The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-17-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
Tomas Rueda
Master of the Domain

Has this ever happened to you?

I don't know about you all. But, have you ever been daydreaming one cozy afternoon, staring at who knows what and, all of the sudden, you feel as if you were inside of a frame that we call body?

you know what I'm speaking of. Times when your inner self feels like moving outside of the body, glimspe at him/her self and then return to the body?

I you are still confused, talk to one of the following:
>me
>myself
>I
>the dude who wrote this
>the person who edited this thread
>the man who created this thread
>the boy who came up with the silly idea of writting this.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It's called an "out of body experience."

You can get to a point where you can do it on purpose, if you work at it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
marichiko

I'm a firm believer in the out of mind experience myself.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:49 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

*struggle*

must resist clear opening ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Back where I'm from, we call it "smoking weed".
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:49 AM   #6
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
*struggle*

must resist clear opening ...
*giggle* I was egging you on, girl!

Last edited by marichiko; 09-19-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:04 PM   #7
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_says
Back where I'm from, we call it "smoking weed".
Actually, there are a lot of completely legal herbs that will also induce an out-of-body experience, or similar dream-state. Personally, I have had success inducing dream states with leaves from damiana (turnera aphrodisiaca), both as an aqueous infusion and smoked, with lion's tail (leonotus leonurus) smoked, and with morning glory (ipomoea violacea) seeds run through a coffee grinder, soaked in distilled water, and the seeds and water consumed. All 3 are more of a sedated, "stoned" feeling, with lion's tail and damiana being a lot like pot, and morning glory being more of a mind-stone than a body-stone (no feelings of heaviness, just mental quietness, rather like psilocybin mushrooms but without significant hallucinations). I've also tried dried mexican sage (salvia divinorum), reputed to be amongst the strongest of legal highs, but with no effect. This was very disappointing to me, as I was expecting a visionary experience and ended up with nothing. Two of the last legal highs left on my list are the fly agaric mushroom (amanita muscaria) and, believe it or not, tobacco (nioctiana tabacum), which, when uncured, is apparently much, much stronger and will induce visionary states. I like to use these different drugs (Yes, these are drugs, and they need to be approached with caution) as meditative aids, because a lot of life's major problems are, in my experience, issues of perception, and there's nothing like being totally out of your head to give you a different vantage point on what troubles you.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
marichiko

There was a thread on the topic of psycho-tropic plants which you can read here: http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5983

(Amazing! I both remembered it and found the thread, am I getting better or not? F--K those neurologists with their bleak prognosis!)
Old 09-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #9
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Tom....Hey stay off the scooby snacks. Just start with the writings of Quintus Tullius Cicero. Wanting to get out of your skin for a minute is natural to everyone and has been written about since the dawn of man/woman kind! If you do the enhancers you may not come back!! One day it's dandelion tea....then it's pot...excessive drinking.....might lead to heroin.....etc. etc. Dare to keep kids inside their bodies. haha. And If I find you digging up my garden I WILL take out the blow darts. Marichiko usually has a beautiful garden it seems....hmmmm.....green thumb Mari?
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:06 PM   #10
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Thanks for the pointer, but I think my post has a different purpose than that thread would allow for...the thread was on out of body experiences (I must be tired...I just typed auto-body experiences...."Man, we tripped our faces off on putty. Tim just stared at the orbital sander for hours"). I have tried a number of techniques for inducing OOBEs and/or lucid dreams (I believe that the two experiences are very, very heavily related), and have had the most consistent success using small doses of various psychoactive plants.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 09-19-2004, 04:28 PM   #11
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippant
Marichiko usually has a beautiful garden it seems....hmmmm.....green thumb Mari?
Thanks for pulling my cover, Flip. You'll pay for that one!
And Alpha, did you know Tomas is only 15 or 16? Do you really want to be responsible if he uses the information in your post to have an out of body experience in study hall and ends up getting expelled? Food for thought.

M.A.R.I.C.H.I.K.O.: Mechanical Artificial Repair and Infiltration Construct/Humanoid Intended for Killing and Observation

Last edited by marichiko; 09-19-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:55 AM   #12
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Information is not to be held responsible for the way it is used. I am simply conveying my experiences with an interesting (and perfectly legal) hobby. In the interest of not being a dick, though, I must point anyone whose interest has been piqued to The Vaults of Erowid, so that you can inform yourself, make an intelligent decision as to whether to use these drugs or not, and use them safely if you decide to do so.

Before I get raped to death I also want to add that, as a generality, I don't think 16 years old is an appropriate age of consent for drug use, especially psychedelics. These drugs aren't, generally, fun drugs in the sense that pot and alcohol are. They are not social drugs and there is no guarantee that you will have a good time. I've personally experienced a number of jerky perception shifts and what felt like absolute loss of self while on psychedelics and, while I feel I am better for it in the long run, it can be a very frightening and dangerous experience. The best answer is to inform yourself when dealing with the heavy responsibility of drug use.

---Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by alphageek31337; 09-20-2004 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:58 AM   #13
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
I'm a firm believer in the out of mind experience myself.
That happens to me nearly every day at work.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:30 AM   #14
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Out-of-body experiences have been theorized to have much to do with an area of the brain known as the angular gyrus. In tests, they can stimulate nerves in this area and subjects will report that they feel like they've left their body and have floated up to the ceiling. Supposedly, this small cluster of neurons is what "centers you in yourself".

I think this section of the brain also has something to do with a really interesting disease known as Cotard's Syndrome. Along with feeling outside of yourself, you can also feel that your grasp of reality and "frame of reference" are so far off that you believe you are dead or no longer exist.

Freaky.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:58 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I've had some of that sort of thing with anxiety illness. Sufferers call it "depersonalization". Anxiety can cause every single symptom you can think of...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote