The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #16
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Thanks, bbro. I covered the insulin resistance and glycemic index topics in posts #3 & #12 above.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:50 AM   #17
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot serpent
Thanks, bbro. I covered the insulin resistance and glycemic index topics in posts #3 & #12 above.
Sorry, I missed that while reading the posts my bad
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #18
Pie
Gone and done

I've been eating a low-GI diet for 6 months now, and taking Glucophage 500 XR for the last four. I walk at least 10,000 steps a day just about every day (I've missed 9 days in the last six months, first due to tendonitis in my achilles' tendon, then a really nasty bout of food poisoning).
So far, I've dropped about 30 pounds, and my fasting glucose has come from ~125 mg/dl to ~105 mg/dl.
YMMV, but mine's been pretty good! (60,000 steps per pound? 24 miles per pound?)
Old 07-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #19
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

I was diagnosed Type 2 just over 12 months ago, on my birthday in fact.

I had changed doctors and had a routine 'new patient' blood test and the GP telephoned to wish me 'Happy Birthday' and 'Guess what you've got' Our family is also riddled with it, my dad lost a leg to diabetes and his brother lost his sight. Oooer. It serves to make me highly motivated to take care of my diabetes and myself, and I am much more fit now than a year ago.

I seem to find that 'balance' is my watchword. No extremes or deprivations of any kind and it seems to work at present.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #20
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Diabetes runs in my (birth) family. My grandfather lost a leg from it and my mother has to take insulin shots 6 times a day.

During my first pregnancy (long before I had located my birth family), I developed gestational diabetes. My Dr. told me that about 50% of the pregnant women who have gestational diabetes develop it later on in life and to watch myself. My second pregnancy, the gestational diabetes was worse but I was still able to control it with diet and exercise. I went to a lab once a week to have my fasting sugar checked. However, during my last pregnancy (gave birth 13 months ago), the diabetes was so severe that I had to check my own glucose 4 times a day and self inject insulin once a day before dinner. In an effort to keep the level of insulin I had to inject down as well as the number of injections I had to give myself every day, I really clamped down on my diet. Very few carbs (and whole grains when I did eat them), lots of veggies, protein and water, and I looked at the sugar/carb content of every single thing I put in my mouth (sodium as well, since I had toxemia). The diabetes clinician wanted my morning sugar to be under 110, but that was a real struggle. The good news is that I only gained 30 lbs with this last pregnancy, whereas the weight gain for both prior ones was over 70 lbs each.

Obviously, my body is becoming less and less able to process glucose. I am keeping a close eye on the symptoms and have begun to notice a few worrisome ones, such as numbness in the tips of my toes and excessive thirst. However, whenever I check my glucose, it is within normal levels (less than 130 at any given time). I guess I'll just keep on keeping on...for now.

Stormie
Old 08-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #21
mercy
Fellow-Commoner

Diabeties now affects even the kids, some times the new born.......seee how tragic it is....
mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #22
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Everybody's got a cause

An update on the little girl with diabetes that I mentioned earlier in this thread (post #11): she is now four years old, and her doctor has deemed her ready to try the "insulin pump" program in just another few months. Hopefully this will reduce the number of needle pricks she gets in a given day from around 8, down to 4-5.

At any rate, we have put together a team for the annual Walk To Cure Diabetes through the JDRF. They're a worthwhile charity, with over 80% of donated funds going directly to type I diabetes research.

On October 14th I will be walking at the Dell Diamond in Austin (and the mini-Fob will be doing his share too, albeit from the confines of a stroller), and any support you can donate would be appreciated. The team website created by her mother is here. Of course all donations are tax-deductible.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote