The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #121
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

This thread definitely qualifies for the Hall of Drift!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #122
Nirvana
Back in 10

Now I know what a bank vole is...
Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #123
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Absolutely! Because of course nobody said they'd leave the country if McCain was elected.

"If she wins, I'm done. I can't do that for four years. And by 'I'm done,' I mean I'm leaving Earth." -- Tina Fey

"If McCain is elected and America staggers on further towards the abyss, then we will leave the country. That is not a problem for us.” --Seal

Others who have threatened: Michael Stipe, Stephen Baldwin, Susan Sarandon, Oliver Stone.

What great Patriots!

I wonder how they'll feel about having their wealth "redistributed?"
You do realize of course that Stephen Baldwin is a 'born again?' conservative and intended to leave the country if Obama won? Did you include him to show both sides of the issue or because you were being stupid?

BTW, I think Tina Fey was complaining about being stuck in a single role and was not making a political statement. I'm pretty sure that 'leaving Earth' is not meant literally, or did you think she was building a spaceship in her backyard?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #124
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Rich.... Alec Baldwin is the original of the "gonna move to France" celebrities. He became infamous for it. In your video, Stephen Baldwin is making a joke of that fact by turning it on its head.

Did you include the video to help Juni's point or because you were being stupid?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #125
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

For me, having information from my DNA could never, would never be about anything other than curiousity. Being caucasian, being easily identified as such, I suppose I have nothing to prove and no axe to grind. I know I have Irish blood, but as I say, I can hardly hate the English for their treatment of the Irish! Yes it would be interesting and fascinating if there was another race in there. Obviously the further back you go there would have to be the original link to Africa, but I'd be interested to see what happened along the way.

I am blood related to two women with a half-Chinese mother. Having seen photos of their children, it will probably only take another generation for this not to be apparent visually. They can't lay claim to any Chinese heritage, or at least not any knowledge of it - their Mum never knew her Chinese father (her mother was a prostitute on the Docks) and grew up without any Chinese influence in her life at all. But I'd be interested in it if it were me. I would not expect it to change who they are, how they see themselves - but it would be interesting.

I worked with a man who was of Indian descent. His parents were immigrants, but all the children were born in this country. The family were very Anglicised - his father studied at Oxford before bringing his new bride here a few years later. But it seemed so weird to me that he (my colleague) knew nothing about where his family were from. He couldn't even point to it on a map - only identify the region. His response was, "Why should I bother about that, I'm British." The only answer to this for the rest of us was to assume it was a response to racism. My Mum took us on plenty of trips round the places her & Dad grew up in London. She'd call us into the room if something on TV showed pictures of where Nanny grew up, in fact she gave me a book written by someone who lived in the same street as Grandad the other year (it was rubbish) just for the few names and places it mentioned.

The same was true to a greater or lesser extent for all the team. Only Bal had no interest in his parent's lives. Then again, he was the spoiled little boy of the family. Perhaps after all it was just being self centred
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #126
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Ancestry defines much in my opinion, if it is something that has been a part of your upbringing. By which I mean the story of your ancestry. It all depends how much you associate in to that story. I personally associate in very strongly. It matters to me what strands there are to my ancestry and what branches to my family tree.
Our family vacation this summer included a trip to Plymouth. MA, where we took a tour of the house where my ancestor (John Howland) lived after he came over on the Mayflower. It was an old house, and it was interesting to see how he had lived. It's nice to know the story of at least one branch of my family. My kids seemed to really enjoy it, and they actually got t-shirts that contain the names of the Mayflower passengers so they can point out their ancestors, some through their mom, and some through me.

What's not so nice is to learn that I'm related to Sarah Palin through some of the same Pilgrims. The names in bold are our shared ancestors.

Quote:
Palin’s Mayflower ancestors include William Brewster, John Howland, Stephen Hopkins, Joan (Hurst) Rogers, John and Elizabeth Tilley, and Richard Warren. She also descends from Thomas Prence, an early governor of Plymouth Colony, and her pedigree is laden with numerous pre-1650 immigrants from England.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #127
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'm quite proud if a little fuzzy on my ancestry. Native American on mom's side, Swiss on the other (my maiden name is from the french speaking part of Switzerland.)

How opposite are those backgrounds? Though there are many many other tidbits mixed in, those are the ones that stand out, and I wish I knew more.

Anecdotally, I know my great great grandparents were scouts for the union army, knowing the lay of the land and assisting. This is what my (maternal) grandpa told me before he passed away, and I have no proof and don't even know if the ages would work out.

My great grandfather (paternal) came from Switzerland to the town in which I currently live and he started a cigar shop. I have some old cigar molds, and my parents have a chair, an old cigar press, and many molds and labels. Sadly, the building has been torn down (was on Main St.) My town is full of people who are mostly second and third cousins (my more immediate family is from another smallish town nearby) with the same last name as my maiden name. The history is quite interesting to me, but I should do research to know more.

Does it all really matter? I guess not in the grand scheme, but it's part of who I am. I see very strong traits from my mother's side.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #128
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
You know what makes me irritated? All the people out there saying they are going to leave the United States now that Barack Obama is president.

Seriously? Then gtfo, now.
They're trying. They're just stuck in line behind all the fucking idiots who screamed the same thing after the last election went the other way.

I've been travelling so haven't read all the posts but here's my take.

Campaign is over. Election is over. I don't care if he's black, white, or purple. I don't care if he's democrat or republican. I don't care if he speaks well or stutters. I don't care if he is stoic or makes funny faces. I don't care if he is a single minded leader or a collegiate brain trust proponent. I care about the ideas he puts forth for my nation. I care about the direction he gives our military. I care about the new expenses he suggests and those he wants to eliminate. I care about how much government involvement he feels is good for my everyday life.

Congratulations on the win. You broke some barriers and made a lot of promises to do it. Now fulfill your promises.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #129
jinx
Come on, cat.

I want to move to a tropical location as soon as we can possibly afford it... for the weather and to get away from the rat race in general, not to avoid Obama's presidency, or McCain's either, had it gone that way.
Panama is topping the list right now...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #130
lookout123
changed his status to single

the tropics over Cabo? you really should go to cabo. I really like the pictures that come out of Cabo.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #131
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

It looks like Costa Rica lost. I guess I'll just have to be awesome out there all by myself!!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #132
jinx
Come on, cat.

Costa Rica looks lovely Cic, but Panama seems especially friendly to US expats. Unfortunately, there's plenty of time to decided.

Definitely going back to Cabo at some point LO. Definitely.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #133
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

You white people, always moving to Canada.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...ove-to-canada/

I've posted this before, but it's funny, darnit.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #134
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

LOL! I didn't see that before!! lol!

I've been saying it all year, only white people give a shit about diversity. I'm so glad that made the list!! lol!

Go to Mexico. Do they just love diversity? Love it love it?!? Hell no gringo!
Old 11-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #135
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Maya Angelou on Barack Obama