The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

January 25, 2007: Old tank found, pulled out of the muck

Some IotDs are just mysteries. Lurker Caleb (thanks!) sends along a series at this page with an .sk domain. The following shots are taken from there, and presented here without comment. If anyone can help solve the question of what the hell happened here, either via the Slovokian (?) words or from futher knowledge of the event, do comment on it.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Well, at first blush, I'd say it was a German tank driven into a bog during WWII, and it was preserved by the anaerobic nature of bogs. But then I get to looking at the turret, and notice there's not lid to the crew port, and what appears to be faded graffiti written on the rest of the turret. Now I'm just wondering if it wasn't some monument somewhere that got prank dumped into the bog...
Old 01-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

A bit of an "odd" one

One of the mailing lists I'm on explained it somewhere

It seems up there on the northern front, during WWII, the Germans captured a Russian tank. They painted their markings on it, and put it to use. The next battlem the tank ended up breaking through the ice, and sinking in the swamp. Last year, they recovered the tank, which was preserved (as Esplode guessed) by a lack of oxygen

So you have a bit of an odd one - a RUSSIAN tank, with German markings, being pulled out of a bog
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1739643/posts
Old 01-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Ah. Best part of the story:

At that time, a local boy walking by the lake Kurtna Matasjarv noticed tank tracks leading into the lake, but not coming out anywhere. For two months he saw air bubbles emerging from the lake. This gave him reason to believe that there must be an armored vehicle at the lakes bottom. A few years ago, he told the story to the leader of the local war history club Otsing. Together with other club members, Mr Igor Shedunov initiated diving expeditions to the bottom of the lake about a year ago. At the depth of 7 metres they discovered the tank resting under a 3-metre layer of peat.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
glatt

No mention of human remains found in the tank. You would think that if the tank was preserved that well, the human remains would have been as well. Maybe they were able to get out before it sank.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I believe the tank was ditched in the lake during the German retreat, nobody aboard ..... or no body aboard.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

I think its neat that a commonly available civilian dozer is powerful enough to pull that tank out.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
glatt

One of the freaky things about me is that when I look at a situation, I often look for the danger in that situation. For example, it drives me nuts when my wife puts things on the steps to take upstairs later as that's a tripping hazard.

Anyway, here I keep thinking about the cables and the tremendous tension they are under. They are obviously thick and strong enough for the task, but I can't help remembering the stories my Dad told me about how a cable will always whip around when it snaps, and can easily decapitate a person, but when a chain breaks, it just falls to the ground with no force. I bet those cables could cut through some of those smaller trees if they snapped, there is so much force in them. [/freak]
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Yah, I took some guff for pulling an old barn together with binders and chain, when all the self-appointed experts were pushing for cable. They were not going to be the ones increasing the tension once a week...
Old 01-26-2007, 12:01 AM   #11
hampor
Colloquialist

Allow me to be the first to say

Tanks for the memories.
hampor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampor View Post
Tanks for the memories.
Punny! :p
Old 01-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
magilla
Belt Conveyor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34

Chris
magilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Mmmmmmmmmmmm... Its the Friday IotD! I say we saute that sucker in garlic butte... heyyyyyyyyy - Wait a sec - I can't eat that! There's gotta be a way to work this into a tasty morsel thread.

Mebbe we can scrape some tasty nematoads...

Ohhh I got it! Lets build a huge fire and roast the entire tank then, after it cools, we can go inside and eat whatever was living in it! Ahhh. Better now.

Last edited by Beestie; 01-26-2007 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Can't spell nematoad :-(
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Mebbe we can scrape some tasty nemotodes...
Doug can help find a nematoad:

Last edited by Shawnee123; 09-25-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote