The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #91
rkzenrage

Individuals should not be the main issue. Every individual could reduce our carbon footprint to 0 and made exactly that impact.
Industry puts 99.999% of the greenhouse gasses into the environment. That is where the attack HAS to begin & where the radical change must be made to start.
Al Gore, a hypocrite that owns a mine, giant non-green mansions and flies around in a private jet, is just selling guilt and nothing else. There is no logic to it.
It is not "liberal", against progress (quite the opposite), or against your nation to feel that industry must be responsible for their trash.
Even if you do not believe that this has to do with Global Warming, it is what is the right thing to do and is the first step in moving toward eliminating needless pollution and removing our dependence on foreign oil and eventually on oil and coal as a fuel source.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 03-08-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #92
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
given that we're all experiencing weird weather

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13023&page=3

and other strange phenomena, isnt it about time America signed up to the treaty and big industries took action, to set an example to the public to do their part?

do you do your part?
No. Not until all parties, including so called "emerging economies" like China and India have to install and implement the same protections they expect of me. Those are two of the most polluted nasy smokey countries I have ever visited. When the Chinese and Indians insall multi-million dollar scrubbers on all their power plants and factories we may consider involvement, till then screw em.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #93
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Individuals should not be the main issue. Every individual could reduce our carbon footprint to 0 and made exactly that impact.
Industry puts 99.999% of the greenhouse gasses into the environment. That is where the attack HAS to begin & where the radical change must be made to start.
Al Gore, a hypocrite that owns a mine, giant non-green mansions and flies around in a private jet, is just selling guilt and nothing else. There is no logic to it.
It is not "liberal", against progress (quite the opposite), or against your nation to feel that industry must be responsible for their trash.
Even if you do not believe that this has to do with Global Warming, it is what is the right thing to do and is the first step in moving toward eliminating needless pollution and removing our dependence on foreign oil and eventually on oil and coal as a fuel source.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #94
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
till then screw em.
Who is the "em" you are referring to there? Everybody?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #95
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Who is the "em" you are referring to there? Everybody?
Everybody else who thinks we should sign. It obviously can't be everybody in general. :p
Old 03-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #96
Happy Monkey

Unfortunately, it is.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #97
TheMercenary

Quote:
Unfortunately, it is.
You think "everybody" thinks we should sign??? Obviously that is not true to we already would have...
Old 03-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #98
Happy Monkey

No, everybody gets screwed.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #99
TheMercenary

Quote:
No, everybody gets screwed.
If "everybody" gets screwed it will not be because the US failed to sign the treaty. I promise you that. No matter how hard people want to believe that all the ills of the world are our fault.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #100
Griff
still says videotape

Merc, you may appreciate this old thread.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #101
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
No. Not until all parties, including so called "emerging economies" like China and India have to install and implement the same protections they expect of me. Those are two of the most polluted nasy smokey countries I have ever visited. When the Chinese and Indians insall multi-million dollar scrubbers on all their power plants and factories we may consider involvement, till then screw em.

thats exactly the "we dont give a shit cuz we're allright" attitude that made me want ask the question in the first place, because while i agree about China and India, America is just as big a polluter and wastes more energy than countries who havent even got it to waste.

nobody so far has said whether they "do their part", by recycling paper, cardboard, glass, plastic etc.

i also agree that big polluting industries need to take the reins and set an example to the public, and even thought the treaty may seem to be a farce to some people, it has to be the first step to international concern and co-operation.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #102
Happy Monkey

Quote:
If "everybody" gets screwed it will not be because the US failed to sign the treaty. I promise you that. No matter how hard people want to believe that all the ills of the world are our fault.
But the stuff we do is the stuff we can do something about.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #103
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
thats exactly the "we dont give a shit cuz we're allright" attitude that made me want ask the question in the first place, because while i agree about China and India, America is just as big a polluter and wastes more energy than countries who havent even got it to waste.

nobody so far has said whether they "do their part", by recycling paper, cardboard, glass, plastic etc.

i also agree that big polluting industries need to take the reins and set an example to the public, and even thought the treaty may seem to be a farce to some people, it has to be the first step to international concern and co-operation.
Bottom line is this. The developing economies like India and China would like nothing more than to see our country sign on to kyoto and sit back and watch as we further outsource and spend billions nation wide to meet the double standards they will never have to meet or spend money on to achieve ANY level of CO emissions that we will have to do. When the playing field is level I would agree to it. But I am not going to sit back and watch people point fingers at us as they expand and build thier economies on our back as we further spin down the toilet economically and as a nation. So yea, screw them.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #104
TheMercenary

Quote:
But the stuff we do is the stuff we can do something about.
To what end and at what cost. Say over the next 50 years we make this the cleanest place in the world, cutting say 50% of emissions. And the world still continues to slide toward and on the same path as the developing nations would so like to see us go, down. As thier output increases and doubles or triples. What was gained? Our destruction? How about this, we cut off all overseas payments of monetary aid to all developing nations so we can pay to clean up our house. I would agree to that. Cut off the money we send to the UN as well.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #105
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
So yea, screw them.
This is the type of attitude that makes everyone hate America. Instead of working to find something we can both do and compromise we just say fuck them. This is why they want to see us fall, not because we are on top.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote