The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-02-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 2, 2010: High Dining

Most people are aware they are building the Freedom Tower, to replace the World Trade Center towers, in New York. At 105 floors, it's a tall building that takes a shitload of people to build. About a half hour before lunch, people start looking around furtively for the boss, trying to figure if they can beat the crowd trying to get down the elevators for lunch. Some even have to climb down steel and ladders just to get to the elevators.

Uh Boss, there's something wrong with this drill, I'm taking it down to the tool shack... pitter patter pitter patter...be back after lunch.
For god's sake, that's the third drill this week, what the hell is going on?

The contractors aren't stupid, know this is costing time and money.

Richard Schragger, who owns the Freedom Tower Subway franchise, is building Subway restaurants/sub shops in shipping containers that will move up the building at it's built. Location, location, location.

Quote:
"This amenity will save time by allowing construction workers to stay in the tower throughout their shift rather than having to go all the way up and down," said Candace McAdams, spokeswoman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the agency that owns the World Trade Center site.
A full Subway menu will be served, including the trademark $5 foot-long hero.
Richard Schragger, who owns the Freedom Tower franchise, said he'll also offer extras no other Subway has: hot dogs, hamburgers and New York's famed pretzels.
Like other franchises of the Milford, Conn.-based company, this one will bake its own bread daily
link
Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
glatt

That's a really smart idea.

I wonder about the facilities. This sort of thing is regulated very strictly in any major city. If the plumbing doesn't work, the place gets shut down by the health department. Do they run special plumbing lines to this shipping container? I've read that the plumbing in skyscrapers is tricky because the water pressure at the bottom of a 600 foot tall pipe gets tremendous enough to burst the pipe. You can't just run a garden hose up to this shipping container.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
jujuwwhite
Capnhowdy's #1 smasher

I bet that is the only subway where the job application includes the question...ARE YOU AFRAID OF HEIGHTS?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Or, 'Do you possess the ability to fly?'

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
SPUCK
Professor

Do they have to use special high-altitude roaches up there?
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote