The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 01-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #316
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Federal judge rules evolution disclaimer stickers must be removed from Georgia, USA textbooks
U.S. District Judge, Clarence Cooper, ruled today (January 13) that the evolution disclaimer sticker placed in the front cover of some high-school biology textbooks in Cobb County, Georgia, USA, is unconstitutional and violates the so-called “separation between church and state.” As a result of the ruling, the sticker, which includes the following words, must be removed:
Quote:
This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered.
In 2002, Cobb County (near Atlanta) adopted a policy to place disclaimer stickers in the front of high-school biology textbooks that present evolutionary ideas, but caution the readers that evolution is “not a fact, regarding the origin of living things.” That decision by the school district was challenged in U.S. federal court by six parents of Cobb students and the left-leaning American Civil Liberties Union, who argued that the sticker pushes creationism (note, however, that there is no mention of creationism or anything religious in the wording above) and discriminates against non-Christians and followers of a number of other religions.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:46 PM   #317
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
No, and here's why:
Geez, give a guy chronological whiplash why don't you?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:05 AM   #318
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Sorry, TS. I don't check all the threads every day, and sometimes the posts build up on me. Damn dynamic Cellar!!

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #319
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Come on people, how can anything concerning the reason for life be a scientific fact.
On the other hand, how can so many people believe in a story passed through generations. It appears to me, to be an intellectual battle going on. Give it a break, unless you can absolutely prove either theory, why not move on to other things. I watched the inaguaration today. When the President and his wife got out of that limousine, I was really afraid they would be shot. I will starting today try and worry more about what may happen today. Why is it so important to be right, when in your own minds, if your honest, you just believe a theory passed on by another human. Humans are not without flaw. I don't care how smart they are or how smart they think they are. If i could just live in the now.........
Old 01-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #320
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Evolution says nothing about the reason for life. That's a subject for philosophy, not science.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 05:08 AM   #321
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Evolution says nothing about the reason for life. That's a subject for philosophy, not science.
No, it's not about the reason for life, it's about origin of life.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #322
Brown Thrasher

It seems God does not exist; Because if one of two contraries be infinite, the other would be destroyed. However, the name God means infinite goodness. If therfore he did exist there would be no evil. There is evil in the world.

Larry King, CNN was very interesting on 1/31/05 when evolution and other issues related to evolution and religion were discussed.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #323
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
It seems God does not exist; Because if one of two contraries be infinite, the other would be destroyed. However, the name God means infinite goodness. If therfore he did exist there would be no evil. There is evil in the world.
This makes no sense. Two infinites can exist at the same time. To visualize this graphically, think of a standard pie chart showing multiple slices. Now remove the outer edge of the pie chart and expand that outer edge to infinity. You still have the same number of slices, and each one is infinite in size.

You can have an infinite number of infinities.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #324
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
This makes no sense.
Am I the only person to notice the correlation of 'Brown Thrasher' with 'Shit Stirrer'?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #325
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Nope!

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 02-03-2005, 11:46 AM   #326
Brown Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Am I the only person to notice the correlation of 'Brown Thrasher' with 'Shit Stirrer'?
Am I the only person to noticce the correlation of "Troubleshooter" with an egotistical know it all.....

Stirrer of shit.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #327
garnet

Quote:
Oh I get it...the names sorta mean the same thing. Interesting to find out if that was intentional, or what his name really means.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:58 PM   #328
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I thought it was some sort of small bird, kind of like a warbler, only faster.

Guess I was wrong.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #329
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
Am I the only person to noticce the correlation of "Troubleshooter" with an egotistical know it all.....

Stirrer of shit.
I picked my presence marker pretty carefully. I may not live up to the definitions of it, but, like yours, it seems to fit.

trou·ble·shoot·er also trou·ble-shoot·er Audio pronunciation of "troubleshooter" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trbl-shtr)
n.

1. A worker whose job is to locate and eliminate sources of trouble, as in mechanical operations.
2. A mediator skilled in settling disputes especially of a diplomatic, political, or industrial nature.

Main Entry: mediator
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: negotiator
Synonyms: advocate, arbiter, arbitrator, broker, conciliator, fixer, go-between, interagent, interceder, intermediary, intermediator, judge, medium, middleman, moderator, negotiator, peacemaker, ref, referee, rent-a-judge, troubleshooter, umpire
Old 02-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #330
Brown Thrasher

Cool

Quote:
I picked my presence marker pretty carefully. I may not live up to the definitions of it, but, like yours, it seems to fit.

trou·ble·shoot·er also trou·ble-shoot·er Audio pronunciation of "troubleshooter" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trbl-shtr)
n.

1. A worker whose job is to locate and eliminate sources of trouble, as in mechanical operations.
2. A mediator skilled in settling disputes especially of a diplomatic, political, or industrial nature.

Main Entry: mediator
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: negotiator
Synonyms: advocate, arbiter, arbitrator, broker, conciliator, fixer, go-between, interagent, interceder, intermediary, intermediator, judge, medium, middleman, moderator, negotiator, peacemaker, ref, referee, rent-a-judge, troubleshooter, umpire
Exactly whar are you mediationg? I think we can do away with the peacemaker. I find it odd, when one makes deragatory names for other adults.
We are not in grammer school. This does not appear to be a mechanical problem that needs eliminating. I respect your views. However, I find it quite cumbersome at times. If your honor has time, I would like to kmow what you meant by my presence marker fitting me.
Main Entry: shit-stirrer
Definition: one who stirs shit
I want go into the synonyms, for I am sure you will be happy to do the research..........