc. that we are supposed to be focusing our economy on, because there might be grants and other biz opportunities.

I don't think I'm smart enough for that though!

I've been wrestling with this for a while--not only a side hustle, but an actual "retirement career" that would let me do something else other than working in an office for someone else. No answers yet, though.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
would be nice if I could come up with something actually "politically correct" that is, in the areas of education, alternative energy, smart growth, etc. that we are supposed to be focusing our economy on, because there might be grants and other biz opportunities.

I don't think I'm smart enough for that though!

I've been wrestling with this for a while--not only a side hustle, but an actual "retirement career" that would let me do something else other than working in an office for someone else. No answers yet, though.
Don't know if you were responding to my use of the words "politically correct", I would call the areas you mentioned as "current fads" and everyone will be competing for funds, grants, etc.

Instead I have found from personal experience that taking what you are currently doing or enjoy, and moving it slightly off center can actually lead to reasonable and enjoyable second sources of income.
It won't happen overnight without a major input of $, but with a longer outlook, a reasonable retirement income is not out of question.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

Side Hustles sound like some torture/exercise devised by an aerobics instructor.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

What about creating a "coffee-table" book of body art?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Calenders!
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
Lamplighter

Buy gigantic quantities of green and reflective yellow paint, stencils, and aluminum now.
The money will roll in before 2018