The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #16
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I wish people who did these sorts of things could realise for just a few seconds what they put their victims though. I don't mean as retribution, just to see if they have any kind of empathy at all...
Yes, a few minutes of their time screws up days, weeks, months or years of your life! At 19, my apartment was broken into and my TV, stereo, albums, etc., were stolen. For a long time, when I came home alone, I had to enter the apartment, and before locking myself in, I had to look all through the place, under my bed, in the closet and shower,.....and even then I wasn't completely comfortable for a while.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #17
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I went to see Stardust this weekend. It was alright....pretty good...

Anyway...It was raining and my husband pulled the car around to pick me up after the movie let out. I was standing there and a girl and what looked like her mother were leaving the theater quickly with what looked like the girl's boyfriend trailing after. Apparently some guy had just punched her in the theater and they were telling the boyfriend about it. He hesitated to get in the car after hearing about it, but the mom said, "don't worry she got him back really good". They quickly left (escaping the scene) and I see a guy leave with blood on his face with a green '13' jersey on(also escaping the scene). He leaves. My husband pulls around and just as he does the police show up and enter the theater. I saw the truck Mr. Puncher left in and I'll be careful to avoid that screw up....(it's a small town at times)
What would prompt you to punch a random woman in a movie theater?
My husband was hearing comments in the theater as we were leaving like, "did you see his face"?!?
That could have been anyone. Sounds like she kicked the crap out of him in response. I was glad to hear it. But jesus...can't everyone just have a nice Sunday matinee without the "RBS"?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #18
Pie
Gone and done

I'm involved in some major RBS right now. I can (probably) talk about it in mid-October. Till then, I'll have to hold my breath on this thread.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #19
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
It does have LoJack with Early Warning and equity protection. I gave him the last part for free.
You have the heart of an angel, inside the body of a big cuddly teddy bear. The Cellar's own Mother Teresa, ladies and gents: lumberjim.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #20
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
You have the heart of an angel, inside the body of a big cuddly teddy bear. The Cellar's own Mother Teresa, ladies and gents: lumberjim.
Don't worry, he made it back on the undercoating and the "rusty jones".
Old 09-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I know what kind of a person I am.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #22
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
I know what kind of a person I am.
Share with us.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I have been. for almost 4 years now.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:29 AM   #24
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Spexxvet, enough is enough when the bad guy is lying there with a third eye and no brain wave. If you can arrange that. You can't always, but when you can, that chap's troublemaking years have come to a sudden end, and that's what's wanted.

At least by non-hoplophobes -- who seem to be the people with sense on their side in such matters.

Raging against self defense never works. Particularly on those who prefer self-defense to death.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #25
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Spexxvet, enough is enough when the bad guy is lying there with a third eye and no brain wave. If you can arrange that. You can't always, but when you can, that chap's troublemaking years have come to a sudden end, and that's what's wanted.

At least by non-hoplophobes -- who seem to be the people with sense on their side in such matters.

Raging against self defense never works. Particularly on those who prefer self-defense to death.
So explain how the jackee's having a handgun, in this situation, would have helped.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #26
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

If you think there's a chance of this happening to you, which there is, what are you doing to prevent it from happening, or to prepare for it if it does? I don't just mean carjacking, but all manner of assault.

The best defense is to avoid the situation in the first place, be aware of your surroundings, stay out of certain high-risk places, keep your car well maintained and gassed up, avoid being the victim as much as possible. Beyond that, learn to defend yourself, at least a little.

Here's a video called Carjacking Defense Moves. I don't know if this would have helped in the particular situation being discussed, but at least it gets you thinking about options, instead of being resigned to be the victim.

(Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to imbed the video.)

There are lots of other self-defense videos on that site, but I haven't watched them.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #27
Cicero

Good advice HLJ....too bad the "high risk places" have turned into everywhere. That's the nature of RBS....it's not random if you know it's likely.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #28
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Good advice HLJ....too bad the "high risk places" have turned into everywhere. That's the nature of RBS....it's not random if you know it's likely.
But if you think of it in terms of probability, some places are much more conducive to RBS - you can reduce your odds of being victimized by avoiding certain places.

Other things can increase your risk: if you walk around wearing lots of gold and jewelery; if you tend to get drunk and pass out in alleys; if you drive certain car models (which is why I'm surprised the guy in this story replaced his car with the same model); if you walk down the street unaware of what's happening around you - you'll increase your risk of being a victim.

You can't decrease your risk to zero, but you can substantially reduce it.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #29
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
There....this is a good response. Again.

ie: I am agreeing with you. Always be prepared is my point.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I missed Cloud's post #2 on what "RBS" meant, so I checked it on urbandictionary.com

This thread is hilarious and y'all didn't know it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote