The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-18-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Will the last left-winger to leave the Party, please switch off the light...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8005581.stm

I knew this was coming. Most of us who know Alice, knew she was intending to resign from the party. But it is still surprising to see it there on the screen. As those of you who've been following my brief foray into formal party politics are no doubt aware, I have lost all love of my party. The dream is broken, along with a wheelie bin full of promises. The party has de-coupled itself from the movement that gave it purpose and vision. What's left is politically vacant and morally bankrupt.

This is the Yorkshire Post's coverage of her resignation.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...its.5182941.jp

She talks about a candidate who was viciously smeared in the press and then deselected by the party's machine. That's my friend. A good friend. It has been the final straw for me also. I am treading water until I can make a graceful exit that doesnt damage the current MP and doesn't open up my current council seat to the BNP (nationalist party). That means timing it right, so that the bye-election for my seat falls near enough to the general, or another local election, that it could be piggy-backed onto.

I've been thinking this for a while. I may have had the occasional rant in chat about it... *smiles*

Anyway. It tells a tale, and a telling one, that Alice Mahon has turned away from the Labour Party. Bit by bit, the good ones are driven away. She's an amazing woman. I have huge affection and respect for her. And she throws a killer Christmas party:P Bit by bit ... the colour drains from the Party. Bit by bit, it's losing its soul.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Is it because when the party counts potential voters, there's more of type "them" than there is of type "you" ?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
DanaC

Well. Initially, the 'modernisation' agenda within the party was supposed to make us electable. And some could say it worked. We did after all, get elected to government. Thing is, a hamster in a gimp suit could have beaten the Tories in '97. Labour didn't win, the Conservatives lost.

The basic idea was that the working-classes and trade unionists were our natural constituency, and they'll stick with us out of loyalty. In the mean time we change our focus to bring on board the centre ground voters. Most of what Labour has been up to for the last decade has been courting the middle class voters: so called Middle England. Supposedly this meant we added them to our core. I'm not sure how much patience the party elect think their 'natural constituency' have for treachery, but the Party has severed many of its formal links with the trades union movement, thereby reassuring their middle-class voters and antagonising the fuck out of their original supporters. Theyve engaged in policy making that Thatcher wouldn't have dared to broach for fear she'd have been going too far to the right. They have consistently shat upon public sector workers and farmed out the few bits of public owned services left after the Thatcher years to private enterprise. So, they've lost that other stalwart wing of the party, the public sector workers.

Theyve taken 12 years to get serious about equal pay. They're threatening punitive action against the unemployed, just as the need for economic security is paramount in people's minds. They've been so busy making sure they don't upset the economically strong, they forgot their historic mission for the economically vulnerable. Warning after warning. Row after row. Rebellion after rebellion and wave upon wve of lost members. Unions withdrawing their subs and support. Backbenchers delivering stark warnings from their members. When Brown came in, there was at least a flurry of hope that this might bring the party some way back to its heartland. We were wrong. That realisation has hit and support is dropping from the party in crucial areas, places which have previously been the centre of the party's strength.

We haven't brought enough of the middle-class to us to balance out the losses in our traditional consituency. Why the party leadership cannot see this is something of a mystery. But much of it is to do with what amounts to thirty years and more of vicious internecine warfare at every level of the party.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
But much of it is to do with what amounts to thirty years and more of vicious internecine warfare at every level of the party.
I believe our country is at the forefront of the same situation.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
In July 2002 she read extracts from James Kirkup's poem The Love That Dares To Speak Its Name in a public challenge to the blasphemy law in Trafalgar Square.
Wow. The lady sure has some guts.

The Love That Dares to Speak It's Name has been banned in the UK since 1976.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
DanaC

The last couple of years have been interesting. I still think there are far more hard working politicians than people realise. But the last year in particular has killed off any enthusiasm I had for party politics. Getting to see the workings of the machine has convinced me it is fundamentally broken.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:25 AM   #7
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Wow. The lady sure has some guts.

The Love That Dares to Speak It's Name has been banned in the UK since 1976.
She certainly has. I remember she intimidated the hell out of me the first year I knew her. She is the real McCoy. A serious and clever woman. I always felt a little fraudulent and inadequate around her :P I am quite fond of her now. She was very supportive during my own troubles with the party.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Well. Initially, the 'modernisation' agenda within the party was supposed to make us electable. And some could say it worked. We did after all, get elected to government. Thing is, a hamster in a gimp suit could have beaten the Tories in '97. Labour didn't win, the Conservatives lost.

The basic idea was that the working-classes and trade unionists were our natural constituency, and they'll stick with us out of loyalty. In the mean time we change our focus to bring on board the centre ground voters. Most of what Labour has been up to for the last decade has been courting the middle class voters: so called Middle England. Supposedly this meant we added them to our core. I'm not sure how much patience the party elect think their 'natural constituency' have for treachery, but the Party has severed many of its formal links with the trades union movement, thereby reassuring their middle-class voters and antagonising the fuck out of their original supporters. Theyve engaged in policy making that Thatcher wouldn't have dared to broach for fear she'd have been going too far to the right. They have consistently shat upon public sector workers and farmed out the few bits of public owned services left after the Thatcher years to private enterprise. So, they've lost that other stalwart wing of the party, the public sector workers.

Theyve taken 12 years to get serious about equal pay. They're threatening punitive action against the unemployed, just as the need for economic security is paramount in people's minds. They've been so busy making sure they don't upset the economically strong, they forgot their historic mission for the economically vulnerable. Warning after warning. Row after row. Rebellion after rebellion and wave upon wve of lost members. Unions withdrawing their subs and support. Backbenchers delivering stark warnings from their members. When Brown came in, there was at least a flurry of hope that this might bring the party some way back to its heartland. We were wrong. That realisation has hit and support is dropping from the party in crucial areas, places which have previously been the centre of the party's strength.

We haven't brought enough of the middle-class to us to balance out the losses in our traditional consituency. Why the party leadership cannot see this is something of a mystery. But much of it is to do with what amounts to thirty years and more of vicious internecine warfare at every level of the party.
Damn Dana that is too bad.

About all the public sector stuff being given to free enterprise, I believe that is one of the places where we are severely broken in this country. I am really hoping this economic crisis puts it into perspective for our politicians. It probably won't, but one can hope. *heavy sigh*
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote