The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-16-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
marichiko

Question Poster's: one; Lurker's: one hundred

I was just glancing over the various thread stats, and I noticed that for every written response there are roughly 100 views. That means an awful lot of people must just sign on and read the discussions without adding any comment of their own. I'm not complaining about this, mind you. The Cellar would not be the friendly (sort of), intimate place it is now if there were 500 replies to a thread instead of five.

Still, I'm curious. Granted, everyone who posts here is witty, literate, and intelligent - not to mention a talented writer. No doubt, merely reading the threads is an experience in itself. Still, it seems to me people would be better off going and checking out War and Peace from the public library if they feel like just reading something.

I can't imagine just reading the various threads without jumping in and giving my two cents worth. Maybe I'm just an attention junkie, maybe I'm so deluded that I think I have something worthwhile to say. I don't know. But why would people just lurk? Any thoughts? Lurkers feel free to delurk for a moment with your replies.

Last edited by marichiko; 09-16-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:56 PM   #2
redsonia
Wet Nurse's Aide

I'm usually reading this at work and don't have time to write a post. (Bad, bad employee!) Also, I'm kind of shy about this whole thing, this being the first forum I've ever joined. Third, some of you guys can be kind of mean.
redsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:04 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Third, some of you guys can be kind of mean.
Nonsense, the guys are never mean. The chicks are mean.
Quote:
Still, it seems to me people would be better off going and checking out War and Peace from the public library if they feel like just reading something.
Boring.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:54 PM   #4
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsonia
I'm usually reading this at work and don't have time to write a post. (Bad, bad employee!) Also, I'm kind of shy about this whole thing, this being the first forum I've ever joined. Third, some of you guys can be kind of mean.
Oh, it's all just good, clean fun. Insult each other, question your opponent's character or lack there of, a good natured stab in the eye or two. What the hell? You can't take it too seriously and, actually, if you stick around, people usually kiss and make up or at least agree to agree to hate each other. Anyhow, welcome aboard!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:37 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And were never mean to people that have really cool dogs.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ok, ok,........and cats.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:00 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:07 PM   #7
marichiko

You are one cool cat, Bruce!
Old 09-17-2004, 07:46 AM   #8
Ernestine
Basset Hound

Ooooo the sweet doggies and kitties! Yum yum, kiss kiss, cuddle, hug, get licked, get scratched.

See? I don't understand the mind of the lurker either. I not only can't resist adding my two cents worth of informed opinion, I can't even resist saying stupid, pointless stuff like that.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

i was a LONG time lurker before posting (like, even before LJ joined) and i learned that 'me too' posts don't add anything of value. i also learned that everyone here is very accepting of differeing opinions if they are backed up with valid arguments and actual facts (or at least reputable sources) and generally enjoys a good debate. a lot of the time i feel a certain way, but can't adequately describe it (or spell it) or don't have the time to back it up with sufficient facts to convince the wiser members i'm not just talking out my ass (since i only have the net at work). i check out the cellar at least twice a day--tho a lot less lately since LJ hasn't been around...miss that windbag, i do How is he doing, Jinx??
Old 09-17-2004, 08:48 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
a lot of the time i feel a certain way, but can't adequately describe it (or spell it) or don't have the time to back it up with sufficient facts to convince the wiser members i'm not just talking out my ass (since i only have the net at work).
That's not a problem just post it as an opinion or as a question like, do you think that the sky really is blue? And spelling isn't that important as long as it can be easily deciphered, even though a few people will whine. Screw 'em.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:58 AM   #11
Tomas Rueda
Master of the Domain

I to be different in some aspects, but I started replying (and posting new threads) the second I appeared on the stage.

(voice of an 81-year-old.) Ah, Those good ol' days.
  • but seriously, In real life, I was a lurker. Elementary and middle school were spent just for the sake of completing a school year. It was not until the 8th grade that I noticed I was wasting my time (I was a - scholastic, academic, and pessimistic nerd) Now, I'm in the 11th (already) and I still have:
  • no idea what my major is
  • No idea what do I even like
  • NO licence (nor driver's ed)
  • Not officially dated anyone (female, of course)
  • Not officially worked in any jobs
  • Etc, etc, (and yes, Etc.)

I'm living the great life, though
Old 09-24-2004, 12:13 PM   #12
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Rueda
  • no idea what my major is
  • No idea what do I even like
I'm 27 and I don't have those answers either. Don't feel too bad about it.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:50 PM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
~snip~
tho a lot less lately since LJ hasn't been around...miss that windbag, i do How is he doing, Jinx??
doing fine, LR. doing fine. new job is a hoot, although about 7 times as intense as Family was. sometimes at the end of the night when i have to lock up, i have time to lurk a bit, but during the day, there's just no way. we just sold a car to a guy that works with xoxoxoxbruce. i miss you all too.....even the annoying ones ..... lookout seems to be trying to make up for my declining participation. I'll still be here, i'll just be in the shadows....like dagney

ps, syc, i still think you're a homo.
love jim
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #14
Tomas Rueda
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
I'm 27 and I don't have those answers either. Don't feel too bad about it.

(uses sleeve to wipe sweat off the forehead) Phew, at least l know it is not that bad.

...but, I'm living in the midst of the time on which I have to make the foundations of my career...In fact, Im beginning to think that a career is a guized, hidden form of slavery in which bussinesses make more profits, whether the person is white-collared or blue-collared, and new members are added at every graduation.

Like, everyone in high school tell you to do your best in every single class, every single ECA (extra-curricular activity), every single test (now that is weird, asking a nerd to be a nerd and a stud at the same time, or vice-versa)

They tell you to take your PSAT, SAT,ACT, or other standarized test at least twice every year.

Then, at the end of this government-funded, job-making machine, one sighs and says that they have ruined their lives.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #15
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
career is a guized, hidden form of slavery in which bussinesses make more profits, whether the person is white-collared or blue-collared, and new members are added at every graduation.
well, duh. you've learned the most important lesson.

what i've found to be the first required step to being successful is to make the decision:
A) do i work to live?
B) do i live to work?

don't let your job or career aspirations define you. oh yeah, and don't forget that after your first post college job, your GPA and extra curricular activity don't matter at all - and generally, neither does you degree.