The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 PM   #61
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
Arrrgh! I'd get hit that.

Where's the "enter" key? Shouldn't an HP calculator watch use RPN?
The site says the calculations were algebraic rather than RPN. That "21" function key was for dates in the 21st century though...does that make up for having no "enter"?

When I was working an operating system conversion project for DASD Corp (later Cap Gemini DASD) in 1978, one of the senior consultants had an HP-01. I was green with envy. Pure conspicuous consumption.

I consoled myself that it was not useful for working on storage dumps because it did not have a hexadecimal mode.

For that I used one of these:

(see: http://www.datamath.org/Sci/MAJESTIC/Programmer.htm )

Or in earlier days...

It was possible to get along wiithout either using the tables on a
green card ...more recent examples of which were neither green, nor were they cards.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #62
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
Well, I bopped over to Sears and ended up with one of these
not bad looking. i can;t do the metal band thing, tho. they tear all the hair out of my wrist. i just get a $20 analog watch with indiglo, a leather band, and a date window. s'all i need. it's usually under my shirt sleeve anyway. they last a year or so, then i crack em and they get water in 'em......maybe someday i'll get a fancy one for dressing up , but it's not a priority.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #63
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
they tear all the hair out of my wrist.
I have a Speidel twistoflex band I've been moving from watch to watch for 20 years. It's the only metal band I've found that won't rip the hair out.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:14 AM   #64
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Palm Watch

Here is a copy of Alice in Wonderland displayed on my FX2008. Thanks for recommending it, Maggie.
Attached Images

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #65
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Thanks for recommending it, Maggie.
My pleasure...no effort is too great to help reinforce the Geek Imperative:

"What do you mean, 'Why?'? Because we can!"

Old 01-18-2006, 02:38 AM   #66
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Here is a copy of Alice in Wonderland displayed on my FX2008.
Did you download that as a doc file, or did you hook up with the free classic books online channel from AvantGo?

(which is where I got my copy of Alice on my T|X, which is why I mention it. AvantGo rocks majorly.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:05 AM   #67
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
AvantGo rocks majorly.)
I gave up on AvantGo when it looked like they were starting to either charge for feeds, or do some other mindless marketing move to "monetize" the service.

These days for that sort of thing I use JPluck (distiller) and Plucker (viewer). JPluck (or his non-Java Perl friends) will convert web pages (or parts of or complete sites), text files (such as one might find at Project Gutenberg) or even RSS feeds to the (very compressed) Plucker viewer document format. And you don't need AvantGo to bless it.

A word of caution: JPlucker doesn't do well on very long or complex HTML files sometimes, and may silently truncate them. If you're doing something like all of "Stranger in a Strange Land", check the last line to make sure thes did not happen.

There's also a collection of pre-Plucked public domain works at http://dave.pluckerbooks.com