The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-05-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
crossfire
The White Rapper

Movie reviews

Just like the video game forum, here is a forum for movie reviews. I don't know if this one was already started, but here's another one. First of all, I gotta say that my favorite movie is Shaun of the dead or t2. The three worst movies i have ever seen were Kung Pow, House of the Dead, and Darkness.
crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Lemony Snickets A Series of Unfortunate Events SUCKED!

I took my 4 & 5 yo to see it and it was unbelievably gawd-awful.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Miracle: The 1980 Olympic Hockey movie. I finally saw it last night. Maybe I was their target audience, since I watched the televised games as a 15yo into pond hockey, but it really felt like the times. I don't know how a younger person would react to it. The thing did touch me. One interesting thing was that you could see the beginnings of the tragedy-a-thon that recent Olympic coverage has become in Jim Craig's story. Its almost like they've forgotten how to tell stories on tv with their over-production. It was interesting that they told the story from Herbs perspective and then addressed the question of it being about Herb or the team with the news conference scenes. It was about the team. I think.

Lake Placid must have been a tough place to run those games, the traffic there can be a PIA. If you could close off the main drag to autos somehow it would be great location.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

My favorite movies: LOTR trilogy, Contact, Signs.
Worst that I won't sit through, even on cable: Kung Pow, Bubba Ho-Tep, Flight of Dragons, Hobbit/LOTR cartoon movies, any movie with Tim Allen.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Recently, I watched and actually enjoyed <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369339/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9Y29sbGF0ZXJhbHxodG1sPTF8bm09b24_;fc=1;ft=9;fm=1">Collateral</a>. Tom Cruise really didn't suck in this film and the camera work was really well done. The plot kind of thinned out towards the end, however...
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff

Lake Placid must have been a tough place to run those games, the traffic there can be a PIA. If you could close off the main drag to autos somehow it would be great location.
From what I remember it wasn't too bad, the event locations are really spread out with only a few, including the hockey arena, being right in Lake Placid. We didn't see 'the miracle" but did go to a bunch of other events. Later, the local ski team that I was on often competed at Mt Vanhoevenberg and Whiteface Mt.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #7
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Napoleon Dynamite is HILARIOUS! Just let your mind go and don't think to hard when you watch it. You'll get a good laugh.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
any movie with Tim Allen.
Even Toy Stories 1 and 2? Those are about the only movies my kid likes that I can sit through nowadays. Them and Iron Giant.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Tim Allen was also good in Galaxy Quest, though I do tend to avoid him otherwise.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
Pete
Resident President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Miracle: The 1980 Olympic Hockey movie. I finally saw it last night. Maybe I was their target audience
The part I liked best was when the kids asked you "Daddy, were you alive then?"

Last edited by Pete; 01-07-2005 at 02:08 PM. Reason: missed part of the quote
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #11
elf
Yay! We're Dooomed!

Location: Mostly: New York. Most Recently: New Jersey. Currently: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
I took my 4 & 5 yo to see it and it was unbelievably gawd-awful.
noooo.... I thought it rocked. Maybe not so much for the four/five-year-old range, but for my nine & eleven-year-olds ... We enjoyed it. . .

The leeches scared the bejeezus out of my boyee, though. He jumped up, "Mom, I <i>gotta</i> go to the bathroom. . . now!" Too funny for words.

I also liked the costuming, but that's probably because I'm enthralled by goth-esque and victorian kind of styles. The little buckles up baby Sunny's sleeves? Perfect.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:21 PM   #12
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Two greats off the top of my head:

Blade Runner - Excellent sci-fi movie. The dark atmosphere of the whole thing was impressive. However, I prefer the theatrical version with the overdubs and not the theatrical version. Fortunately, I've got the VHS 'cause the only thing available on dvd is the director's cut.

Favorite quote - "Sushi - that's what my ex-wife used to call me - cold fish."

The Thin Man - Excellent mystery/comedy. Lots of witty dialog. Powell and Loy were especially good together.

Favorite quote -

Nick Charles: I'm a hero. I was shot 2 times in the Tribune.
Nora Charles: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.
Nick Charles: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #13
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
I thought is started and ended a bit tediously, but found the middle bits quite enjoyable.

Same with Life Aquatic - Wes Anderson's worst movie, but still one of the better films last year.

Phantom of the Opera was disappointing - Christine was the only cast member who could sing particularly well. Though I should say I'm not a huge fan of the musical soundtrack even with great singers.

Meet the Fockers was passable but not up to the level of its predecessor. It relied a bit too heavily on surname wordplay. The baby was cute.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #14
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

My girls are pre-teen, so I see a lot of that kind of movie.

Last night it was Princess Diaries 2. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The plot was predictable. But Hathaway and Andrews were both charming and there was enough humor to make it watchable.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My family saw Lemony Snicket. It wasn't great art, but it was harmless entertainment for the whole family, and I always enjoy watching Jim Carrey do his thing.

OC - Back when I used to do the movie review thing for the UMKC school paper, one of the films I got passes to was Contact. I was enraptured, having long been a Sagan fan. At the end, as the lights came up, this teenager behind me stood up and said, "That movie sucked! Nothing happened!"

It was then that I knew there was no future for our race.

Last edited by Elspode; 01-09-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote