The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Bean, a dog 1994-2005

My first dog and fine friend is gone.

Bean was the best dog I could have hoped for as a first dog. He was bold, beautiful, funny and happy.

My ex Sharon and I got Bean after looking for a dog for a year. First we went to the Philadelphia Dog Show and looked at and met various dog breeds. We were both totally inspired by the Boston Terrier. The breed seemed to have the personality and needs that matched what we wanted. We talked to breeders for several months and finally drove to Chambersburg to see a litter of young puppies. Bean stood out immediately.

He was also missing an ear. It turned out that his mom bit it off. Bostons are generally born C-section, and coming off the anesthesia, Bean's mom didn't understand that the puppies milling about were hers. Bean got in the way, and lost an ear for it.

But he never lost that bold personality.

And he was cute as hell.

And funny.

Bean's first obsession was chasing the ball. He was nuts for it, and would demand a session every day.

Even in the deep winter.

(continues in next post)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

We kept his toys above the fireplace. He learned to jump up there, knock the fireplace tools until they clanged, and then look at you -- to say, hey, do me a favor and throw me that toy would you? We got tired of this and move the toys elsewhere, but for his entire life he would still stand up by the fireplace to signal play time.

After playing ball he would be exhausted.

He would find the highest place on the sofa possible.

We called it his "throne".

He was irresistable. Everybody loved Bean. Even though he was bold, he was also polite, and begged by simply sitting by your side and looking at you until you gave him your crumbs.

(continues in next post)
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Halfway through his life, Pearl arrived. They got along as well as possible even though she became the "boss".

But even though she sometimes made his life harder, it seemed, he would pine for her when she wasn't there, and they got along as well as two dogs will, never ever fighting.

In the summer they would lie together on the deck, sunning themselves endlessly. What a life.

And always an ambassador for his breed. My friend Joe came to visit, and when he returned home he decided he wanted, then finally got, a Boston Terrier.

And then of course he got older, and put more white on his face, and his outdoor sessions got shorter.

And by his last month, he had eye problems and couldn't see anything beyond about ten feet. He had arthritis in his leg, a bad back. And then he had a seizure. It turned out he had an inoperable brain tumor.

He went on anti-seizure medicine, but he was half the dog he had been, after that. It was a great favor to me. For his last two weeks he lost some awareness. His world got smaller for a while. But it gave me one last chance to call his name and have him come, one last chance to chase that ball.

Two days ago he had a set of seizures. If you've ever seen a dog have a seizure, it's horrible. After he had multiples the vet decided to put him under for 12 hours. This is an attempt to "reset" the brain a little. But when Bean came to, yesterday morning, he had a heart failure, and then couldn't breathe normally, and couldn't get enough oxygen to his brain. I gave the call to put him down.

I will never forget you, my first boy, my friend.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Your dogs used to crack me up when I came over. I'm very sorry for your loss, UT.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

for what it's worth, I'm sorry for your loss. sounds like he was a great dog.. and that's saying something.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I am moved to tears. That was a beautiful tribute, UT.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm sorry UT. Bean was an awesome little guy, full of spunk, and all the best things that bostons are. Big dogs in little dog bodies.

My thoughts are with you and Pearl. Give her an extra hug tonight.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
glatt

Bean sounds like he was a great dog. Sorry, UT.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

hey, bummer, Tony. just remember: all dogs go to heaven.

sorry, man.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #10
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Losing a cherished pet is never easy. You have my condolences.
This was sent to me after our little cat Princess was run down by a hay mower. It never fails to choke me up a little.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent
This was sent to me after our little cat Princess was run down by a hay mower.
Damn, Silent...that's awful!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #12
loudfan
Kinda New Member

Seeing all those pictures of Bean and reading your tribute made me cry. Even though I only met him a few times, he changed my life forever, since if it hadn't been for Bean, Joe & I wouldn't have adopted our own precious dog from Boston Terrier Rescue in San Francisco. I just thought Bean was the most adorable dog ever and wanted one of my own! It's hard to believe he's gone... however, I'm sure he had the best life a dog could ever hope for.
loudfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #13
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
Damn, Silent...that's awful!
It probably wasn't too bad for her. Heard a loud noise, got down low and ....

The hard part was trying to find the parts of her to bury them.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:17 PM   #14
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

My condolences. Pets are harder to lose than people because of their constant unconditional love. Looks like Bean had a great life while he was here.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:19 PM   #15
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

UT - Sorry for your loss. It is always very hard to lose a cherished pet...but he will always be in your thoughts..

We had a cat that had seizures. It is the most unbelievable story. This cat belonged to someone my husband knew from work. Well it seemed the cat had seizures and the guy didn't know what to do. He tried to blame it on the cat food but the cat food company said that in order to prove it he would have to ship the cat to them so they could do an autopsy. He wasn't going to do that so he kept the cat for a couple more days until the seizures got out of hand. I guess the guy thought the cat died so (get this) he put the cat in one of those big black garbage bags and put it in the dumpster. A while later he heard it meowing and got it out. Still not knowing what to do with it. Well my DH and I talked it over and decided to take the cat in (we had to others at the time). We had the vet come and put the cat on phenobarbitol and the cat was fine for many years.

Can you believe that story! (I swear its true)