The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #76
Griff
still says videotape

So, I guess the mob writers who script football are not unionized? That is counter-intuitive.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #77
Drax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
The BSG movie is tomorrow.
Yep, and it may be the last we see of BSG if the final season isn't being produced.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #78
Drax
Banned

Quote:
A video from a Daily Show writer, with a special guest star:

Old 11-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #79
Drax
Banned

Question: Does this strike affect only shows on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and The CW?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #80
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

No, it affects shows on Bravo, TNT, TBS, Cartoon netwook, etc.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #81
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Except South Park.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #82
Drax
Banned

Well,, the only original I care anything about is [b]Metalocalypse[/i], and as for TNT, TBS, and Bravo...no watchie.

Ok, I'll get right to it. What about Stargate: Atlantis?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #83
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

As far as I know (I may be horribly wrong) the BBC authorises its own downloads and writers get paid according to their contracts - which include repeat broadcast fees. Not sure the independents, but it's unlikely they would attract talent if their set-up was vastly different. Will have to ask HM.

Although the BBC has a really odd clause in its contracts that stipulates they are binding within the known universe and any future discoveries or something like that. Will see if I can dig out the email from another friend in the business.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #84
Drax
Banned

Quote:
The BSG movie is tomorrow.
When's it on again? I missed it last night...both times.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #85
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
You of all people should know that how hard a person works or how much education they have purchased has exactly zero bearing on how much that person is worth.

The unique product the writers create is demonstrably worth more than they are being paid for it. Neither side wants the industry to switch to a completely free-market model, but if it did, you may be certain they'd be earning a lot more than they are now.
Why should I of all people agree with that? I'm very well educated and find that I'm worth a lot more than those who aren't. Although I must admit that there are many who are less educated than I am, making a lot more money than me. In fact I've seen some really wealthy people who seem dumb as a bag of hammers, but they've got good financial people around them. They got a lucky break at some point, took the right risk, and it paid off. Then they were smart enough to know that they were too dumb to make that money grow so they hired someone else to do it.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 PM   #86
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post
When's it on again? I missed it last night...both times.
Looks like you may have to go for the DVD. Or BitTorrent.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #87
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
Why should I of all people agree with that?
Because it's a fundamental principal of libertarianism: you are worth what you can earn in a free market, and not a dollar more. If your education is well-applied and helps you, great for you. But just because an idiot gets a degree or tries really, really hard doesn't mean that idiot deserves a certain amount of money from anyone. And likewise, someone with an inherent talent (say, writing) can also demand the market value for their work, even if they never graduated from high school.

Look at it this way. Right now individual writers are being prevented from charging a fair price from their work because of the presence of union-wide contracts. If your position is that you want to abolish the entire system of unions altogether, fine, but that's unrealistic. Given that the union structure is already in place and pre-determining the writers' contracts for them, it is only reasonable for them to use the options available to them (i.e., striking) to guarantee a contract that is fair for them.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #88
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

A fair price is not determined by collectivism. It is negotiated between the two parties involved (employer & employee) and nobody else, including unions or the government. A fair price is determined by the marketplace. Clearly the producers do not think this is a fair price, and the writers are trying to disrupt their business in an effort to coerce them into submission.

The producers should just hire more writers. Hollywood writers are a dime a dozen anyway. There are thousands of people waiting for the chance to take their place.

WORKING Hollywood writers make an average of $200,000 PER YEAR. There are plenty of very fantastic writers who would take this money and accept it with a smile and not demand more money.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #89
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Hollywood writers are a dime a dozen anyway. There are thousands of people waiting for the chance to take their place.
Yes, clearly. Those shows haven't missed an episode yet.

Quote:
WORKING Hollywood writers make an average of $200,000 PER YEAR.
I'm sorry, I rolled my mouse over your post again and again, but I just can't find the link to your citations on this subject.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #90
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
A fair price is not determined by collectivism. It is negotiated between the two parties involved (employer & employee)
A Hollywood studio is just as collective as a union. Studios pool together money, and unions pool together talent.
|_______________| [pics]