The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #106
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
The rules of the House under Pelosi are more open than under the previous Republican majority Congress
Diversion #1
Quote:
Lobbying/earmark/ethics is more open as a result of the Democratic reform (not enough for me) than the previous Republican majority Congress
Diversion #2
Quote:
But whats the point of arguing this.
Hedge #1
Quote:
I dont disagree that both parties are far from perfect when use the majority position to their advantage.
Hedge #2
Quote:
But just as is the case with Merc, I guess I cant expect you either to acknowledge that an editorial making sweeping generalizations based on one unnamed bank while ignoring the facts regarding four less briefly mentioned banks was a bit dishonest, to say the least.
Insult #1
Quote:
Its really not that hard.
Insult #2

None of that changes the FACT that the D's are using scare tactics just like the R's. That is the real fact.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #107
Redux

If you want insult...keep pushing me to the TW mode

And yet, you still cant acknowledge that your editorial, the basis for this most recent exchange today, was dishonest.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #108
classicman

Well, honestly - nothing you said had anything to do with the fact I stated. You went off in 6 different directions with very typical liberal talking points. I didn't dispute any of them because they had nothing to do with my point which you quoted. Its like a computer generated response. OR even better when a politician is asked a direct question - and goes off on a tangent not germane to the actual subject at hand.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #109
Redux

Hey..Merc (with his bullshit and baseless references to me representing Obama as God like or a Savior), then you (with your Tarp II and D strong arm tactics) were the ones who went off on tangents away from your editorial...I just responded.

And yet, you still cant acknowledge that the editorial, the basis for this most recent exchange today, was dishonest.

Neither one of you guys can take that one small step...its kinda funny.

Yet, I acknowledge that with more information on that unnamed bank (the point I made repeatedly only to be ignored by you guys), I would have no problem with a waiver if it met the capital/lending standards... and you call me long-winded (hmmmm...insult?) ....go figure.

Last edited by Redux; 04-06-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #110
classicman

I posted the link and then when you finally read it, I commented. Don't say that I ignored you. I didn't, not at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Glad you finally read the link there Redux. Does that change the situation at all. Hypothetically then, ...
You just continued on your editorial of talking points which had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. You brought up transparency, the rules of the house, Lobbying/earmark/ethics, sweeping generalizations and more.
I addressed each of your points - none of which were relevant to the topic.

No, I do not think the editorial was dishonest, I think it was one mans opinion, no different than anything here actually. I didn't mean to insult with the "long winded" reference. If I did, I apologize. I have actually rather enjoyed debating topics and discussing things with you. You have a very fresh and cohesive approach.

If you have issues with Merc, thats fine - take them up with him. Leave me out of it.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #111
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I posted the link and then when you finally read it, I commented. Don't say that I ignored you. I didn't, not at all.
For the record, in my first post on the editorial (after reading it), I wrote that "I would like to see more than just this editorial (opinion) before jumping to conclusions."

But that is what some editorials do...jump to conclusions, w/o having all the facts, with the hope that it will be widely circulated and perpetuated and suddenly believed to be completely factual.

Quote:
No, I do not think the editorial was dishonest, I think it was one mans opinion, no different than anything here actually. I didn't mean to insult with the "long winded" reference. If I did, I apologize. I have actually rather enjoyed debating topics and discussing things with you. You have a very fresh and cohesive approach.
My issue is when the (or any) opinion is presented as more than what it is (not you).

No apology necessary.

And no, I am not the "fresh" prince, just an old policy wonk..and cant claim to always be "cohesive" (unless you know washington double speak)

Quote:
If you have issues with Merc, thats fine - take them up with him. Leave me out of it.
I aspire to Merc's ignore list (j/k)..he threatened but came up short on the follow through.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #112
classicman

Excellent - now, hypothetically speaking...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #113
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Hey..Merc (with his bullshit and baseless references to me representing Obama as God like or a Savior), then you (with your Tarp II and D strong arm tactics) were the ones who went off on tangents away from your editorial...I just responded.
And I responded in kind to your baseless bullshit that you assigned to me. Sounds like you can't take it.

Quote:
And yet, you still cant acknowledge that the editorial, the basis for this most recent exchange today, was dishonest.
It wasn't dishonest at all. You ignore his credentials because he is an occassional Fox contributor. He has more credentials than a nameless faceless self aclaimed "Washington Insider".

Quote:
Neither one of you guys can take that one small step...its kinda funny.
No small step required. The opinion piece was published in the WSJ and seemed to make some really good points about where Obama is taking us with his plans to control banks.

Quote:
Yet, I acknowledge that with more information on that unnamed bank (the point I made repeatedly only to be ignored by you guys), I would have no problem with a waiver if it met the capital/lending standards.
I don't see a problem there.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #114
TheMercenary

Quote:
LOL....OK.
You are a first rate apologist and propagandist for the Obama Administration.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #115
Redux

Merc....the facts of our exchange are here for others to judge for themselves...and that is fine with me.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #116
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
You are a first rate apologist and propagandist for the Obama Administration.
LOL. You're the exact same, for the GOP.

Both of you need to learn to stop enjoying being fucked over by the party of your choice.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #117
TheMercenary

That would be boring.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #118
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRR View Post

Both of you need to learn to stop enjoying being fucked over by the party of your choice.
Help me , Obiwan....you are my only hope.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #119
classicman

then you are in deep do do.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #120
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

are we still outraged?

It's exhausting.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote