The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-10-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Imajica by Clive Barker: June 2004 Book of the Month Discussion

Finally, I just got my book today. It looks as thick as a good dictionary, but then I got both volumes combined. (5 bucks plus about 2 or 3 for shipping at half.com).

I dig Clive Barker's work. I've read Weaveworld, and The Hellbound Heart. This last one is what the Hellraiser movie was based on.

I'm a fan of Hellraiser up to about the third movie. The Hellraiser comics are hit or miss, but they are good for any fan. I even have a lament configuration puzzle box (plastic), but its fallen apart on me and needs re-glueing. If I had room, I would put it in a spot somewhere under a glass dome. I wouldn't want someone to accidentally 'play' with it.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:46 AM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I actually read this back about 9 years ago. When Mrs. Dallas was in the hospital after our daughter was born, I ended up getting "Everville" at the hospital gift soft and read a couple other Clive Barkers.

But I don't remember it at all... soo.... I need to dig in.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:15 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I read Weaveworld a year or two ago. I wasn't terribly impressed as I recall.

I've started on Imajica, which I'm declaring to be "neat so far," with just enough of a hint of how the world is constructed to keep me going.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:18 PM   #4
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Imajica is real good! It feels very well thought out. This is not a 'shallow' book!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:45 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've made it about halfway. I'm not certain that my interest is actually waning, or if I'm just suffering aftereffects of reaction to something Judith has done.

I'm digging the secret society stuff, though, on a couple of different levels. Let me know when I can be specific rather than vague about such things.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 06-16-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
York
Operations Operative

It is just as much as other well known books ( films ) a great fantasy....butt sometimes u just loose intrest...well i did. That caracters are stuck in a place to long, or that i really have to figure out who' s who again.... but that could be because off my wasted short-memory! Another good one : Nightsummer by Dan Simmons
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:57 PM   #7
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Originally posted by wolf
Quote:
Let me know when I can be specific rather than vague about such things.
Previously, it was resolved that we could speak about specific things at the descretion of the poster.

I'm in big touble w/r to this book. I was able to get Ghost Soldiers on audio cassette and could listen to it in the car back and forth to work. I read Only Forward while on vacation. But now, no audio for Imajica, back at work and with a 3 and 4 yo to help look after, I'm only on page 10. And I don't see any relief in sight. This is bumming me out considerably.

But, I don't see any reason to hold off on the discussion for us slackers - we'll just have to tread carefully. I thought the **Spoiler Alert** warning at the beginning of a post was helpful in the Soldiers thread.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:03 PM   #8
York
Operations Operative

Cool

i didnt gave anything away bro!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:19 PM   #9
be-bop
Operations Operative

Imajica by clive Barker

Been into Barker's work for years Imajica is one of his best along with The Great and Secret Show.
The guy can spin a tale..
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:41 PM   #10
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Its almost the end of the month, and I am very surprised that I finished reading this monster so quickly.

The characters were very well though out, and their relationships interconnect in so many ways its amazing. Looking at the book as someone who aspires to write, I am baffled at how Clive Barker put it all together so well. (and, I just read it took 14 months of 14 hour work days- seven days a week- to write the whole book)

Clive Barker talks about Imajica:
http://www.clivebarker.dial.pipex.co...icabarker.html

***Spoilers***

Nisi Nirvana...
Okay, so the Imajica is a circle, and Nisi Nirvana is through a door under the first dominion that leads into the circle - which is where all the dead are supposed to go, and they finally stop being wandering ghosts when that door is opened. Am I understanding this right?

The five dominions felt a bit claustrophobic to me in that they seemed too small. Each is supposed to be a whole universe, but each fells like just one planet.

Hapexamendios was going to destroy the dominions soon after the reconciliation. Was there a reason given for this, or is it just a given that this is what insane gods like to do?

Barker has Hapex go out and destroy or capture all female goddesses. It seems gods are either male or female, and it is a significant part of what they are. But it is interesting that there is a third gender in the Imajica. The mystifs are male/female/both/neither. Why not a third gender or genderless god? Actually thinking it over, Hapexamendios would have probably just killed or captured that kind of god too. It also seems odd that people can worship one of many goddesses, or worship the one and only male god. Where are all the other male gods, did Hapex absorb them all into himself?
That seems to make sense because when Gentle seens Hapex's true form, it is made of bits and pieces of many 'people' patched together.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm interesting in seeing where it's going, but haven't decided if I'm interested enough to read part II ... Part I did read a lot faster than I had expected, though, but started getting tedious as our intrepid not-quite-heroes slogged their way through the dominions, attempting to define the undefined and having strange and amazing powers that should not be within their ken ... I've developed a minor theory, which I don't whether it will be bourne out, regarding some kind of fracture or rift of time and dimension, leading to bits of the person and personality of at least two of the characters becoming scattered and replicated across dimensions.

I tend to be wrong about this kind of thing, of course.

The description of improbabl creature after improbable creature was getting pretty old.

Clive, just put down the mushrooms and step back, man ...

Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 AM   #12
York
Operations Operative

euh, i guess Imagica here is the same book as in other country's? I have only one book, but its big! Altough its a good fantasy-book, i dont believe Mr Barker was writing for 14 hrs a day every day! Writers can tell what they want, but writing something for 14 months at 14 hrs a day....? No way! But never the less , it is a good book , if its the same one....But ive read better ones aswell...
Old 06-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

I think the 14 hours a day applies to all the work that goes into writing a book - writing, rewriting, editing, proofreading. Oh, and he wrote it by hand, not typed.

Wolf, I found the middle to be the slowest part, the book picks up speed again after Pie and Gentle finish their wandering around the dominions.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:37 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Oh, and he wrote it by hand, not typed.

Christ, and I can barely write out a grocery list without my hand cramping... Guess I'm not cut out to be an esoteric fantasy writer.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #15
York
Operations Operative

maybe u write too fast than.....write it correct from the first time , but very slow...and in a year we might see ur roman! hahaha