FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

From the NY Times of 9 Feb 2007:
Quote:
Price of Next Big Thing in Physics: $6.7 Billion
The proposed machine, physicists say, is needed to complement to the Large Hadron Collider now under construction at the European Center for Nuclear Research, CERN, outside Geneva. That machine will be the world’s most powerful when it goes into operation this fall, eventually colliding beams of protons with 7 trillion electron volts of energy apiece. Physicists hope that using it they will detect a long-sought particle known as the Higgs boson, which is thought to endow all the other constituents of nature with mass. They hope, too, to discover new laws and forms of matter.

But protons are bags of smaller particles called quarks and gluons, and their collisions tend to be messy and wasteful. Because electrons and positrons have no innards, their collisions are cleaner, so they can be used to create and study with precision whatever new particles are found at CERN.
Notice where science does not promote the advancement of mankind. Not in the US and for good reason.
Quote:
At a news conference in Beijing an international consortium of physicists released the first detailed design of what they believe will be the Next Big Thing in physics: a machine 20 miles long that will slam together electrons and their evil-twin opposites, positrons, to produce fireballs of energy recreating conditions when the universe was only a trillionth of a second old. ...

The International Linear Collider collaboration, led by a steering group chaired by Shin-ichi Kurokawa, of Japan’s High Energy Accelerator Research Organization, or KEK, consists of 1,000 scientists and engineers from 100 countries.
Big price? Well the International Space Station was only supposed to cost $8 billion and has already cost on the order of $80 billion. ISS still does no science but is promoted by an MBA president. $6.7 billion for actually doing science research? By comparison, that price is a discount. Meanwhile George Jr will send a man to Mars only to promote his legacy at hundreds of $billions - screw science. To do so, George Jr is stripping the 10% of NASA's budget that acutally does science.

Whereas the transistor was the future for baby boomers, quantum physics is the future of this latest generation. But thanks to a mental midget and a dictatorship party of extremists, science is being driven from the United States.

How can you tell where science is fleeing to? Even in a science once dominated by Americans, advance physics must be done elsewhere. The fusion reactor (ITER) will probably be in Europe. CERN (France and Switzerland) will soon have a working Large Hadron Collider. And now an International Linear Collider is publicly proposed where? With so much fear and dictators advocating Fatherland security, then international science conferences remain outside America. Even when defining the next generation WiFi (now known as 802.11n), at the last minute American 'we fear' security banned most of the Chinese experts as a threat to national security. The message is clear to science. Clearly those Chinese were going to steal secrets of DisneyWorld.

Quantum physics moves to where peope instead want to advance mankind. This is where new jobs will be created. But science is too complex for brown shirts - so dumb as to not even ask simple questions such as, "When do we go after bin Laden". Quantum physics? Instead god will give it to us? And so science and the new jobs must go elsewhere. Another tribute to the MBA president and those brown shirts who blindly support him. This is what happens when some actually thing Fox is News or Rush 'tells it like it is'.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
snip~ How can you tell where science is fleeing to? Even in a science once dominated by Americans, advance physics must be done elsewhere. The fusion reactor (ITER) will probably be in Europe. CERN (France and Switzerland) will soon have a working Large Hadron Collider. And now an International Linear Collider is publicly proposed where? ~snip
So what? The findings that come out of these research projects will be published quickly. That's how these researchers get their woody, by being published and recognized by their peers. They don't expect the general public to understand, no less appreciate, what they discover.

Like many things the transistor was invented here. Hooray for us. But who made the most money and provided the most jobs from it? Sushi anyone?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Like many things the transistor was invented here. Hooray for us. But who made the most money and provided the most jobs from it? Sushi anyone?
Because the transistor was invented here, also came most electronics jobs in ... America. For example, who made and mass produced the first semiconductor switch - ESS1? AT&T. Where was it first installed? Succasunna NJ. What made it possible? The transistor was developed in NJ. These switches were/are so massive - created so many jobs - that very few companies existed in the world to manufacturer them. AT&T, Siemens, Northern Telecom, Alcatel (?), and ... I forget the fifth ... Stromberg?

Also created was a massive electronics industry on Long Island that later moved to Silicon Valley, Texas, etc. Why did AT&T begin losing market share? Well, in part because they were only interested in telephony. Also in part because their chief innovator, Jack Morton, stifled development of the Integrated Circuit. So who got all the IC jobs? Where were all digital ICs and standard architectures for those ICs developed? CMOS ICs that is now standard in all computers were pioneered and manufacturered just down Route 22 in RCA, Somerville NJ. Just down the road from where the transistor was invented.

In the US, basic research resulted in whole new and massive industries. Jobs and wealth created because the transistor was invented here. So successful as a result that even a European inventor of the transistor (who was six months late) had to come to America to continue his innovations (which I believe then resulted in the early LEDs – again more American jobs).

When basic research goes elsewhere, well, who is the world leader in robots? Who is the world leader in automotive power systems? In each case, they do the basic research - therefore jobs and wealth follow.

So where do the jobs for quantum physics get created? Not in nations that spurn innovation?

Meanwhile America even graduates fewer innovators making America an importer of engineers - just like oil. That is the attitude of this administration that has also cut back significantly on basic research for life sciences. Either you go be an MBA, or go overseas to innovate.

But don't worry. Be happy. We were number one! That cheer is not heard in football stadiums.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Also created was a massive electronics industry on Long Island that later moved to Silicon Valley, Texas, etc.
And then it all went to Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, China, etc. Seems they did quite well on our inventions, why couldn't we do well on theirs?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:50 AM   #5
Ibby
erika

Quote:
And then it all went to Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, China, etc. Seems they did quite well on our inventions, why couldn't we do well on theirs?
Hey, don't diss the Taiwanese electronics industry - without it, how would I get my motherboard sent to the factory, fixed/replaced, and returned in a week?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
tw

Quote:
Yes as globalization does. They now make all the diodes, varistors, transistors, capacitors, and other commodities that have low profit and minimal technology. Meanwhile, when transistors were high tech, those jobs were created adjacent to where basic research discovered that technology.

Same applies to quantum physics. Where innovation occurs is where best jobs will appear. Of course, America can wait for those products to become commodities. Then we too will eventually have those jobs. That is what xoxoxoBruce is saying.

Who has best jobs making microprocessors? Same location where hafnium, strained silicon, and 45 nm transistors were implemented due to basic research. Best jobs created adjacent to the innovation. So where are all those profitable Taiwan microprocessors?

Bruce do you really believe they can do the research and we will then have the jobs? That is exactly what my MBA friends were telling me in the 1970s (even quoting from a magazine for MBAs called CEO). They waited for others to create new products - and then would clone those innovations. Therefore, their companies no longer exist. MBAs believe innovation costs too much. You are advocating the same mentality that destroyed their jobs.

The future lies in quantum physics. Where must such basic research go? It is leaving the US because somehow MBAs will instead create all the new jobs. That is the bottom line of what xoxoxoBruce has posted.

We exported the auto industry why? Because American innovation sat stifled for 20 years. We exported the tire industry because American tire manufaturers stifled the radial tire for 30 years. These are the lessons of history. Jobs (and new markets, wealth, strength, etc) go to where innovation occurs.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It seems the Oriental/South Asia industry was successful because they didn't stifle, but jumped on to new technology (regardless of patents and intellectual property rights?) quickly. Are you saying this is no longer possible or we can't compete in that type of market?

As an outsider to the whole electronics thing, what I saw was "we" spent a whole lot of time and money coming up with all this electronic gear only to have it vacate the US and make a bunch of money for others. But that's just a one consumer's perception. I'm sure there's much more to it... the inside poop, if you will.

I don't know, that's why I asked.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

On a side note, I notice a lot of people using Junkscience.com as a reference. I appreciate contrary views, so I am glad sites like this exist. I did notice one interesting thing. The site had a few links debating whether global warming should be taught in schools, I couldn't find any discussion of Creationism.

I haven't looked through all of the archives, but I would like to believe that they took a stand on the issue.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote