The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Really? Down here everyone knows the difference between a bee and a wasp. Bees make kids squeal and parents launch into the "leave it alone and it will leave you alone" speech.

Wasps make everyone leap up, gather their most treasured possessions, say a hail Mary, and toss a Molotov cocktail over their shoulder as they run screaming for the hills.

That picture makes me nauseous. Wasps are evil incarnate.
yeah, I suspected it was regional. here they call everything a bee and then run like shit because you can't kill it -won't you please think of the apple crops- but it's gonna sting you to hell and back if you stay......

@ UT
Old 08-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I may be the only person in the whole who doesn't mind wasps.
Okay, exaggeration (please please let me be special and unique! please)

But the first time I was stung I was in bed and didn't know about it until the morning when the big fat wasp fell out of my bed. It was nowhere near as bad as an ant bite. I've never worried about being stung since.

I'm not saying I'd sleep in that bed though. I'm crazy, not stupid.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #19
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I think of wasps as those longer things with hangy-downy legs, when they fly. They can sting over and over. A bee stings you, it be dead. I've been stung by many a bee but I've never been stung by a wasp. And they build nests around here. Knock on wood.

I looked up wasp images in google images, and I had to go to 'mud dauber' to find the pic of what I'm talking about. I guess what I think of as wasps are those. They build those flute-like nests. Or some woodwind instrument. That creeps me out the most, and there are tons of them around here. Things with holes creep me out. I found out from an article in Scientific American Mind (the only magazine I buy off rack) that's actually a 'thing'...like holey ceiling tiles and stuff...can't stand that. http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...raid-of-holes/
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #20
monster

That thing looks ready to run in the Special Olympics.

(am I going to hell now?)
Old 08-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #21
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

If 'special' means 'making me laugh' then yes, yes you are going to hell.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:50 AM   #22
Pamela
Deplorable

I hate those mud daubers. I had one bild a nest right on the shaft of the heater blower in my camper and I didn't know it until the winter got cold enough to freeze the water pipes and drop the power lines, thus rendering my house unliveable. I retreated to my camper, flipped on the heat and zap, fuse blown. I replaced the fuse and promptly blew it again. Several hours of exploration and some salty language later, I got the heater unit out and disassembled enough to find said mud nest jamming the motor. I was not happy, but did get the unit going again once I reassembled it and got it back into it's home. Little bastards!
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #23
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Firefighters rescue couple after hornets nest fell through ceiling

Firefighters say they launched rescue after a large nest containing more than one hundred hornets crashed through the ceiling

Quote:
A couple were forced to escape through their bedroom window after a nest of giant hornets crashed through their ceiling.

The householders barricaded themselves behind a makeshift shelter as the angry swarm of yellow-and-black striped hornets invaded their home. Firefighters who went to their rescue said a large nest containing more than one hundred hornets had crashed through the ceiling.

"The weight of the nest in the attic caused it to crash through the ceiling into the hallway of the house in Maidenhead," said a Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman.

"Scores of hornets were released into the house and the couple locked themselves in their bedroom and called the fire service. The Slough crew arrived at around 11.30pm and helped the pair escape down a ladder from the bedroom window.

"A pest control company was due to visit the home today, and the couple are staying with friends. The weight of the nest brought it through the property's second-floor ceiling, filling the upstairs with angry hornets and trapping the pair in their bedroom. Firefighters used a ladder to rescue the couple from their room."
Daily Telegraph.

I've only ever knowingly seen a Hornet on a couple of occasions.

A few years ago I was looking after some horses and was checking over a brood mare for lumps, bumps, cuts etc, when I noticed a hornet under her belly.

In those circumstances they often attempt to rid themselves of the offender by bringing up a hind hoof to kick it away. Alternatively, they'll make a run for it and flatten you in the process.

Now, I'm not the most athletic of blokes, but being tall and on the thin side it does enable me to remove myself from the scene PDQ. Accordingly I put considerable distance between me and the mare in an impressively short space of time.

There is no point in becoming older if you don't become any wiser.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #24
monster

Whorenets. For catching slappers.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #25
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

The bald faced hornet is the one I ain't fucken with. I'll slap a wasp or a dauber out of the air, and cut it in half with scissors, then mount its head on a toothpick to ward off his kin.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #26
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Gee, you would think the Daily Telegraph would have said how the hornets got into the bedroom.
BTW, Dr. Schmidt is looking for volunteer sting raters:
http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectac...x-which-sting/
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #27
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
'mud dauber'
Around these parts they's called 'dirt dobbers'.

And, for some reason they're fond of weed-whacker mufflers...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #28
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Co2
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #29
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Around these parts they's called 'dirt dobbers'.

And, for some reason they're fond of weed-whacker mufflers...
that sounds soooo rude
Old 09-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
Gee, you would think the Daily Telegraph would have said how the hornets got into the bedroom.
Quote:
The nest was discovered by a woman at her house in St Cross, in an unused spare room, where a small window had been left open.