The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What was the first "R"/18-restricted movie you saw?

My momma was thankfully not shy about taking her 13-year-old kid to see movies rated R. The first one was "Three Days of the Condor", a very excellent Redford CIA thinker/thriller.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Hmmm... True Grit was my first mature movie but that was probably PG. I have no idea.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Hmm.... I can't even remember. It was probably something on HBO, unless you're asking about in the theater. I've never been into splatter-fests or dumb teenage comedies so it's possible my first "R" was quite late--I just never paid much attention to the ratings. I'm actually more into movies now than I was growing up.

Edit: It may have been The Blue Lagoon on HBO. Of course I had to check it out when my parents weren't noticing, but it was fine since, because it was HBO, any given movie was on 8 or 9 times a week. Needless to say I was watching it for one and only one reason, and I remember thinking that the movie was very tiresome and hardly worth the effort to see the advertised nudity. (And now I find out, when I went to check that it really was R rated at IMDB, that it wasn't even Brooke, but a body double.)

Last edited by SteveDallas; 03-02-2006 at 08:35 AM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
jinx
Come on, cat.

I think it was Flashdance.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
glatt

My brother and I tricked our parents into letting us go with some friends to see Porky's in the theater. We told them it was some kind of kids movie. We laughed like crazy at all the dirty jokes/scenes, but didn't actually understand half of them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

A Clockwork Orange. My brother got me in with some of his friends.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
FallenFairy
nope

The Exorcist
.... at a drive-in with my best friend and her older sister and sister's BF - we were supposed to see Disney's Robin Hood... but the older kids took us to another drive-in then locked us out of the car so they could make out....we were 9 yrs old.....which could explain a few things about me......
Old 03-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Night of the Demons. I was 9 years old. I know for sure because I saw it at a friend's slumber party and was thinking the whole time how much trouble I'd be in if my parents knew I was watching this. It was totally disturbing. Not just blood; lots of weird dismemberment and nudity.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

double feature at the drive in. Animal House and Cheech and Chong's next Movie. i think i was 8 or 9 or maybe 10
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I think it was either a Bruce Lee film, can't remember which one, just some woman lifting her sweater to show Bruce how she was burned on the chest with an incense stick. Of course she was braless and had gravity defying boobs, nevertheless even at 12 or 13 I thought it was a contrived scene.

Possibly Tora, tora, tora could have been first. I'm not sure. Dad and I would go to NYC on saturday and he'd do some work in his office and after we'd go to the movies and duck into the first one that (he thought) was appealing. It didn't matter if it had started an hour earlier, we'd just figure out what was going on and stay for the first part of the next showing. You used to be able to do that. Some folks spent all day in the movies.

Anyway, we'd get to the part where we came ina dn dad would say let's go.

We'd go out and hit nathans or orange julius or something.

It's weird, as I'm becoming a dad myself, I see myself doing the same sorts of things with inchley.

A few years yet before the R movies however.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
double feature at the drive in. Animal House and Cheech and Chong's next Movie. i think i was 8 or 9 or maybe 10
Animal house? 8 or 9? How old are you LJ?

You must have been older than 8 or 9 if you were driving.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

The "Blood Trilogy" on Halloween at the Cactus Drive-In. Technically they were unrated, but they should've been rated R, back in the early '70s, anyway. I was 7 years old, and the only one of the three I can remember is 2,000 Maniacs. The oldest kid in the neighborhood took a bunch of us younger kids in his muscle car. I'm sure he must have told all the parents that we were just going to see some "fun Halloweed movies," or something like that, because they wouldn't have let any of us go if they knew more than that!

My first actually rated R movie was Friday the 13th, I think.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #13
keryx
Mrs. Fargon

The first movie I remember is "The Man Who Would Be King" 1975, I was 6, and although it was only rated PG, some scenes from that movie disturb me to this day. The first R rated movie I remember seeing in the theater was "Dog Day Afternoon," which came out the same year. All I really remember is that Al PAcino was in it, and the bank robbery bit. My dad has always been a movie fanatic, and I guess when he couldn't get a babysitter he would just take me along to the movies. Thankfully, this has not warped me, much.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:32 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am having a heck of a time with this one. I know that I saw rated R movies well before I was 16, but I'll be darned if I can remember what any of them were, off hand. Can anyone point me to a list of movie releases by year that might help me figure this out?

(A lot of the movies that I am coming up with having seen before age 16 are mostly PG ... Goodbye Girl, The Sting, American Grafitti, Planet of the Apes, Jaws, The Towering Inferno, etc. Do the ones of these I saw before I was 12 count?)

I did see a double feature of Billy the Kid vs. Dracula and The Deserter for my 9th birthday ... There's a pretty gruesome flaying in The Deserter and other grimmy things.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 03-03-2006 at 12:46 AM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:27 AM   #15
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

I was so heavily supervised and indoctrinated that there was no opportunity while I was in high school, not even on the sly. There may have been some in our college Humanities film series, but at a Methodist college in North Carolina back in 1963 they probably only showed "approved" material. Cleopatra and Ben Hur don't count as R-rated, do they? Just violence, no nudity or sexual situations, just sticking swords into people instead of something warmer. So the first R-rated film I remember seeing was A Man And A Woman, the old French classic. It was supposed to be so daring, but I actually found it boring. I saw it again on TV a few years ago and I still think it's a boring movie. I guess by the time I ever saw many R-rated movies I was already old enough to be doing the stuff that got them the rating.