Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #3361
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
It was beautiful, really. Who knew me avoiding the gun threads to express my latest observation on the subject while shielding myself from a cruel attack would result in an actual conversation?

I guess it's hard to transport a huge arsenal from thread to thread.

Now i must venture out into huge snow drifts, hit the bank, the grocery, and get some books to stick my nose in. If only i had a fireplace i would be uber content.
You're going OUT in this mess?

Darling, do check in. We worry. We worry.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #3362
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Yes, don't disappear beneath the drifts ... outside it is Robert Frost beautiful; our woods are filling up with snow. But OUT I am not going ... staying in and making butter tarts (see other thread).
Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #3363
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

must have recipe for butter tarts....
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #3364
orthodoc

Well ... here's a basic version. Be careful; in the wrong hands it can be dangerous. In the right hands it can be even more dangerous, leading to matrimony and all sorts of complications.

More advanced versions involve maple syrup, rum or brandy, and puff pastry and can only be contemplated by adepts in the art.

Basic Beginner's Butter Tarts (BBB Tarts)

Soak raisins in boiling water to plump; drain.
Line tart tins (muffin or mini-tart tins) with pastry of your choice.

Stir 1/4 cup melted butter into 1/2 cup of light brown sugar. Add 1 cup Crown corn syrup (this is a Canadian brand that is golden in color; neither light nor dark, like the Karo brands. If you can find golden corn syrup locally, get that), 2 eggs, 1 Tbsp vanilla, and 1 Tbsp lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.

Place several raisins in each lined tart shell and fill 2/3 full with corn syrup mixture.

Bake at 375 F for approximately 20 minutes (less in a convection oven).

The corn syrup mixture can be doubled and kept in the fridge for a few days to use as needed during holiday season, to provide fresh tarts when company arrives.

NOTE: Only raisins may be used if this is to be called a butter tart. No pecans allowed!!
NOTE 2: The perfect butter tart filling should be neither solid nor completely runny. It should be slightly chewy, with a tendency to run - but not like water.
NOTE 3: As noted above, variations include the use of different pastries, maple syrup instead of or along with corn syrup, and soaking the raisins in rum or brandy. The raisins are non-negotiable. If you can't stand raisins, use nothing at all and just enjoy the chewy, smooth, buttery texture of the filling by itself.
NOTE 4: This recipe will self-destruct in 5 days ... after which CSIS will seek me out and force me to clean the RCMP stables for divulging state secrets ... so use it wisely. Use it well. Above all, do not use pecans in it.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #3365
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Oh, sorry. I've been home for hours. Reading and i took a nap. My car does great on the snow...little tiny car better than big giant truck, from what i could see. But i also know how to drive. Some woman was hanging out in the middle of the road in a busy intersection while some guy drove her car to get it unstuck. She was still all swervy and driving badly, and her car was another vw model so i would think it has the same safety features. She turned onto the ramp to the interstate and i hoped those were at least a little more clear than the roads in town. Many places are closed today...or were getting ready to close.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #3366
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Well ... here's a basic version. Be careful; in the wrong hands it can be dangerous. In the right hands it can be even more dangerous, leading to matrimony and all sorts of complications.

More advanced versions involve maple syrup, rum or brandy, and puff pastry and can only be contemplated by adepts in the art.

Basic Beginner's Butter Tarts (BBB Tarts)

Soak raisins in boiling water to plump; drain.
Line tart tins (muffin or mini-tart tins) with pastry of your choice.

Stir 1/4 cup melted butter into 1/2 cup of light brown sugar. Add 1 cup Crown corn syrup (this is a Canadian brand that is golden in color; neither light nor dark, like the Karo brands. If you can find golden corn syrup locally, get that), 2 eggs, 1 Tbsp vanilla, and 1 Tbsp lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.

Place several raisins in each lined tart shell and fill 2/3 full with corn syrup mixture.

Bake at 375 F for approximately 20 minutes (less in a convection oven).

The corn syrup mixture can be doubled and kept in the fridge for a few days to use as needed during holiday season, to provide fresh tarts when company arrives.

NOTE: Only raisins may be used if this is to be called a butter tart. No pecans allowed!!
NOTE 2: The perfect butter tart filling should be neither solid nor completely runny. It should be slightly chewy, with a tendency to run - but not like water.
NOTE 3: As noted above, variations include the use of different pastries, maple syrup instead of or along with corn syrup, and soaking the raisins in rum or brandy. The raisins are non-negotiable. If you can't stand raisins, use nothing at all and just enjoy the chewy, smooth, buttery texture of the filling by itself.
NOTE 4: This recipe will self-destruct in 5 days ... after which CSIS will seek me out and force me to clean the RCMP stables for divulging state secrets ... so use it wisely. Use it well. Above all, do not use pecans in it.

thanks!

so...the 'no pecans for raisins' is pretty definite then, huh?

—James Barrie

Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #3367
orthodoc

Yep. It's a Canadian thing.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #3368
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Yep. It's a Canadian thing.
So let me get this straight: You Canadians would rather eat artificially plumped up raisins rather than pecans? Is this a part of your national identity, a show of stoicism or are you just punishing yourselves for putting a Maple leaf on your flag?

—James Barrie

Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #3369
orthodoc

Nice plump, juicy raisins ... hey, it's a northern country. Dried fruit, we use it, what can I say? We have lots of maple trees (and maple syrup, yum), but no pecan trees, sweetie.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #3370
infinite monkey

I will never borrow movies from the library again. I procrastinate way too much, and overdue fees are 2 bucks a day. I'm too embarrassed to tell you what I just wrote a check for...ok, it was 52 bucks. I had some books in there too, but they're only a quarter a day. I can't be trusted. Time just gets away from me. I'll stick with my 3 and five dollar movie purchases...I can put those in my ever-growing movie collection, and I've seen some doozies lately.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #3371
monster
I hear them call the tide

Don't they have online renewal? Next time, check the cost of replacement -sometimes it's just cheaper to tell them you lost it (only if they waive late fees when you pay to replace a lost item, obv.)
Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #3372
infinite monkey

I know, and the same person who keeps forgetting to drop them off also forgets to renew online.

I have no place in normal society.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #3373
Griff
still says videotape

I prefer to think of over-due books as my little way of helping finance my public library. I feel good about giving instead of feeling bad about being a procrastinator.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #3374
infinite monkey

I usually do too, and our library can use the funds...but that one hurt! I swore to the 'brarian i will not check out any more movies.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #3375
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I know, and the same person who keeps forgetting to drop them off also forgets to renew online.

I have no place in normal society.
I have the same problems. Although I have a library card, I never use it cause I can't be trusted to return the books.

Tags
dum, oh the whorror