The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #121
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It's still there at the moment. I pass it on my commute every day.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #122
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
It's still there at the moment. I pass it on my commute every day.
You live in DC and work in Arlington? That's backwards.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:51 AM   #123
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I believe that the Church should take over Welfare duties and maintain a Nation's Armed Forces, as well as legal dealings and a high court. The Sectual State exists to educate, build public works, and maintain order.
In what way is the Church having control of Welfare duties, Armed forces, legal dealings and high court, different from an Islamic state where their religious body governs legal and military aspects of life?

Quote:
Personally I am against the Iraq war on the basis that Arabs can not have a democracy, nor do they deserve freedom paid for in Christian blood. That does not mean that I did not go down to the Recruiting Center yesterday and discuss my enlistment options in the Reserve. Because I was not born in America I take pride in being an American, perhaps patriotism should be something you should look into.
You take pride in being an American, yet you would change the most fundamental tenet of American existence (government by the people, for the people) and you denigrate Arabs as not 'deserving' freedom and somehow being incapable of democracy, yet you suggest you would like to see democracy replaced with theocracy.

You are one confused fellow. Ignore that comment about your being like UG. UG is consistent and coherent in his arguments.......blatantly wrong most of the time, but at least he makes sense.

Last edited by DanaC; 11-16-2006 at 02:55 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #124
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
You live in DC and work in Arlington? That's backwards.
Falls Church, actually. The reverse commute is nice.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #125
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonPrutz
That does not mean that I did not go down to the Recruiting Center yesterday and discuss my enlistment options in the Reserve. Because I was not born in America I take pride in being an American, perhaps patriotism should be something you should look into.
Well, send us your report as soon as you are in Eyerack and watch out for them Roadside Bombs.

BTW as for Iraqi insurgency, in war there's nothing such as pride or other Hollywood stuff. The only way to beat the Americans in Iraq is insurgency.

And the homefront being weak, perhaps it has something to do with all these lies and manipulation for a bloody war far outside US/UK homesoil, for what reason now the WMD's were a fairy story? Have you seen too many Rambo movies?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #126
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonPrutz
Iraq is clearly deja vue Vietnam? In Vietnam the NVA and VietCong were tough enough to actually fight us, to commit to seizing and holding stategic positions.
vonPrutz - learn history. For example, why did Americans massacre villagers in MyLai? Because they were so frustrated by having so many friends killed in ambushes and boobytraps; not able to fight an enemy that repeatedly 'disappeared'. Your Nam is not accurate.

It scares me when one so self assured knows Vietnam and Iraq are not same. The similarities are stunning. But then it explains how this current lying president could get naive Americans to fall for all those Vietnam 'deja vues'.

I guess you are still young. This is when young learn from experience and unnecessary casualties. A critical number being 'how many years beyond the age of 16 are you?'

Iraq is a perfect example of how easy a Vietnam mistake was made - complete with violations of basic military science AND a president who intentionally lies. Appreciate why a concept called ‘big dic’ is frequently found among those who ‘turn to the dark side’. The young are easily enticed by violent solutions.

Another lesson from Vietnam - the president will do anything necessary to not have that defeat on his watch. That part from history is repeating in Washington now. "Mission Accomplished" cannot be won. So who suffers the defeat? Do you see this ongoing Vietnam deja vue? Again, watch what is happening to appreciate more lessons from history. Many ‘big dics’ who preach support for the troops are actually those soldiers worst enemy. This president's actions will be firstmost for his legacy than for the advancement of America. Another deja vue from history.

“Mission Accomplished” war is identical to Vietnam complete with “light at the end of a tunnel” or “stay the course”. Different words; same lies.

In Vietnam, we had two choices – millions of troops deployed (as Westmoreland demanded), or complete withdrawal. We had those same choices in Iraq last year. Instead Nixon knew Nam could not be won, but massacred another 35,000 only so that Nam was not lost on his watch. Nixon ‘stayed the course’.

Nixon was so ignorant as to even go to China in some belief that Vietnam was really a proxy war against China. Today's president probably believes his lies about Iraq as a "war against world wide terrorism". Different details. Same lies.

How do we defeat an enemy when we cannot be honest enough to accurately define that enemy? Deja vue.

Ignorance meant we continued to waste men, material, and money on a war that America could never win. As in Iraq, Nam was created on lies, fought without a strategic objective, and therefore had no exit strategy. Years later, bills for that war would force America into recession and stagflation. This is when you learn lessons of history. We are reliving Vietnam because so many did not see the obvious four years ago.

And then we have the murder of Bobby Kennedy. Any hope of getting America out of a war (that was already lost) died with Bobby Kennedy. Hopefully we need not relive that part of Nam again.

Scary are those 'big dics' who refused to accept defeat in Vietnam and also advocated murder of students in Kent State. Hope we need not relive that lesson from history.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #127
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Wow! Your facts are just like statistics.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #128
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065
Wow! Your facts are just like statistics.
Those facts from history are a prerequisitie necessary to be a patriotic American. You want to see why Iraq is such as mess? Read David Halberstam's "Making of a Quagmire". Published in 1965, it makes the Iraq debacle and a potential American defeat obvious because it defines facts and concepts - not 'big dic' thinking.

BTW, to appreciate how so many here thought differently back then, review those many "The Cellar" discussions in 2002 and 2003 in Politics and Current Events. Appreciate how obvious Iraq was back then and how much so many here have changed in the past year.

But then in 2002 and 2003, support for a mental midget president was based more in emotion - little on what we all should have learned from Nam. I repeatedly cite those post not to tout my horn - but to remind the so many Cellar Dwellers of how their own mindset was their own worst enemy - and therefore why they supported this lying president's war. Learn from your mistakes because history says in 30+ years, another anti-American president will again try to screw the world by wrapping himself in lies, Limbaugh propaganda, and the flag.
Attached Images

Last edited by tw; 11-16-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #129
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #130
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
'big dic'
aaaaah, remember the good old days when every tw post contained "mental midget" and "7 minutes"? just seemed kinder and gentler somehow.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #131
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippikos
BTW as for Iraqi insurgency, in war there's nothing such as pride or other Hollywood stuff. The only way to beat the Americans in Iraq is insurgency.
Not only the Americans..... they are fighting, and killing more of, other insurgency factions, to solidify their positions....uncivil war.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #132
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
aaaaah, remember the good old days when every tw post contained "mental midget" and "7 minutes"? just seemed kinder and gentler somehow.
Any chance it is a hard-on for Pelosi .... scratch that thought.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:48 PM   #133
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Can anyone name an Arab democracy? I'm not sure if they can uphold our values of freedom myself, just watch the bloodbath when we pull out. The only reason that part of the world has any power at all is because they lucked out in sitting on the worlds largest supply of oil, how long do you think their 'modern' societies would last if the oil ran out? The Arab world is still stuck in the feudal era, you can't reason with a primitive society on modern terms, they just go back to their stupid clan wars. For that matter, can anyone name what exactly they produce? They buy a hell of alot, but nothing of value that isn't burnable ever seems to come out of that section of planet.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #134
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
They're confused?
We just lend balance to a society that otherwise threatens to fall over leftwards into hideous ruin and combustion, down...
Old 11-17-2006, 10:35 PM   #135
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Some Arabic countries grow some really fine coffee.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote