Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I'm gonna swing a boom arm over, and, during the middle of a song, insert that statement in the form of soulful gospel-style background lyrics.

Do you think I could pass it off--have people assume they misheard me during the general noise of the whole band playing? Would they confront me?
Does the term crucify ring a bell?
The nigger faggots will be pounding the nails.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #62
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Then the time has come. For me to stand up in the middle of a church and say "GOD IS A NIGGER FAGGOT!"
http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17227

for those of you that missed this thread
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #63
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Old 02-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #64
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Doc Who Tied Vaccine to Autism Ruled Unethical

Quote:
In 1998, Andrew Wakefield, a gastroenterologist at London's Royal Free Hospital, published a study in the prestigious medical journal Lancet that linked the triple Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine with autism and bowel disorders in children. The study - and Wakefield's subsequent public statements that parents should refuse the vaccines - sparked a public health panic that led vaccination rates in Britain to plunge.

Wakefield's study has since been discredited, and the MMR vaccine deemed to be safe. But now medical authorities in the U.K. have also ruled that the manner in which Wakefield carried out his research was unethical. In a ruling on Jan. 28, The General Medical Council, which registers and regulates doctors in the U.K., ruled that Wakefield acted "dishonestly and irresponsibly" during his research and with "callous disregard" for the children involved in his study. (See the year in health 2009.)

After the finding, Wakefield, who now heads an autism research center in Austin, Texas, described the decision as "unfounded and unjust." He added that he had "no regrets" over his work.

The General Medical Council, which will now decide whether to revoke Wakefield's medical license, highlighted several areas where Wakefield acted against the interest of the children involved in the 1998 study. It criticized Wakefield for carrying out invasive tests, such as colonoscopies and spinal taps, without due regard for how the children involved might be affected. It also cited Wakefield's method of gathering blood samples - he paid children at his son's birthday party $8 to give blood - and said that Wakefield displayed a "callous disregard for the distress and pain the children might suffer."

The panel also criticized Wakefield for failing to disclose that, while carrying out the research, he was being paid by lawyers acting for parents who believed their children had been harmed by the MMR jab.

The panel's ruling follows a refutation of Wakefield's research from the scientific community. Ten of 13 authors in the Lancet study have since renounced the study's conclusions. The Lancet has said it should not have published the study in the first place, and various other studies have failed to corroborate Wakefield's hypothesis. (Watch a video on the story of an uninsured woman.)

Despite this, the effects of the media frenzy surrounding Wakefield's research - a study found that MMR was the most written about science topic in the U.K. in 2002 - continue to be felt in Britain.

Vaccination rates among toddlers plummeted from over 90% in the mid-1990s to below 70% in some places by 2003. Following this drop, Britain saw an increase in measles cases at a time when the disease had been all but eradicated in many developed countries. In 1998, there were just 56 cases of the disease in England and Wales; by 2008 there were 1,370.
Link
Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #65
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

*shrug*

There are many responses, clarifications and salient points that could be offered for the UK ruling and several other factually incorrect points in that article.

But I've been instructed by my therapist to stay the fuck out of these threads, as they are "negatively affecting my ability to cope" with my shitty life right now. So I'll have to defer to jinx indefinitely.

No worries classicman, it's not about you. Just bowing out for the time being.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #66
jinx
Come on, cat.

I'm so sorry clobber... I wish there was something I could do to help. I really do.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #67
Clodfobble

It's cool. I just need to practice keeping my mouth shut and keeping my distance from the topic. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, I just gotta get through it.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #68
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'm in your corner.

let me know if i get in the way.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #69
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

You're in my way. Does that count?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #70
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

In 5 posts this thread took me from heartfelt sympathy to lol'ing.

sheesh reading the cellar is sometimes like being bipolar.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

@ clodfobble - I'm sorry you are having a tough time.

Things will get better.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #71
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Clod has mucho fortitude, but she is allowed to let it all get to her at times. Im glad you are seeking the help of a therapist, Clod. Being able to let it all out and having someone else try to sort it out can be reassuring even if it doesn't really answer the problem at hand. Although I was rooting for you all the way, I think staying away from this fight for a while is an excellent idea. Having to defend your side of the fight ad nauseam is quite fatiguing.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #72
Clodfobble

The best part is that this therapist, by complete coincidence, turned out to have a previously-autistic teenage daughter who has recovered from about 95% of her symptoms through biomedical treatments. If I believed in signs...
Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #73
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
You're in my way. Does that count?
*puts his butt on dana and farts*
Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 AM   #74
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The best part is that this therapist, by complete coincidence, turned out to have a previously-autistic teenage daughter who has recovered from about 95% of her symptoms through biomedical treatments. If I believed in signs...
Wow.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #75
Clodfobble

There's tons of them out there. They're just too tired of fighting; they figure they saved their kids and that's enough. That's basically what she's telling me to do, but I've only agreed to it for the short term for now.