The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

June 26th, 2017: Cold Aged

My mother was always trying to get me to move back to New England by telling me the season were healthier, like PA doesn’t
have seasons. She’d come up with the most ridiculous reasons, like the cold winters make for rosy cheeks and prettier
women who live longer.
Photographer Alexander Khimushin has given me evidence to disprove the cold weather claim.

Young girls...

Quote:
Over the past 6 months, Khimushin immersed himself in the Siberian landscape, traveling 15,000 miles alone behind the wheel of an SUV to track down, and photograph, the indigenous people of this frozen land. Moving from the shores of Lake Baikal to the coast of the Japan Sea, he visited a variety of ethnic minority tribes, many of whose population is down to several dozen people.
Young women...

Quote:
Russia recognizes 40 different indigenous peoples living in Siberia, which range from the Evenki, whose population is spread out in different locations thousands of miles apart, to the almost extinct Tazy, whom Khimushin believes to have photographed for the first time ever.
Grown women...

Quote:
Khimushin notes that most official population estimates are off, tending to skew higher than reality. Facing harsh temperatures and dwindling populations, the Australian photographer captures the pride these people take in their unique cultures.
Old women...

Doesn't look to me like the cold did them any favors.

link