The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #16
AZjanny
Frodo failed. Bush has the Ring.

Who the hell rides around with open buckets of paint?
AZjanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

This is what I used to dread when I brought the preschool fish tanks home for the summer
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #18
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Reminds me of this one...
Attached Images

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #19
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandman View Post
Reminds me of when I lost my virginity in the back of *my* car....
Missed?
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #20
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Reminds me of this one...
Now that is scary!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #21
RellikLaerec
Faithful Companion

Can you imagine what the scene would of been like if it was red paint instead of off-white? First EMT on the scene would be traumatized thinking it was blood!
RellikLaerec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #22
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Wild. So was it totalled?
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #23
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Wild. So was it totalled?

Totalley painted !!!
Old 03-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #24
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Confession time for me also.

Mrs CF was busy painting emulsion on the bedroom walls and was close to running out. I offered to go to the local DIY to pick up a gallon can for her - nice light pinky colour. I usually take my old work-horse Passat for these sort of jobs, but being a sunny day, I decided to jump in the Audi Cabrio, drop the roof to enjoy the sunshine, and use that instead.

I knew there was risk attached to doing this, but so long as I took it steady and didn't break too hard I was sure I'd be OK. Wrong decision.

I bought the paint - the tin even had those little extra retaining clips all round the lid. I placed the tin in the front passenger well where I could see it and moved the seat as far forward and as close to the tin as I could to improve stability, and off I went.

No problems. I was going slow and steady. I pulled up smoothly at the T-junction near the DIY place where I had to turn right. As we drive on the left, this entailed crossing to the far side of the road to get into the left side lane. Luckily the road had a centre lane for traffic turning from the left into the road I was in taking those cars across my path.

The road to my right was completely clear - no problem there. Two cars were coming from the left. The first, a VW Golf, was in the far lane and clearly going straight on. The second, a Volvo, moved into the centre lane to turn into my road. He slowed down and signalled to me to go out in front of him, so I acknowledged him and started to move out.

I'd been looking at the Volvo driver all this time and turned my head now to the front, only to see that at the last second the VW driver had decided that he didn't want to go straight on at all, but actually had meant to turn right into my road. He was now coming across and directly in front of me!

Annoying , but no real problem, I thought, as I was only do 5 mph, so I braked quickly to ensure I stopped and he waved thanks to me, smiled, and drove past me and into the road I was leaving.

What he coudn't see was the slow-motion action of a gallon tin of pink emulsion tipping forwards and hitting the floor. Then, as it hit the floor, discarding the retaining clips around its lid, which were suitably and immediately followed by the lid itself, as if chasing after them!.

Time then decided to come out of slow motion and I was aware of the front passenger well filling rapidly with a gallon of pink emulsion! Panic! What to do - If I touched the tin I would get paint on my hands and then without doubt I would get paint everywhere else as well!

I watched not knowing at that stage and for about five seconds that seemed like five minutes what I should do. My emotions were telling me to chase after the VW driver to give him a piece of my mind for causing this accident. My common-sense side was luckily assessing the situation differently. The paint was being contained inside the well. There was a strengthening bar ridge running laterally across the car stopping the paint going anywhere else. Home was 5 minutes away, so that was the place to head. The sight of pink emulsion reflecting gently in sunlight, however, wasn't the calming influence it might have been in other circumstances, but I somehow managed to keep cool and to get home without further mishap.

Mrs CF wasn't amused! After some suitable discussion about the incident, which I think resulted in her going inside the house slamming (make that welding) the back door shut as she did so, and me obsessively muttering obscenities under my breath, there was nothing left but to proceed with baling pink emulsion out the car well.

First job was to rescue the tin. That went OK - a bit messy but nothing to add to the present chaos. Then it was a case of scooping out the paint as much as I could and returning it to the tin. Amazingly, I managed to recover about three-quarters of the tin. I suppose, that if looking for that elusive silver-lining to the event. the only good thing about it all was that it was emulsion, so water soluble - I could now set to cleaning the well out properly.

Two hours later, with bowls of water first, and eventually hose going full blast going on the mats, I had more or less cleaned them so that they were just slightly off their original beige/oat colour. In the end, as the sun set, there was just one awkward splash inside the car that just wouldnt budge, but that was up and behind the botteom of teh dashboard, so I left it there.

So there you have it - it happened to me even with the lids on. To cap it all, though, our neighbour owns a paint store - he was away at the time, otherwise I would have bought it from him. The main difference then would have been that he ALWAYS makes sure that any tin of paint being transported by a customer in their own car, is secured inside a clear and water-tight plastic bag first.

Now why didn't I think of that....?

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 03-24-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #25
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
...the tin even had those little extra retaining clips all round the lid.
You guys have weird paint cans over there. Our paint can lids are the same metal as the can, hammered into place, and require a separate metal key to get them off. I have personally thrown a full paint can onto the cement (well not intentionally, I was swinging my arm and it slipped out of my hand) and it didn't come open.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 AM   #26
SPUCK
Professor

Well I had a quart of custom industrial tan paint(enamel), I brought into my work office onto the tile linoleum squares. I had to look up something about spray gun settings on my computer. As I approached my desk I dropped it... It lit on the floor and that hammered on lid - burst - clear off and rolled across the floor... I stared in dismay and uncertainty at that 6 foot diameter puddle now surrounding my office chair's rollers. I didn't even possess a rag. I ran to the store bought a case of paper towels and ran back. I took two rolls and completely unrolled them onto the now 8 foot diameter lake. I dragged in a garbage can, picked up the whole dripping mess and shoved it into the can. The fumes were so bad I had to wear a chemical respirator. Once I had the bulk up there was a drying sticky layer left on my nice aqua blue linoleum. The only thing I could do was pour lacquer thinner all over and then wipe the new mess up. This stripped the top off the linoleum leaving flat aqua blue sans the colorful accent flecks... I then had to abandon the office for two days while fans tried to clear the stink out, hoping the whole time nothing would spark and blow the roof off.

Now there is a dirty brown circle 8 feet in diameter in the middle of my office floor as every dirt molecule in the area sticks to this dull finish.

So! Ican attest to the fallibility of hammered on lids.
And my own lack of coordination...
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No container is klutz proof.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #28
jinx
Come on, cat.

The Kilz colored paint comes in containers with screw caps. Genius.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:11 PM   #29
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I spilled a full gallon of very expensive latex paint in the back of my Explorer when I had to make a hard brake last year. American can, lid hammered on, yaddayadda. Hell of a mess, but just one more in a long series of indignancies that my poor truck has suffered.