This was taken just after sunset
Attached Images

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:30 PM   #2
Torrere
a real smartass

Okay. Obvious question.

What are the two white poles?

Last edited by Torrere; 03-25-2002 at 06:03 PM.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:46 PM   #3
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

The "poles" are shafts of light from two huge lights at Ground Zero. It's real, and it's a memorial.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 06:05 PM   #4
Joe
Master of the Domain

those lights

I saw a view from the air, and the the lights are off the WTC site and located nearby. Ground Zero is still too active a site for art displays, so they did it across the street. The scale is also different than the original WTC towers, the lights aren't as wide as the real towers.

It would be cool if the same idea were used in a permanent memorial, but with lights in the actual outlines of where the towers really stood.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 07:21 PM   #5
jtm
Dog O'Nine Tails

Are there larger, high quality picts somewhere?
jtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 07:56 AM   #6
Tobiasly
hot

Re: those lights

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
It would be cool if the same idea were used in a permanent memorial, but with lights in the actual outlines of where the towers really stood.
The only problem with that is the cost of the electricity. I read somewhere that this memorial will be up for just a few months, but that it will cost $10,000 in electricity, which the electric company is donating to the city.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 01:03 PM   #7
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

How goes the progress of photovoltaic cells (aka solar batteries)? If they were sufficiently developed, you could let them charge during the day, then let the lights run off them during the night.

~mike
Old 03-26-2002, 01:30 PM   #8
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbaccus
How goes the progress of photovoltaic cells (aka solar batteries)? If they were sufficiently developed, you could let them charge during the day, then let the lights run off them during the night.

~mike
They aren't even CLOSE - those lighrs put out a LOT more light per sq foot than sunlight, plus you would have to make up for any losses in the system. You could do it now with enough acreage, but....

The thing is, thoses beams are LIGHT POLLUTION - if they were columns of smoke, people would scream. They turn them off at 10pm (or is it 11?), plus they watch for birds - they attract birds, and end up causing them to be killed. If a bird flock approaches, they turn them off - Plus, some of use want to be able to see the stars
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 11:47 PM   #9
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieG
The thing is, thoses beams are LIGHT POLLUTION - if they were columns of smoke, people would scream.... Plus, some of use want to be able to see the stars
Yeah, and if they were fountains of rotten sewage, people would scream too. But they're not. They're light. If you wanna see stars, move away from downtown NYC!

I like 'em.

For those interested, I found some larger pics at http://x.arpa.com/wtc_light_memorial/, although the photographer couldn't seem to get a good pic w/o barges in the way...

Last edited by Tobiasly; 03-27-2002 at 12:07 AM.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 12:50 AM   #10
Torrere
a real smartass

Hm, good point about light pollution.

Although I've never been to NYC, I've always surmised that you can never see the stars in NYC anyway =]
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:40 AM   #11
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly

Yeah, and if they were fountains of rotten sewage, people would scream too. But they're not. They're light. If you wanna see stars, move away from downtown NYC!

...snip
I have, I'm in Eastern Queens

And if you don't want to breath the smoke from those smokestacks, move away - and don't worry about killing the birds
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:18 AM   #12
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: NYC photo

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
This was taken just after sunset
*gets a bit misty eyed* That's just gorgeous. I just wish that could be permanent.

I hope that they can put up something permanent that is as symbolic as the lights (and no, not another tower building, which IMO, is just another target).

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote